• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadet FA/ Medical stuff..........

CADETS: Would you take a 6 week Wilderness Emergency Care Course?

• Naw - not interested

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This is from some chatter offline.  Just wanted to add it to the public record. 

These might be good to add on weekends, as some camps run Sat as a Trg day also. 

As always, intial thoughts and input is welcome.

PO – Understands the importance of personal and family disaster preparedness.
- Lecture: The government’s response to a disaster
- Municipal / Provincial / Federal levels of response
- Municipal / Provincial / Federal organizations
       - Lecture: Your Community after a disaster – the problems
                      - Entrapment, injury, hazards, food, water, shelter
       - Lecture: The 72-hour family emergency kit
                      - What makes up an emergency kit?
  - Ideas and problems with emergency food storage.
- Ideas and problems with emergency water storage.
- Ideas and problems for home power generation. 
- Water purification options (home options)
- Activity: Design a disaster kit & disaster medical kit
- Activity: Present your kit to the class in a lecture.

PO – Perform a Search for missing Casualties
- Lecture: The Incident Management System
- Lecture: Types of Search
- Lecture: Search Leadership
- Lecture: Map and Compass review 
- Activity: Plan a search
- Exercise: Conduct a search

PO – Understand the fundamentals of international disaster operations
- Lecture: International disaster problems and real-time examples
- Lecture: The Phases of International Disaster Response
- Lecture: Starvation and feeding operations
- Lecture: Water operations 
       - Lecture: Shelter operations
- Presentation: Someone from the DART comes to speak about the experience.

PO – Understands the medical risks associated with travel.
- Lecture: Dangerous Plants
- Lecture: Dangerous Animals (Snakes, spiders, etc)
- Lecture: Camping in bear country (both south and north)
- Lecture: The Mosquito – problems and prevention
- Lecture: Travel Diseases and Immunizations
- Lecture: Medical Intelligence: How to research a destination

PO – Understand the medical system within the Canadian Forces
- Lecture: The Canadian Forces Medical System
- Lecture: The role of the OR/NCM/WO MOCs (8 of them)
- Presentation: From a CF Medical Technician (who served overseas)
- Lecture: The role of the Officer MOC’s (7 of them)
- Presentation: From a CF HCA/Nursing/ Medical Officer (who served overseas)

PO – Completes Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System training
- The WHMIS package with certification

This is a fantastic idea!! Great job!!

I think the age range(16+) is perfect, but would it be possible to slim down a bit of the program for those younger cadets who would be interested in some of it, almost like a taste test, if you will. Maybe even have it so it builds up into this larger program come CLI time?

I think most of the cadets, regardless of age, would greatly benefit from the WHMIS training, some of the more advanced first aid and maybe even a bit of the HUSAR...so maybe have those elements added into the basic first aid training they receive as more junior cadets.

Just a few ideas I had.

Overall though, this is all a great idea and really should be seriously looked into implementing.

MedCorps

I like your last. Are you going to send it to DCdts?

Combine it with scenarios (ie - triage after a disaster) and it would be perfect.

Too bad my AFU isn't a Field Amb, this could probably be run as an "optional activity" during the year. What a great way to introduce cadets to some aspects of the AFU (and perhaps recruit them as pres medics)

Cheers,

OCdt Wilson

Am I going to send it to DCdts... no. 

Largely because I am outside of the Cdt system and have no vested interest.  Do I encourage someone in the CIC to do so... for sure.  If DCdts (or whoever in your organization that makes and authorizes summer Cadet camps) wishes help in finalizing a CTP / requirements / etc they are more than free to contact me and I will gladly offer my time and expertise help them out. 

As an aside, since the first post here, I have seen the information go (by e-mail I was cc'ed on) to the senior level of the Army Cadet League as a backgrounder.  This is a good first step, and again I am will to work with them if they would like.

Cheers,

MC 

Week 5 – The Field Hygiene and Sanitation (loosely based around B-GG-F21-010/FP-000)

PO:  The Cadet will understand the fundamentals of field hygiene
PO: The Cadet with understand the leadership issues surrounding heat and cold ops
PO: The Cadet will be able to conduct basic field hygiene and sanitation inspections 
PO: The Cadet will be able to construct basic field hygiene implements.

Wednesday

Lecture: Individual Field Hygiene Issues
Lecture: Leadership and Protective Medical Countermeasure in the Heat
Lecture: Leadership and Protective Medical Countermeasure in the Cold
Lecture: Field camp layout: Where to put what.
Practice: Given a Corps exercise scenario - plan for heat / cold safety and Present to Gp. 
Practice: Tactical Exercise Without Troops: Visit and layout camps in different sites.

Thursday

Lecture:  Food Safety and basic field feeding inspections 
Lecture:  Potable Water Safety and basic field water inspections
Lecture: Mosquito’s, Fleas, Lice, Ticks, Mites, and Flies
Lecture:  Improvised Field Washing Stations & Importance of Hand Washing 
Practice: Construct two types of Field Washing Stations

Friday

Lecture: Leadership and Ensuring Mental Fitness / Controlling Stress
Lecture: Field urinals, latrines, and soakage pits
Practice: Make a tough field urinal and a soakage pit
Practice: Construct an 80-gallon field shower (small party task)

Hi Folks

Many many thanks to those that continue to contribute to this thread - MedCorps in particular - and
I hope will continue to do so. I'm amazed at the speed with which we can collaborate on an idea such as this.

Catalyst said:
Are you going to send it to DCdts?

As I'm somewhat inside the system I'm happy to start running with this concept. I've already begun a discussion with The Army Cadet League (They really are a committed bunch - and looking for innovation!)
We'll package this up and get a reaction. Remember its a slow but sure process - but I have a feeling we have a winner here, perhaps a "CLI - Wilderness Medic"

MC - I'll look into the course development process & report back - The biggest challenge I think will be staffing - or some form of Train the trainer - non trivial challenge.

cheers

National CLI Camp?  (3rd Years)
Probably... Thoughts?

Location?

I'm thinking CFB Borden / Blackdown, being close to CFMS and field trip-able  To Toronto for other resources
But then again I'm a Toronto person... (don't hate me - I was "Army of the West" for a long time...)

I would think this would be better as an advanced camp rather than a CLI, that way you could place an age restriction on it (16+). Also a CLI course needs to have certain leadership and instruction classes, and from the sounds of MedCorps' ideas it seems too busy to include the instruction classes. I know for CLI Adventure, D&C, Rifle Coach, and PERT (I'm unsure of Marksman, P&D, and Mil Band) cadets must teach one classroom lesson and one drill lesson and that usually eats up a whole lot of time. As an advanced camp it could cater to more senior cadets who have passed a CLI and their NSCE, so they are experienced and more mature.

As far as location, I would shy away from Blackdown. Firstly because Blackdown is pretty much at its capacity right now, especially with the addition of a twelfth company (in the form of Lima Squadron). Secondly I don't think the facilities are adequate. This course seems to have a lot of lectures and lectures are not fun at Blackdown because of the heat and the tents, it just gets too hot in them. 

Although I think CFB Borden would be a good location. They could do what the Air Cadet technical training courses did, stay at Blackdown and then get bussed up top for any learning. Again their may be problems with finding a place for them in Blackdown, but it could work. If CFMS is there then they would have the facilities, and would be more comfortable to learn there than anywhere in Blackdown.

National / advanced camp seems like a good idea over the CLI thing.  I agree with GGHG that working in the instructional reqs of such a program might be counter-productive.  

I would use Ottawa (CRPTC), over Blackdown.  CFMSS has little to offer this course.  Trust me, I have instructed at CFMSS (and will be again in the near future) and the place is a zoo just trying to keep up with it's Reg F crse requirements. 

Ottawa has 2 large universities 20 minutes from the Cadet Camp (both with labs and a BSc Biology program), a sizable paramedic program, National Defence Medical Centre (or what is left of it) / Canadian Forces Health Service Headquarters for support, DND Special Centre for First Aid, 4 big hospitals  with the associated professionals (one within 15 minutes from the Cadet Camp), and the Museum of Nature with a sizable bug and snake collection.  I think it would be a good fit.  Then again... I really do not know the Cadet system anymore.

Cdn031 there are some hidden advantages to both Blackdown and Ottawa though.  Remind me next time we chat via e-mail. 

Cheers,

MC

In addition to all that MedCorp's mentioned, Connaught also has experience already with national/ advanced camps as it is the home of the national marksmanship courses, the exchanges, the National Rifle Team, and the Cadet Para course. I believe they also have the space for more cadets. I agree with MedCorps, Connaught would be a good fit.

MedCorps said:
National / advanced camp seems like a good idea over the CLI thing.  I agree with GGHG that working in the instructional reqs of such a program might be counter-productive.  

GGHG_Cadet said:
In addition to all that MedCorp's mentioned, Connaught also has experience already with national/ advanced camps as it is the home of the national marksmanship courses, the exchanges, the National Rifle Team, and the Cadet Para course. I believe they also have the space for more cadets. I agree with MedCorps, Connaught would be a good fit.

All good points - and I agree - The Ottawa Area - Likely Connaught, would be a good idea
Also I had not considered the "I" part of CLI - Hmmmm that's a thinker, cause now you compete with Rocky Mountain, the exchanges and Para for the best candidates. I was really hoping for that 3rd year 15+ slot - particularly as this skill set would be very handy at Rocky Mountain - not that I carry any bias...(!)

Good stuff

Unfortunately with how long things take to change in the system, the interested cadets in this discussion will liikely be too old by the time these things come around.
In the interim have you considered running a Medical First Responder Course and/or Wilderness First Aid at the corp or Garrisson level?
For GGHG_Cadet, running a course and opening it up to a senior cadet from each GTA corps could work, and have their corp sponsor them to go.................... Just an idea.
Also, there are many resources available locally, like what about having guest lecturers in from CFMS [25 (Toronto) Field Ambulance], or local Paramedics. I know of one CIC officer in north Toronto who is a medic with Toronto EMS. Although the city guys don't know much about medical care in the bush. I started training as a Paramedic almost 10 years ago, and have been a Flight Paramedic, working Air Ambulance for almost 7 years. Except for a few years in Toronto, on the helicopter there, most of my time has been working in Northern Ontario and am currently based in Thunder Bay. If 748 would be interested, next im in the area I could come in and speak for a bit if you wnated. Lots of cool photos from over the years.
Just trying to help.

Medic65726 said:
Unfortunately with how long things take to change in the system, the interested cadets in this discussion will liikely be too old by the time these things come around.

Very true - and the realistic expectation - However I still think its possible to field this in the next two years.

Medic65726 said:
In the interim have you considered running a Medical First Responder Course and/or Wilderness First Aid at the corp or Garrisson level?

ACTUALLY - this is very much on my mind for the GTA area / Central Region/"32 Brigade" Cadets - MC has a great two weekend outline adapted from the SJA Wilderness curriculum and I could use some help getting it off the ground.  PM me if you are interested in being part of a working group - We could use a flight Medic! (If we could clear an LZ, could we... ;D)

This would also help us get momentum to launch the summer camp idea

cdn031 said:
All good points - and I agree - The Ottawa Area - Likely Connaught, would be a good idea
Also I had not considered the "I" part of CLI - Hmmmm that's a thinker, cause now you compete with Rocky Mountain, the exchanges and Para for the best candidates. I was really hoping for that 3rd year 15+ slot - particularly as this skill set would be very handy at Rocky Mountain - not that I carry any bias...(!)

Good stuff

I have been watching this with interest.

What about changing the age mind set to 16-17-18?  This would make it an Advanced Course, at the same level as exchanges and para.  Believe it or not, there are cadets who are more focused on post-secondary education than visiting the world.  Adding scholarships, bursaries and grants to top candidates (with the help of the League) may help attract those who may be interested in an education in a medical/health field.  Just ideas....

rwgill said:
Adding scholarships, bursaries and grants to top candidates (with the help of the League) may help attract those who may be interested in an education in a medical/health field.  Just ideas....

Great idea! - should be fairly easy to frame up as well to get buy in with League assistance

Springroll said:
I think the age range(16+) is perfect, but would it be possible to slim down a bit of the program for those younger cadets who would be interested in some of it, almost like a taste test, if you will. Maybe even have it so it builds up into this larger program come CLI time?

Springroll - You got me thinking - one of the issues we have at the camps is boredom on the weekends. We could structure some of the "Optional" content into a Saturday or Sunday afternoon training - Optional to the course - which could act as a "sampler" for younger Cadets already engaged in CL for example. It would also act as "Marketing" for the Medic Course, attracting future candidates...
Ideas?

When I see the term medic course it makes me somewhat uneasy...

Although medic is not a protected term, it infers either training in the art and science of medicine or (within the CF) employment as a Medical Technician.  Maybe we should call it Emergency Care Course (First aid + all the other stuff  we want to teach = Emergency Care) as opposed to the medic course. 

I just see someone getting nervous with the term.  Colloquially, it will become whatever people want to call it <smile>.

Cheers,

MC

OKay, after reading ALLL of that holly smokes MC you really went at it :)

I've got one simple suggestion so far. Replace any SJA course in the advanced stages with EMR. This will give the cadets something even MORE tangible than merely a certificate, this could lead to a license in their respective provinces and allow them to start practicing as an EMR.

I think this is important especially if they come from rural places. EMR is only 2 weeks, and will give them something more then SJA's advanced first aid, which I am sorry to say, is recognized by almost no body in the paramedical field and I said ALMOST. Not NO ONE  ;D

MedCorps said:
When I see the term medic course it makes me somewhat uneasy...

Yep - on reflection I totally agree -
Emergency Care Course - ECC - sounds good
Thanks for Keep us Honest!

Wow, even as a Reg Force Sig this sounds like it would be a blast to do! I hope this gets off the ground in the near future, lots of caadets will benefit from this potential course.

Back