• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadet FA/ Medical stuff..........

CADETS: Would you take a 6 week Wilderness Emergency Care Course?

• Naw - not interested

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

cdn031

Inactive
Reaction score
Folks

Thanks for the feedback on the Medical / Wilderness / First aid course

Yes I'd love to see the course outline - Please PM me and I will send on my email address - or if paperbased I'm in the Toronto Area - I'd love to hear more - I'm buying the coffee! I'm lucky to have a few senior Paramedics to bounce stuff off of as well - I think there may be merit in investigating further

We have to be careful we don't get negative on these things - The courses have to appeal to the kids (think interesting, intellectually challenging and fun). This would NOT be for 12 year olds - think 16-18 and yes I don't think a full TCCC course (as defined) would be appropriate BUT we cant throw out the whole concept. As for the funding - don't worry about $200.00 per kid - we spend a hell of a lot more on them over the summer than that.  Frankly a couple of good simulators would be in order too and thats a few grand.

The major Learning from TCCC is that one size does not fit all - collar and board is NOT always appropriate - you have to THINK and adapt. I dont anticipate that this is what they will run into in Canada BUT it would be an engaging part of a larger 6 week course.

Overall I'd caution folks to not underestimate the capability of 16-18 year old Army cadets in a summer camp setting. The program, in my humble opinion, has suffered  fro dramatically lowering the expectations of the Kids - and results have followed.

All of this has me thinking about a Medical Cadet Camp. 

It might look something like this (remembering that I am procrastinating from work right now have not totally thought it over, but I toss it out for discussion). 

Lots of practical scenarios to keep it interesting.

Week 1

SJA Standard First Aid Program
Level C – CPR
    – 80% needed to continue on training
    - Puts everyone on the same level
AED

Week 2

Basic Anatomy
Basic Physiology
Basic Microbiology
Basic Pharmacology Concepts (drugs and the body)
    - All aimed at the Grade 11 Advanced student
    - We make this interesting and dynamic
    - Include a dissection of a cat (like in 1st year university)
    - Include looking through a microscope (pair up with a local university for a day)
    - Include a trip to a funeral home (see a body, learn process  – did this in scouts)

Week 3 & 4

SJA Advanced First Aid (I ran one of these for the Cadet Program Once).  It is quite advanced but was well received.  I even got a letter from on of the C/Sgt’s indicating she used the reference letter to help her get into university and said it helped during the interview. 

The program fits well into 2 weeks and does include some advanced interventions / topics.  One or two people had problems with them, but all and all skills were learned.

Week 4

SJA Wilderness First Aid
Casuality Simulation Course

Week 5

More advanced wilderness first aid (not SJA) and interesting rescue topics. 
Field Hygiene and Sanitation Course
    - This is a US Army course aimed non-medico's working in unit field sanitation teams
    - Why worry about field hygiene and sanitation
    - Individual Preventive Measures
    - The role of Leadership
    - Covers the food/water safety, insects, sanitation, etc

Week 6

Disaster and Terrorism Topics
  - Intro to disasters and the problems they cause
- Intro to the concept of international health emergency
- Intro to Chemical, biological, radiological terrorism
      - Intro to basic rescue skills - practical hands on package by the GOC. 

There is my first stab…

Cheers / Thoughts?

MC

Hmmm, my thoughts in just a bit, but can we get a Mod to please split off this topic now? It deserves its own thread maybe under the CF H Svc Gp, as most of this would need input from more professionals and may even be staffed by CFMSS Borden...( I don't know... but I...um...hope not...)

Maybe split it off, but keep it in the Cadet Area, so that it stays Cadet-centric and not CFMS-centric.  The CFMS should not drive this program the Cadet Program should, as to keep it meeting the need of the Cadet Programs, and not some *******-child of the CFMS training.  Medical people will find this... or we can invite the over.

The CFMSS is not the answer to the problem <smile>.  Trust me (if you need elaboration, but I suspect you do not, PM me). 

I can see assistance from the CFMS (not CFMSS, unless it is teaching equipment) ResF and RegF (especially for the PMED) as assisting the program.  First Aid instruction is not a CFMS problem (see the CFAO on the matter).  CFMS support from the DND Special Centre (for First Aid) I can see.  The RegF CFMS units are pretty tapped out currently, and have problems filling Cadet Camp MIR taskings. 

I also have found in my travels that there are a ton of high-school science teachers, paramedics, nurses, ex-PA's, etc, etc in the CIC or CI side of the Cadet Program.  Might as well exploit this human-resource. 

Cheers,

MC 

Sure keep it here makes sense. And you're right, no need for explanations, you saw my little bracket me sees ;) boy I'm beginning to think this program might work already! I PM'd you btw, if you're in my neck of the woods, why not coffee or something a bit stronger. I'll bring my plans from civi street w/regards to kids and ACTUAL pre-hospital med care trg and see if we can gel. If not, well there's always e-mails. ;D

More elaboration... it is Friday, I am sure the boss will not mind <smile>. 

I have deleted:  - Intro to the concept of international health emergency as mentioned above, as it is really too complex and the time can be better spent on interesting stuff.

Week 6 (started at the end for some reason)

PO – Understand Medical Problems Related to Disaster and Terrorism
PO – Understand and Practice Fundamental Rescue Skills
- Based on: http://getprepared.ca/_fl/basic-rescue-skills_e.pdf

Monday

Lecture – Disasters and the Problems they cause
  - Lots of real world examples / pictures / video
Lecture - Disaster cycle and Incident Management System
Lecture - Mass Casualty Triage
Practice – Mass Casualty Triage
Lecture – Introduction to Basic Rescue Skills (GOC Package see above url)
- Safety
- Building Construction and Types of Collapse Voids
Lecture – Rescue Knots
Practice – Rescue Knots

Tuesday

Lecture – Events relating from Blast and Ballistics
                - Lots of pictures, video, etc
Lecture – Chemical Accidents and Terrorism
                - Cover the presentation of a chemical incident
                - Cover the agents and thier effects.
Lecture -  Five Stages of Rescue (and Leadership)
Practice – Make Rescue Aide de Memorie for exercise use.
Lecture – Use of Levers and Jacks
Practice – Use of Levers and Jacks 
Lecture – Biological Accidents and Terrorism
                - Cover the presentation of a biological incident (natural, accident, overt, covert)
                - Cover the CDC Cat A agents and thier effects.

Wednesday

- Lecture – Radiological / Nuclear Accidents and Terrorism
                - Cover the presentation of a radiological incident
                - Cover the types of radiation and thier effects. 
- Lecture – First Aid Management of CBRNE casualties (Part II)
- Lecture – Personal Protective Equipment for CBRNE
- Practice – Try out personal protective equipment CF and other.

- Trip to local Fire HAZMAT Team (and  HUSAR Team if in area)

Thursday

- Lecture – First Aid Management of CBRNE casualties (Part II)
- Practice – CBRNE First Aid Scenarios
- Lecture – Cribbing
- Practice – Cribbing
- Lecture – Chain Hoists and Floor Jacks
- Practice – Chain Hoists and Floor Jacks
- Lecture – Ladders 
- Practice – Ladders

Friday

- Lecture Strutting and Shoring
- Practice Strutting and Shorting
- Lecture Stretcher Drills and Moving Casualties
- Practice Stretcher Drills and Moving Casualties

- Exercise: Mass Casualty with Building Collapse.

Something to think about.. (Cadets does this sound interesting?)

Cheers,

MC

looks god to me, but do you really need a week for standard first aid? 

MFSA is 13 hours of trg time, including time for the written exam.

IAW CMP Inst 11/06, cadets are only required MBFA with CPR A, which is also 13 hrs.

Having said that, I believe that they should also recieve CPR C as part of the instruction.

Looks interesting, In the past through both the Basic rescue program run through the Alberta Public Safety Services and the Community Emergency Response Team program ,we have delivered Civ. Defence/ Light USAR training to kids as young as 14 so this is a worthwhile endeavor and realistic should it come to fruition.

If I can suggest some a couple of additions.

1) If you are going to do shoring with them you are potentially training them to access casualties in a building collapse and therefore you might want to look  at some form of confined space awareness tng.

2) I notice that you have added a lecture on safety but, if I can suggest you increase that to include safe use of tools.

3) I would also suggest a 2 hr lecture on WHMIS/ TDG and the replacement system GHS and use of the NAERG (North American Emergency Response Guide) AKA Haz Mat book.

my 2 cents

Week for Standard First Aid.. nope.

Week for Standard First Aid (SFA) with CPR Level C, and AED - plus - in clearance process (QM, all the briefings, Pl Comd interviews, etc, etc) then yes.

The SFA package is minimally (per the requirement) 13 hours.  If you run the following:

Introduction
Emergency Scene Management
Shock, Uncon, Fainting
Adult Choking
CV Emergencies and Adult 1 person CPR
Child Resuscitation
Infant Resuscitation
2 person CPR
Automated External Defibrillation (AED)
Severe Bleeding
Medical Conditions
Secondary Survey
Bone and Joint Injuries
Head / Spinal / Pelvic Injuries
Chest Injuries
Wound Care
Multiple Casualty Management
Rescue Carries
Eye Injuries
Burns
Poisoning, Bites and Stings
Heat and Cold Injury
Personal Health Care
Self Aid
Exam

You come up with about 22 hours of instructional time.

Hope that helps.  As it is at the start of the course, we need to leave some time for the normal administrivia that comes with starting a course.

Cheers,

MC

R933ex,

Good input.  Thanks for that.

With respect to confined space, I don't think we want to go in that direction, like confined space entry. I do think some awareness training is an excellent ideal.  The Basic program covers shoring from a mostly external point of view (raking shore & flying shore) but does have the dead shore also (inside).  I think a lecture on confined space awareness is good. 

Agreed: the safety lecture should talk about the safe use of tools.

The NAERG I was going to put in with the Chemical Accidents and Terrorism section. 

WHMIS... I am not sure what to think.  It is not very interesting, in fact it is down right brutal, but is marketable (when you have paper in hand) to a young adult who is venturing into the workforce. 

Hmmm... How long does it take to run again (don't even ask when the last time I did it was <smile>).  What do others think?

Thanks again...

MC

With respect to Week 3 and 4, this is the program I have run before for AFA.  I have taken some of the stuff out, as it will be covered elsewhere. 

Anything will a "Skill" comment as the regular see one, do one, get tested as a skill. 

I think it would be interesting to Cadets who wish to increase the knowledge and skill they have with respect to Prehospital care.  Then again, I am not a Cadet anymore, so what the hell do I know. <smile>.  This is your chance serving Cadets, don't be shy, input is welcome.

---
Advanced First Aid (AFA)

Introduction to Prehospital Emergency Care
The Wellbeing of the Prehospital Emergency Care Provider
Medical, Legal, and Ethical Issues
Baseline Vital Signs
Airway Management Ventilation and Oxygen Therapy
- Skill: Suctioning Technique – Hand Suction
- Skill: OPA
- Skill: NPA
- Skill: In-Line Stabilization during BVM Ventilation
- Skill: Oxygen Administration
Scene Size-up
- Skill: Identifying a hazardous scene
Patient Assessment
Assessment of Geriatric Patients
Communications
Documentation
Respiratory Emergencies
- Skill: Assisting with MDI
Cardiac Emergencies
- Skill: Assisting with NTG
Altered Mental Status and Diabetic Emergencies
- Skill: Testing blood with glucose meter
Acute Stroke
Seizures and Syncope
Allergic Reactions
- Skill: Assist with EpiPen
Poisoning
- Skill: Assist with Activated Charcoal
Drug and Alcohol Emergencies
Acute Abdominal Pain
- Skill: Abdominal Assessment
Environmental Emergencies
Behavioural Emergencies
Obstetric and Gynecologic Emergencies
- Skill: Childbirth
- Skill: Neonatal CPR
Mechanisms of Injury
Bleeding and Shock
- Skill: Direct Pressure
- Skill: Pressure Points
- Skill: Bleeding Control with Pressure Splints
- Skill: Controlling a nosebleed
- Skill: Treating Shock
Soft Tissue Injuries
- Skill: Bandaging
- Skill: Roller Slings
- Skill: Treating a gunshot wound
- Skill: Stabilizing an impaled object
Burns
- Skill: Manage partial thickness burns
- Skill: Manage full thickness burns
- Skill: Manage electrical burns
Musculoskeletal Injuries
- Skill: Leg Splinting
- Skill: Apply Vacuum Splint
- Skill: Arm Splint
- Skill: Finger Splint
- Skill: Splint Joint in place
- Skill: Hare Traction Splint
- Skill: Sager Traction Splint
Head Injuries
Spine Injuries
- Skill: Assess Motor and Sensory Function
- Skill: Manual in-line stabilization
- Skill: C-Collar Sizing
- Skill: C-Collar on supine patient
- Skill: C-Collar on sitting patient
- Skill: KED
- Skill: 4-Person Log Roll and Long Spine Board Placement
- Skill: Securing the Patient to the Long Spine Board
- Skill: 3-Person Log Roll
- Skill: 2-Person Log Roll
- Skill: 3 Rescuer Immobilize Standing Patient
- Skill: 2 Rescuer Immobilize Standing Patient
- Skill: Rapid Extraction
- Skill: Helmet Removal – Full Face
- Skill: Helmet Removal – Cap Type
- Skill: Immobilizing with helmet on
Eye, Face, Neck Injuries
- Skill: Impaled Object in Eye
Chest, Abdomen, and Genitalia Injuries
- Skill: Dressing abdominal evisceration
- Skill: Stabilizing a flail segment
Infants and Children
- Skill: Pediatric Immobilization
Moving Patients
- Skill: Direct Ground Lift
- Skill: Extremity Lift
- Skill: Direct Carry
- Skill: Draw Sheet Method
Gaining Access and Extrication

Cheers,

MC

Med Corps,

100 percent in agreement.

They dint need to be turned into ParamedfireUSAR rsq geeks. They need to be sculptured into persons who will take charge and help stabilize an environment until those second responders get there.

And I think if it comes to fruition I believe that this could be a fantastic opportunity, both to help the communities in which they live in but also to act as a breeding ground for the next generation of public safety professionals (assuming they don't go into the military)

Cheers

Tony

PS WHMIS can be done in 30 minutes and can be fun..If you have me as an instructor  >:D

Which brings the question... what does the Cadet / Canada / CF get out of it?

Assuming the Cadet graduates:

We have a young adult, with leadership training and potential (from the Cadet program) who:

Has St. John Standard, Advanced, and Wilderness First Aid Certification
Has CPR Level C and AED Certification
Has certification in Casualty Simulation
Has certification in basic CBRNE
Has introductory level experience in basic rescue techniques
Has increased exposure to the basic medical sciences. 
Has had exposure to the concepts of Preventitive Medicine
Conceptually understands the medical consequences of disasters and terrorism
Conceptually understands the medical problems of CBRNE incidents.

Where does she/he go with this?  This is a stepping stone to...

First Aid Instructor
Police, Paramedic, Firefighter, Personal Support Worker, Practical Nurse, RN, OT, PT, RT, MD
Wilderness guide, wilderness first responder
Human sciences in college / university. 
Disaster planner, safety professional, international development worker
Work with St John Ambulance / Red Cross / Ski Patrol as a volunteer
CF - Med Tech, Fire Fighter, In any trade these skills could be useful, promotes interest in PMed, NBCD

Hummm... not bad for less than 24 hours.

Enjoy,

MC

The Cadet Program Update that is being implemented next year will see Army Cadet courses be grouped into trade groupings such as marksmanship, drill and ceremonial, and adventure. The first summer course should be a general training that gives a cadet a taste of everything, then the following two summer courses (one of 3 weeks duration and one of 6 weeks duration) will specialize and expand on those trade groupings. Is it possible that you could expand this idea into two courses so that there could be a Cadet Medical trade grouping of some sort? I think what you've come up with so far is awesome and I really hope someone at DCadets can see this and run with it.

MC (et al)

Wow... Here I go off to do some work (and turn in some NSCE exams to the area office) and I come back to THIS
Looks like you have the course outline well underway!!

On the Disaster front - esp emergency preparedness and the tie in to the Federal 72 hr program - I think this is a natural fit for the Army Cadet world - and I'm happy to see you have included it

Also nice to see that you are looking to see what the "final product" is i.e. a Cadet with a take charge attitude and some knowledge to back it up

Question

I was thinking about it, didn't the Sea Cadets once upon a time run a 2 week medic type course in Quadra back in the mid 80s??

TC

Oh... I am not interested in the Cadet, I am interested in making potential high quality Med Techs for the CFMS (Cadet training + Medical Training + Highschool + Basic Trg).  It gives the person coming to the table have a little more emergency care experience before we beat it into them on thier QL3 <smile>.  

Okay... I am interested in the Cadet... damn, I must be getting soft.  

GGHG_Cadet:  3 courses... nope. I do not see it.  Not a bad idea, but this is how I see it:  

I see this course at the Cadet Leader Instructor level (CLI - Emergency Care).  The Cadet having done a Basic and Cadet Leader Camp already, brings a varried experience (the ability to lead a section) to the table, and is not a medico for her/his entire time in Cadets.  If youth want JUST prehospital care, then they should run off to the St John Ambulance Cadet Program.

Then again maybe it would be run as a post-CLI level course (due to the age of people who take CLI level courses being too young).  We want to target this at 16 years old plus.

Does anyone have a copy of the CTP for this Sea Cadet - Medical / Health Care course which ran a few years back (or in the 1980's?).

Cheers,

MC

MedCorps said:
Okay... I am interested in the Cadet... damn, I must be getting soft.  

While you might be losing your harshness - grin - I actually do agree. One of my thoughts in reexamining the First aid program at the Corps level is that a number of these kids will go on to the regular force, perhaps overseas -OR- In Civilian life they may someday find themselves in a bad situation. Anything we do now has a contributing factor in the future. Plus it "stimulates their interest in the Canadian Forces" in a way other than just shooting could. We may get Medics yet.

MedCorps said:
GGHG_Cadet:  3 courses... nope. I do not see it. Not a bad idea, but this is how I see it:  
I see this course at the Cadet Leader Instructor level (CLI - Emergency Care). The Cadet having done a Basic and Cadet Leader Camp already, brings a varied experience (the ability to lead a section) to the table, and is not a medico for her/his entire time in Cadets. If youth want JUST prehospital care, then they should run off to the St John Ambulance Cadet Program.
Then again maybe it would be run as a post-CLI level course (due to the age of people who take CLI level courses being too young).  We want to target this at 16 years old plus.

GGHG Cadet - Editorial comment here - I agree with MC that we may not want to spread this over CL,CLI whatever as a "trade" . Somehow in the last few years we have "Streamed" cadets into what I will loosely refer to as "Trades" (Drill, Adventure, Marksmanship) and lost the "well rounded" nature of the program.  (but that's ANOTHER discussion)
As MC points out age is also a factor.

Well… It is the weekend, and I gave some thought to Week 2 while on my run this morning.

Here is my first crack at it:

Lectures need to be dynamic, with models / video / samples / etc.  This week will allow an enhanced understanding of how the body works and the theory behind medication for the Advanced First Aid and Wilderness First Aid sections and provide the concept of microbes for the PMed section of the course and the Biological accident / bioterrorism section of the course. 

It will spark an interest in the medical sciences and I suspect make high school biology all that easier when they take the human body section <smile>.  This will help them get higher marks to get where they want to go in life <smile>. 

Week 2

Objectives:

PO – Understand basic anatomy
PO – Understand basic physiology
PO – Understand basic microbiology
PO – Understand basic pharmacology principles 

Monday

Lecture – Overview of body systems and directional terms
Lecture – Anatomy of the Integumentary System
Lecture – Anatomy of the Skeletal System
Lecture – Anatomy of the Muscular System
Lecture – Physiology of the Muscle
Lecture – Routes of Medication Administration

Tuesday

Lecture – Anatomy of the Cardiovascular System
Lecture – Physiology of the Cardiovascular System 
Lecture – Anatomy of the Nervous System
Lecture – Physiology of the Nervous System
Lecture – Anatomy of the Respiratory System
Lecture – Pharmacokinetics (Onset, Duration, Peak, Distribution, Elimination)

Wednesday

Lecture – Introduction to the use of the Microscope
Lecture – Classification of Microscopic Organisms (bacteria, virus, fungus, parasite, etc)
Lecture – Types of Bacteria (what they look like - g+, g-, spheres, rods, helixes)
Lecture – Adverse Reactions to Medications (the danger of medications)

PM – Trip to the University / or other Laboratory to do Microscope work
- Examine pre-made slides of various tissues
- Examine pre-made slide of various bacteria
- Attempt to Gram stain a slide

Thursday

Lecture – Anatomy of the Digestive System
Lecture – Anatomy of the Urinary System
Lecture - Anatomy of the Reproductive System

PM – Trip to the Funeral Home to see the process and an embalming if possible
          - I did this in scouts and it was quite interesting
          - Exposes the Cadet to the reality and sanctity of death
          - Chance to talk about the cultural differences surrounding death 
          - Chance to talk about what happens (physiology and technically) after death

Friday

Lecture – Physiology of the Kidney
Lecture – Physiology of the Digestive System
Lecture – Physiology of the Respiratory System

PM – Dissection of the Common Cat
          - Done often in 1st Year University (or some good high schools)
          - Great way to consolidate the anatomy and physiology learned
          - Great way to learn how tissue looks and feels
          - Chance to put instruments in hand and work on tissue
          - Dead cats are not expensive ($30 each for a big one triple injected)
          - Good way to finish the week and makes up for all the lectures 

Food for contemplation,

MC

Back