• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C8 for the Infantry

Argyll_2347

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, geez I haven‘t posted here in a while, but something has been on my mind since then.

In many photos of the PPCLI in Afghanistan, a lot of the soldiers are using the C8. Why is it that some do, some don‘t. Is it solely based on preference? There is a great mix of C7A1, C7, C7 w/M203, C7A1 w/M203, and the C8. For me in a reserve infantry unit, I have only seen the C8 with Armoured crews on FTX.

Just wondering...

Correct me if I‘m wrong, I was under the impression that the recce platoon(s) were issued the C8 in Afghanistan. All the other infantry were carrying C7‘s, regardless of preference.

^That‘s my impression as well.

Though I wonder why many guys didn‘t take C7A1.

3 PPCLI has the unique situation where we hold a Batallions worth of each (C7, C7A1, and C8‘s.) (this is **** during ATI) This gives us opportunity to tailor our wpn sytems to the mission.

Typically, the Cbt Sp trades (ie medics, veh tech etc) are issued the C8. Within the rifle companys, the standard rifle sections there are;

2 x C9, Most of our C9‘s are without scopes (the old iron sights), and the few that we do have, we tend to remove the scope and use the metal sight. Still,all the sights are zeroed. Iron, Scope and Night Vision.

With the C79 scope it has it uses and there is a time and place to use it.

2x M203/C7,

2x C7A1

Usually the Sect Comd/Sect 2IC have a choice of C7/C7A1/C8.

Platoon Siglr, Wpn Det Pers - C8

The problem with the C8 is that it was never designed to replace the C7 in Line units. We had a number of problems with the light barrel that caused a number of cook offs when fired at a high rate of fire. The american use the M4 which is a excellent wpn and the only major differance is that it has a heavier barrel such as on the C7.

The question in regards to the pictures, is that 3 PPCLI were not the only pers involved. There was a company from 2PPCLI which are from a mechanzied unit and all their wpns sytem have the C79 scope. They where only issued the C8 upon arrival into the theatre. As well the Engineers have only C7A1 and C9A1.

Personally I have carried a C7 for the last 5 years.

So in your opinion, you‘d prefer a C7 over C7A1?

Don‘t know where you guys are getting your info from

Try this:

http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/message?forumid=28173&messageid=1047954443

Note the part about having enough C8 weapons to equip all of "F" Echelon of the battlegroup (sans machinegunners, grenadiers, etc.), not just the recce platoon.

I prefer the C7 over the C7A1 anyday.

The C7 is more rugged.The C79 scope quickly fogs during the damp conditions and especially during the winter.
During the deployment in Afganistan, the sand and the dust cover the optics so quickly that keeping it clear was a career for some guys.
During Para drops there is also a greater chance of damaging the C79 or losing the zero more easily.
The C7 is better in close cbt (instinctive shooting) allowing for quicker more accurate shots. You can achieve this with the C7A1 but it takes more pratice.

The C79 scope is very heavy compared to the other optical sights that our allies use. When your carrying up to 100 pounds you can feel that extra pound or so.

The C79 Days are number and we should be getting the new optical sight within the next few years.

One problem that we experienced with the C7A1 during Peace Support Ops is that troops were using the scope as a observation device (Which it is) but the beligerants though they where being targeted.

What kind of scope(s)/optic sight(s) will replace the C79?

Can‘t remember (It has been almost 2 years since we trialed them) all the names and designations or even know exactly what type the CF is going to. The different varients included e-dot, holographic,and other low light opticals. Like with most items bought by the CF it takes years for them to decide and even then they don‘t listen to the troops. :mg:

Back