• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C7 Zeroing from the 100m with a 300m elevation setting? Why?

Are you perhaps talking about the C-9?

The CZP for a C-9 is 125mm above the Point of Aim when fired at the 100m point with sights set at 300.

It is done with iron sights - the C7 - not C7A1/A2 with C79/A2.

The rationale is so you could/can engage from 0-500m.

Realistically it is not a good battlesight zero -- but it is good for when we shot service rifle matches (100-500m) with the carry handle irons...

Forgotten_Hero said:
Well, thats how I was zeroed in BIQ for my PWT3.

???

I really hope that was with the iron sights.  Otherwise someone needs to redo the small-arms coaching portion of their leadership course.

Im afraid not. That was with the C79 optical sight attached. It seemed wrong to me so I even asked to make sure I heard them tell me to set it to 300m, and they confirmed it. At the time I wasnt going to ask questions about it though.

To set the sight to 300m, you turn the dial to "3".

The little metal tab is not 300m.  :)

To set the sight to 300m, you turn the dial to "3".

The little metal tab is not 300m.

Ok, enough with the sarcasm and disbelief. I know what they setting is what, and I know what they told me to set it to. This is what the aptitude test is for, to make sure you know your numbers, among other things, remember?

Forgotten_Hero said:
Im afraid not. That was with the C79 optical sight attached. It seemed wrong to me so I even asked to make sure I heard them tell me to set it to 300m, and they confirmed it. At the time I wasnt going to ask questions about it though.

Your Small Arms Cadre is RTFO.  I could go on a large rant about how typical this is in the CF and the incredible bunch of incompetant boobs the CF has promoted and the demise of small arms competancy in the Army - but the facts speak for themselves...

Your Small Arms Cadre

? I assume you mean coach?

I could go on a large rant about how typical this is in the CF and the incredible bunch of incompetant boobs the CF has promoted and the demise of small arms competancy in the Army - but the facts speak for themselves...

What worries me is, the PWT3 is something essential to pass to pass BIQ. If the zeroing is fucked from the start, that screws you over. I had to aim off the target to actually hit the target, and there was no wind. I thought maybe there was a reason I couldnt figure out behind zeroing at the 100 with a 300m elevation setting, but apparently, from your responses, theres not. That just makes me wonder what other things I was taught the wrong way of doing...

Forgotten: Think about it, what are the chances that you, a new recruit, may have misheard or misremembered, versus the chances of a RegF Infantry NCO not knowing how to zero a rifle? Sure, the latter is possible, but not likely.

Well, maybe KevinB thinks otherwise, but I think KevinB is just an angry angry man....

101. Zeroing Procedure. The procedure for zeroing the
weapon is as follows:
a. With optical sights set at 200, with the small
aperture set on iron sights, fire a five round
grouping at each target, resting briefly between
groups and ensuring that position and aim picture
are constant.
b. If both groupings are in the same area in relation to
the POA and they are both within the prescribed
standard, then zeroing can be done. If, however,
one grouping is to the left and the other is to the
right, then the shooter is not adopting the same
firing position or POA for each grouping and he
must fire again.
c. The shooter or instructor must determine the MPI
of each grouping and the average MPI on which
the adjustment of the sights will be based.
d. The shooter or instructor must refer to the table on
the next page to determine the adjustment of the
sight in order to superimpose the MPI onto the
CZP.

zero.jpg

Show the pam to your instructor and correct him/her. I'm sure you will be amply rewarded for your initiative and sense of duty.

Uh, yeah, just....it'd be a good idea to make sure nobody else is around when you attempt to correct your instructors.

Just to translate britney's post into english:

When zeroing from the 100 meter point with a C79, you set the elevation dial to 200 meters.  The center of the group which you fire should be 50mm, or 2 inches, above where you were actualy aiming.

Well, maybe KevinB thinks otherwise, but I think KevinB is just an angry angry man....

That's certainly true ;D

Show the pam to your instructor and correct him/her. I'm sure you will be amply rewarded for your initiative and sense of duty.
[/quote]

And for your reward here's 200 pushups....oh...wait...never mind.

Ahh the bad old days ;D

Forgotten: Think about it, what are the chances that you, a new recruit, may have misheard or misremembered, versus the chances of a RegF Infantry NCO not knowing how to zero a rifle? Sure, the latter is possible, but not likely.

Considering that I asked to verify, and I have other people from the course that can corroborate my story, quite possible and likely. BTW, he wasnt RegF.

Hahahahahaha. That instructor isnt from my unit, and if I "corrected" him on my course, I would have gotten in shit for talking back.

KevinB maybe very angry and dissolutioned - but KevinB has had to verbally and physically (with a frickin chalk board) correct M/Cpl and Sgt's - Reg force

Nothing new here.  With Canadian Arsenals Limited iron, we constantly had to repeat "To raise the MPI, lower the foresight, move the rear sight in the direction you want the MPI to go."  But still, we constantly had people moving sights the wrong way .  Same old same old.

TCBF's method of boresighting the 25mm chaingun:

1.  Dont.
2.  Pretend you are to avoid over-zealous AAA grads (Advanced Armoured Arseholes) from harrrassing you.
3.  Fire the zeroing practice.  Amaze others with how close your 'boresight' was to reality, vice theirs.

Tom

Front - Away
Rear - Towards
How they did it to us.

Now its right is raise - Left is lower
Windage Right = Right 
Left = Left.

I hear you on the LAV boresighting issue...

Ahh,

I love it when the trigger guys come out to play, NOT.

For starters, those of us who are SHOOTERS, and employed as shooters sight our weapons at in accordance with the 300 m setting.

I don't think I will explain it here, but those who have been employed as trunk monkeys, shooters and the like know why.

Suffice to say the initial zero is done at 25 m using a sighting targert.  Once the sights have been dialed in.  We go back to the 100 and confirm.  After that it is run ups from the 100, 50, 25, 15 and 5 m lines.

Most shooting is done within the 25 m box and around 300 m.

Back