• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C6 ejection system

Thucydides said:
On the totally off topic issue of the subject at hand, there is one exception in automatic weapons that I can think of, being the 30mm RARDEN cannon, which has an insanely complex mechanism which allows use in a very compact turret (takes up less space) and also ejects the spent casings to the front so they fall (via a chute) outside the turret.

Necessity being the mother of invention was one parent of the development of the RARDEN (The initial driver was the need to arm very small vehicles with large and powerful weapons to deal with the Soviet threat), and British interest in Baroque engineering was the other parent, explaining the way it was actually designed and built. Even so, it has been a reliable and relatively popular weapon, serving for decades in many different British AFV's. It is set to be replaced by the 40mm CTA cannon, which uses an entirely different principle of operation and an unusual type of round.

As I recall, it used to have a three round box magazine, but that may have been changed later.

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/miltech.htm

An interesting website....some good reading there.

NS

Old Sweat said:
As I recall, it used to have a three round box magazine, but that may have been changed later.

It has 3 round clipped ammunition, each clip fed manually into the weapon.  Not the most efficient or beloved of systems, but quite accurate and powerful.  The 7.62mm chain gun that was mated to it in the Warrior's turret was another odd weapon, only odd to the point of being dangerous with regard to the number of stoppages and breakdowns.

Somewhere around my photo collection I have pics of MJP and I shooting C-6's from the shoulder - and the hip and a number of other positions. All I have on the computer that I can find is us doing a 'Afghani drive by' in an Iltis with a C-6 from the utterly unsuported position  ;D

Any time I have been on OPFOR we have figured out some pretty creative C6 drills, like MILCOTS tailgunner... Miiiiight have gotten in s**t for that  ;).

Back