• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C6 ejection system

medicineman said:
They have short fuses.

MM

Shoot!!  Now they tell me!......I asked and asked and they just looked at me, but here I find out the real reason...... :-[

Sythen said:
EDIT: Actually, thinking about it more, I am way off.. Been forever since I fired a C9, so not even sure if I am right about it coming out the side.. Just ignore me.

Nope, you're right, the spent casings come out the side on the C9. The ejection port is below where the link is pushed out the side of the feed tray.

Also you can fire the C6 from the standing, from the hip holding the bi-pod as was mentioned. :evil:

PJGary said:
Nope, you're right, the spent casings come out the side on the C9. The ejection port is below where the link is pushed out the side of the feed tray.

Also you can fire the C6 from the standing, from the hip holding the bi-pod as was mentioned. :evil:

Before I die, I want to do exactly that, whilst screaming 'KHAAAAAAN!'

Brihard said:
Before I die, I want to do exactly that, whilst screaming 'KHAAAAAAN!'

A guy on my Battle School did all rifle PT with the C6.. He was a beast though.. 6'9 or something close and fit as heck. On a fun shoot one time, we were allowed to try shooting from the hip/shoulder.. Hip was fun, but I couldn't hit anything.. I got one burst off from shoulder and my weakness kicked in!

Let me post a link for you....it will bring you to an electronic copy of the Machine Gun Bible...  to be precise:

The Machine Gun (by George M. Chinn)
The Machine Gun. History, Evolution, and Development of Manual, Automatic, and Airborne Repeating Weapons
Bureau of Ordnance Department of the Navy, Washington, 1951 (Vol. I-V)

http://www.milsurps.com/content.php?r=347-The-Machine-Gun-(by-George-M.-Chinn)

There are a number of reasons that many (not all, but many) machineguns spit their empties out the bottom.

First and foremost among them is gravity.  Using gravity to help expel the spent casing from the weapon is a good thing.  Most weapons do not rely solely on gravity, but using gravity to help is a "good thing."

John Moses Browning is a genius.  Having assembled my own 1919A4 BMG (semi-auto) with my 2 hands (and a mill, vise, BFH, etc) I can appreciate that more than most.

I would challenge you to have a read of the books above...Volume 4 deals with a lot of the mechanics and design aspects. 

Chapter 21 of volume 5 on page 247 deals with the FN MAG 58 LMG (our C-6)

Chapter 42 of volume 5 on page 367 deals with the FN Minimi (C-9)

2nd choice...

Unless you have a mechanical background or experience with machine guns already, much of what's in there will be lost on you.

Just so you know.

NS

That's how I like to do it, I read things that are way over my head, and when I don't understand something, I look it up and keep going. (I'm not sure if that came across as sarcastic, but I don't mean it that way.)

I just read both chapters on the MAG and MINIMI, and I can happily say that I both understood everything in there, and that it also offered an explanation to the downwards ejecting thing. One thing though, it says the acronym for MAG is Mitrailleuse a Gaz. Isn't the acronym Mitrailleuse d'Appui Generale?

Sythen said:
A guy on my Battle School did all rifle PT with the C6.. He was a beast though.. 6'9 or something close and fit as heck. On a fun shoot one time, we were allowed to try shooting from the hip/shoulder.. Hip was fun, but I couldn't hit anything.. I got one burst off from shoulder and my weakness kicked in!

There is this classic video of the SAS/SBS at Qala-i-Jangi: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amV0kMEKXU4. Firing from the shoulder, one handed while holding the box of rounds in his left hand.

I stand corrected. I guess you can shoot it from the shoulder, you just have to be the manliest man in the world. On an unrelated note, is the amount of GPMGs see in that video standard for a British SF unit?

2ndChoiceName said:
I stand corrected. I guess you can shoot it from the shoulder, you just have to be the manliest man in the world. On an unrelated note, is the amount of GPMGs see in that video standard for a British SF unit?

Anyone who knows won't be answering the question.

In this case it's been publicized a fair bit through official sources. The SBS troops present dismounted the GPMGs from their land rovers and engaged with them.

Sythen said:
Man, that guy isn't even really that big either.. Just super fit I guess lol

The Vikings invaded Britain several times. Left a good bit of their genetic legacy.  ;D

I see. I was gonna say, I'd hate to be in that unit if we were carrying the ammo for what looked like 2-3 GPMGs. There couldn't be more than a dozen SBS guys there.

haha, yeah, I can probably think of a couple of other reasons why I'd hate to be in that unit!

On the totally off topic issue of the subject at hand, there is one exception in automatic weapons that I can think of, being the 30mm RARDEN cannon, which has an insanely complex mechanism which allows use in a very compact turret (takes up less space) and also ejects the spent casings to the front so they fall (via a chute) outside the turret.

Necessity being the mother of invention was one parent of the development of the RARDEN (The initial driver was the need to arm very small vehicles with large and powerful weapons to deal with the Soviet threat), and British interest in Baroque engineering was the other parent, explaining the way it was actually designed and built. Even so, it has been a reliable and relatively popular weapon, serving for decades in many different British AFV's. It is set to be replaced by the 40mm CTA cannon, which uses an entirely different principle of operation and an unusual type of round.

Back to the rounds from the C6 ejecting downwards instead of sideways is a great idea. Makes it much better for us lefty shooters, still dealing with small burns from using the C9  ;D

Back