• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Buying/selling Medals Superthread [merged]

B

Bulvyn

I went to a military surplus store to see if there is any important kit I may want extra of. While I was at the store I noticed they had medals for sale. Mind you they weren‘t Canadian medals so I am not even sure on the laws regarding it however most of us know it is possible to sell or buy most medals from stores.

My question is how does that make you feel? Being in the military myself (although not far along) I still have much respect for anyone who has earned a medal and the fact that some civilian who has no idea of what that means to someone could just go out and purchase one. I felt kinda angry at the thought but I suppose it could just be my way of thinking. What do you think?

The same question goes out to people who would sell their medals. Now I didn‘t see any Canadian medals so I am not sure if Canadians really do sell their medals but if it does happen, why would you want to?

If you are like me they get sold because some ******* stole them.

Pro Patria

There are plenty of medal collectors in the world; I‘d rather see medals get bought, framed, and displayed with respect than simply thrown out. Many widows or sometimes even vets themselves simply pitch them after many years thinking them worthless.

They‘re not, they‘re a testament to somebody‘s service and dedication to our country.

The more visible, tangible signs we have of past servicemen, the better. They are regarded as serious collectibles, and can be used to start conversations and dialogue about many subjects; bravery, heroism, sacrifice, the state of the military, etc.

I‘ve done a few re-enactment displays in WW II uniform, and a friend of mine had his replica medals on a display board, showing the various WW II medals. No bravery medals, just the campaign medals, and quite often we got more questions and comments about them than we did the uniforms, vehicles, weapons or equipment we had on display. Usually along the lines of "my dad had that one and that one - what do they mean?"

That said, it is an offence under the Criminal Code to wear medals that one is not entitled to, with certain exceptions, including stage work, acting, possibly re-enacting, etc. You are not permitted to wear medals of a relative. It used to be an unofficial practice, where you wore the medals of a relative on the right side on Rememberance Day, but this has never been "legal" and has pretty much fallen from use altogether.

There‘s no reason buying medals should be illegal, and it isn‘t. Wearing them is.

In the United States, it is illegal to buy or sell replicas of the Medal of Honor. Germany has laws against displaying medals with the swastika. So other nations have different views.

As to why people would want to sell their medals, I would imagine there are two main reasons

a) destitution
b) ignorance

I was recently at a flea market and there was a medal collector, and I asked how he had managed to get so many medals. He said that he had gotten most of them from surplus stores, but some people sell them to him because they need the money desperately (As was the case with most of the foreign medals sadly IE. Former Soviet Union medals, and other CIS Countries) while some are sold because the person who owns them dies and the relatives don‘t care about them, which is really sad.

Personally I would rather someone buy my medals at a flea market and have them framed and treated with respect than have my relatives who don‘t care about them stuff them in a sock drawer.

Quite a few years ago the price of silver went through the roof. Many World War 1 & 2 medals were sold for scrape metal value and melted down to be lost forever. Better that a collector buy them and treat them with respect that the medals get thrown out, lost or destroyed.

I collect WW2 German medals, and I have a lot of respect for the men (even though they were enemies) who earned the medals.

I have them displayed in a glass case, and I plan on getting more when my seller gets back from Op. Croc....

I currently have:
Eastern Front medal (russian vs german, 1942)
3 Hindenburg crosses (given to ww1 vets in Germany)
1 Silver Wound badge
1 black wound badge
1 Atlantic Wall medal (for those who build the AW)
1 cross that I forget the name of.

Once the reserves start to pay I will be purchasing more. The history behind each medal is what keeps me buying them...

I also own links of allied 20mm AP shells and a german K98 bayonette...

Basically, I have a lot of respect for people who have earned medals...

And about buying medals: I dont think its bad if they are Old (ww1, ww2, etc) because they are more antiques...

Be carefull with medals, for one the Government does not sell them as surplus. And there is many companies that make copies. I had a company make a set for my uniform for me, they had all of the copies in stock, even many of the top bravery medals. The reason I wanted to wear the copies is that I did not want to loose my originals.

Purple Hearts (Enemy Marksmanship Awards) are a dime a dozen. Everyone gets one.

Originally posted by L/MCpl_Argyll_ Kurrgan:
[qb] Purple Hearts (Enemy Marksmanship Awards) are a dime a dozen. Everyone gets one. [/qb]
Well I do not want to get drawn into a argument, but only those who are wounded get the purple heart, we do have chapionship shot in Canada. I am a good shot but I would never get one, the men and woman who get the medal are outstanding shots

Argyll, campaign medals are given to "everyone" who qualified by being in theatre during the dates of a conflict. Awards denoting having been wounded, either a Purple Heart (US) or wound stripes (Cdn), are only received by those individuals who have been unfortunate enough to merit them.

Wound Stripes FAQ

The Purple Heart

Flippant comments regarding the awards to injured soldiers will seldom be regarded well by other soldiers.

Mike

I own one medal. It is a Commander of the Order of the British Empire miniature.

My intention is to mount it in a box frame with a picture of the recipient of the original - my late grandfather.

I had a British Golden Jubilee miniature, but sold it to someone from my regiment who collects medals (I thought it was a Canadian jubilee, and that this person would wear it as they had a full-size jubilee.. but turns out I was wrong!)

That‘s it for me for medals.

My uncle holds several. One is his (South Atlantic Medal, 1982), with oak leaf and rosette. The others belonged to forefathers. The oldest is an Arctic Medal 1818-1855. There is a China Medal (1901), Khedive‘s Medal (1896) the only foreign one, and three WWI medals, the 1914-1915 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal. They are all neatly framed, except for his Falklands one.

They are well cared for, and if I have anything to say anout it, will remain in the family possession and be passed down to my children, when the time comes.

A lot of the medal‘s you see in store‘s are the result of old Vet‘s selling them because they need the money or Families who don‘t care and just think they are junk.

Pretty sad in my opinion.

I can understand your point of view. I would rather have someone I don‘t know cherish it then someone I do know treat it with complete disregard for how great it is. I suppose I didn‘t consider the point of view because I don‘t understand what it would be like to not care about a medal. Perhaps when I have one (assuming I ever do) I will understand more.

It is nice to hear that collectors who havn‘t earned the medal can‘t wear them. At least there is still something we can hold onto.

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4795/index.htm

Scroll down for a look at what Michael Jackson is wearing these days.

Also an interesting bit about Canadian reservists getting US achievment medals but not being allowed to wear them.

Also an interesting bit about Canadian reservists getting US achievment medals but not being allowed to wear them.
Good, I am a firm believer in that a medal should be earned. Doing your job on a training exercise doesn‘t warrant a gong. For some reason the US military seems to have a "medal culture."

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:
[qb] http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4795/index.htm

Also an interesting bit about Canadian reservists getting US achievment medals but not being allowed to wear them. [/qb]
Also Mike look what badge is he wearing on the pocket of his blazer?Look‘s like the British Guard‘s Cap Badge?

Originally posted by Spr.Earl:
[qb]
Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:
[qb] http://www.geocities.com/Athens/4795/index.htm

Also an interesting bit about Canadian reservists getting US achievment medals but not being allowed to wear them. [/qb]
Also Mike look what badge is he wearing on the pocket of his blazer?Look‘s like the British Guard‘s Cap Badge? [/qb]
I think one of the articles mentions he was wearng a blazer crest of the Royal Army Service Corps. It‘s not illegal, but I think it does the RASC discredit. You don‘t have to earn the right to wear a blazer crest....but you should! Good catch.

EDIT - you are right about it looking like a Guards badge; the same star was used as the basis for both designs.

The guys getting the US medals... I know every single one of them! I served in 3 RCA for 13 years... Interesting story :)

Many years ago, while I was on tour with some band in Northern Ontario. I was longing in my hotel room on a Remeberance Day watching TV and CBC broadcast an old movie, 1970‘s where a Vet was returning to his boarding house room after Rememberance Day ceremonies was mugged and his medals stolen. The last prized possessions of his life. Anyway the crook tried to sell them and in the process learned what they were for. He tracked the Vet down and returned them with an apology. Wish I could remember the name of the movie. It made me misty...

Back