• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bush vs Kerry

The British didnt come to North America and liberate the populace from a brutal dictator.

I assume you are stating that the US liberated the Iraqi people from a brutal dictator. This of course is not true. In WW2, France was liberated, Germany was not. Liberation is achieved by removing a foreign invader, not by invading and removing a domestic tyrant.

Liberated: France was liberated of Hitler, Kuwait was liberated of Saddam.
Invaded and Occupied: Germany was invaded and occupied by the Allies, Iraq was invaded and is occupied by the US/Britain.

If you wish to argue that the US occupation is justified, fine, but to say they liberated Iraq is completely false.

Of course, this topic has been beaten to death in the following thread:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/19567.0.html

Re: the US election, it looks like the yanks have a choice:

re-elect a President who may go down as the most polarizing President in history, who racked up massive debt, started a war that many see NOW as unwinnable, but also is viewed as one of the most decisive Presidents in recent history (since Reagan).

or

elect a Senator who is viewed as a Liberal (a dirty word in the US), a flip-flopper, a sponge for lobbyists, a war hero to some, a coward to others, and one who is perceived to be very indecisive, but also is seen as a possible way out for the US in Iraq, and a savior from Bush's economic policy and foreign policy failures.

Not much of a choice, I say.

>Liberation is achieved by removing a foreign invader, not by invading and removing a domestic tyrant.

Do you think the Shi'ites and Kurds might have felt they were occupied by a foreign power?

>I assume you are stating that the US liberated the Iraqi people from a brutal dictator.

Liberate being the wrong word, which one would you choose?  Let's not lose sight of what was achieved in the process of enhancing the power of our vocabulary.

re-elect a President who may go down as the most polarizing President in history, who racked up massive debt, started a war that many see NOW as unwinnable, but also is viewed as one of the most decisive Presidents in recent history (since Reagan).

or

elect a Senator who is viewed as a Liberal (a dirty word in the US), a flip-flopper, a sponge for lobbyists, a war hero to some, a coward to others, and one who is perceived to be very indecisive, but also is seen as a possible way out for the US in Iraq, and a savior from Bush's economic policy and foreign policy failures.

Could be worse.  Jack Layton could be running....

Liberate being the wrong word, which one would you choose?

You could call it 'Conquer', but that's not really accurate anymore.
You could call it 'Overthrow', but that insinuates to me that another government has been installed quickly and effectively. The increasing level of violence indicates that the 'Iraqi Government' is a pure farce.

I choose to call it an 'Invasion/Occupation'. There is some historical precedence for this term being used for this exact situation:

Germany invaded and occupied France, Belgium, Holland and others. The Western Allies eventually LIBERATED these countries from their foreign invader.

The West invaded and occupied Germany (creating West Germany), but eventually handed over power to Germans.

The USSR invaded and occupied Germany (creating East Germany) and held onto power.

Iraq invaded and occupied Kuwait. The US-led coalition eventually LIBERATED Kuwait.

Do you think the Shi'ites and Kurds might have felt they were occupied by a foreign power?

Whether or not the Kurds or the Shi'ites felt they were occupied is not the issue, and not really my concern. It was also not the issue nor the concern of the US as indicated by US statements (or lack there-of) leading up to the invasion. To claim/insinuate the US invaded Iraq to 'save' the Kurds (laughable) or the Shi'ites (even more ridiculous) is untenable and not indicitive of your obvious intelligence.

Could be worse.   Jack Layton could be running....

No kidding!

You know Caeser (by the way I hope you decided to spell your name incorrectly, that e instead of an a at the end really bugs me sometimes)

You know I moved out here to the left coast about 11 years ago, temporarily.  Circumstances caught up with me and here I remain.  Anywho,  when I arrived I figured that the inward looking, self satisfied view of the lefties I ran into out here was a result of there being no horizons (I'm a prairie type person by nature).  The sight lines round about here are blocked by mountains, trees, buildings, clouds, the relentless overcast and months of rain. These, coupled with with liberal ingestions of mold, moss and rust. 

However having now encountered one or two rational BC types, including some on this site, I am forced to conclude it must be some sort of contaminant in the water round about Granville Street.  You might get PWGSC to check out the water supply to your Armoury.  It could be a National Security issue.

Just concerned about your health mate.  Cheers.

Caeser said:
The British didnt come to North America and liberate the populace from a brutal dictator.

I assume you are stating that the US liberated the Iraqi people from a brutal dictator. This of course is not true. In WW2, France was liberated, Germany was not. Liberation is achieved by removing a foreign invader, not by invading and removing a domestic tyrant.

Liberated: France was liberated of Hitler, Kuwait was liberated of Saddam.
Invaded and Occupied: Germany was invaded and occupied by the Allies, Iraq was invaded and is occupied by the US/Britain.

If you wish to argue that the US occupation is justified, fine, but to say they liberated Iraq is completely false.

Of course, this topic has been beaten to death in the following thread:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/19567.0.html

or

Websters defines liberated as "To set free, as from oppression, confinement, OR foreign control". I say the iraqi people were oppressed and the Kurds confined. Be as flowery as you wish with your english- its smoke screen for a weak argument.

Cheers.

You know Caeser (by the way I hope you decided to spell your name incorrectly, that e instead of an a at the end really bugs me sometimes)

Yes, done on purpose.

Anywho,   when I arrived I figured that the inward looking, self satisfied view of the lefties

Don't paint me with that brush, you know nothing about me. I have always voted Socred/Liberal (prov-obviously) and Tory, prefer less not more government, don't own Birkenstocks, don't smoke dope, don't break the law, am against legalization of marijuana, and despise big-labour.

What planet are you from where one can never express concerns and opinions that don't directly fall in line with one's usual political views? Must be pretty nice not to have to think, just categorize everything according to what the 'right' is supposed to think.

I'm a prairie type person by nature

So as long as we are accepting stereotypes as fact, you must be a redneck, Bud/Canadian drinking, meat-and-potatoes eating, bigot cowboy from Calgary/Edmonton who thinks higher education is grade 10? This is obviously not what I expect you to be, but I thought I would characterize you as you characterized me.

You know I moved out here to the left coast about 11 years ago, temporarily.

Why don't you move back? Don't want you to succumb to all the 'mold, moss and rust' on all the 'mountains, trees, buildings and clouds' or catch pneumonia from the 'relentless overcast and months of rain'.

I say the iraqi people were oppressed and the Kurds confined.

Point taken - but it's moot. See below:

Whether or not the Kurds or the Shi'ites felt they were occupied is not the issue, and not really my concern. It was also not the issue nor the concern of the US as indicated by US statements (or lack there-of) leading up to the invasion. To claim/insinuate the US invaded Iraq to 'save' the Kurds (laughable) or the Shi'ites (even more ridiculous) is untenable and not indicitive of your obvious intelligence.

Changed just for you.

:)

Interesting how folks like Nader and the Canadian Greens actually do more harm to the left's struggle for representation at the table than they do good. I know they have to fight their fight, but you'd think that from their perspective they would be better served to align with the NDP/Democrats.

Suits me just fine, though, split the left all day long if they like (in Canada at least).

Kerry earned his medals of valour. My admiration for him. But when he threw all those medals as gestures of protest against the Vietnam war, who is he fooling? The American people. The American Constitution was the source of his medals. The constitution was every soldiers inspiration and basis for defending America. Then he threw away all of it. He was mocking the US Constitution then!

Nobody can match someone's courage and bravery in fighting in the Vietnam war. But please Kerry respect the source of your medals. The Constitution.

Who would refuse to vote for Bush. After passing a law giving military aid to the amount of 34 billion in military hardware, who would in the Philipppines.

And the Senate Commission acquitted Bush on the grounds of "failure of imagination". Watch those Kurds dying one by one because of mustard gas on video shown in BBC.

Oh ! my God. Bring back democracy in Iraq!! Vote BUSH and CHENEY for a peaceful and democratic Iraq~

Yes, done on purpose.

Changed just for you.

Thank-you.  Cheers

Anywho,  when I arrived I figured that the inward looking, self satisfied view of the lefties

Don't paint me with that brush, you know nothing about me. I have always voted Socred/Liberal (prov-obviously) and Tory, prefer less not more government, don't own Birkenstocks, don't smoke dope, don't break the law, am against legalization of marijuana, and despise big-labour.

Well done.  So you are not a leftie.

What planet are you from where one can never express concerns and opinions that don't directly fall in line with one's usual political views? Must be pretty nice not to have to think, just categorize everything according to what the 'right' is supposed to think.

I guess my problem is that the views you are espousing tend to be those of the majority of Canadians and I don't think they came by them honestly.  I don't think the majority thought there way through the issues at hand.  The media and the politicians have been spoon feeding a particular anti-American line, especially on Iraq for so long, picking news stories to back up their position that the public can't fail to understand the position the way they see it.

Many people forget that at the time of the invasion of Iraq (yes it was an invasion, yes the Iraqi government was overthrown, yes the allies occupied the country, yes the Kurds and Shiites were liberated, yes there are locals who are perturbed at having lost their positions and are concerned about being fed to their own meat grinders at Abu Ghraib, yes there are some foreign muslims who have shown up to protect their supply lines between Afghanistan and Algeria, yes it did discomfit the business arrangements of some nations and individuals and finally yes it did serve America's national interests as well as the interests of many other nations  - a fair day's work on balance I would say.).... at the time of the invasion 50% of Canadians  supported the notion of going into Iraq.  If the Government of the day had said yes the numbers would likely have gone higher.  This was the experience in all the other allied countries.    Unfortunately that 50% wasn't evenly distributed across Canada.  Some pockets showed more support than others.   There is a strong belief in some quarters that the decision made was to prevent a replay of the Conscription battles (the Boer War caused similar fault lines).

Now I can understand us having to stay out because of that domestic situation.  I may not have liked it but I can understand it.  I thoroughly detest the adoption of the line that we must denigrate a necessary and useful action at all cost and may not make reference to the advantages conferred on the region and Iraq.

Ranting I know.  But I am afraid that your reiteration one more time of a commonly held view, a view that in my opinion is approaching dogma rather than debate, was just too much.
I'm a prairie type person by nature

So as long as we are accepting stereotypes as fact, you must be a redneck, Bud/Canadian drinking, meat-and-potatoes eating, bigot cowboy from Calgary/Edmonton who thinks higher education is grade 10? This is obviously not what I expect you to be, but I thought I would characterize you as you characterized me.

Lessee.  Redneck? Yep guilty. Worse than you may think.  Folks from the Borders and Lowlands were referred to as Rednecks back in Britain long before Jeff Foxworthy heard about us. Bud/Canadian? No.  But I do like my beer.  Big Rock Traditional by preference.  Meat and Potatoes? Had to cut out the potatoes on this low-carb diet.  Bigot?  Try not to be but discriminating and chauvinistic, yep.  Cowboy.  Unfortunately not.  No Hat,  No Cattle and bucked off a horse three times in a row.  Grade 10 is higher education for some people that I know.  My Father-in-law for one.  Not many opportunities in the Depression.

You know I moved out here to the left coast about 11 years ago, temporarily.

Why don't you move back? Don't want you to succumb to all the 'mold, moss and rust' on all the 'mountains, trees, buildings and clouds' or catch pneumonia from the 'relentless overcast and months of rain'.

I've heard that line before.  Call me in a few years and tell me about freedoms when you are responsible for the lives of your children and your decisions affect others.

Now then.  Back to the case at hand.

In these discussions it seems to me that some participants are often parroting views and attitudes expressed by our media and politicians.  I am afraid I don't hold either in very high regard right now.

The media in particular galls me for I have been late in coming to the realisation that they are descended from pamphleteers and propagandists and generally the line has bred true.  I used to accept as fact that the Canadian media was a neutral party,  assiduously retailing the facts so that the populace could make informed decisions.  I overlooked errors and omissions on the grounds of lack of knowledge, oversight and accident.

This current situation with respect to Iraq and Terrorism and President Bush has changed my view.  A change that started when I saw how Manning, Day and Harper were treated,  not to mention all my fellow "red-neck" Albertans.

The media consistently fails to mention all the facts.  Curiously the facts that are omitted tend to be those that bolster what is commonly known as the right-wing or conservative view.  

Case in point.  Equalization report in Canadian Press today - "Conservative economist" states that equalization has perverse incentives "Mainstream economists" can't prove him wrong.

2nd Case.       350 tonnes of explosives gone missing in Iraq according to New York Times.   Kerry slams Bush.
                    NBC reporter embedded with 101 Abn that secured the site informs that Explosives were gone when the got there.
                    NYT's  take on the issue.......Bush and Kerry Campaigns battle over Missing Explosives.

Consequently a lot of people end up with fairly "filtered" views of reality.  

And from where I stand your views on this particular issue squares fairly well with the rest of the populace at large who come by their opinions from a limiited number of sources.

Now if I have misread your understanding of the world, if you have come to your conclusions based on more than listening to CBC/CTV and the local rags, then I apologize.

However it is an unfortunate fact of life that people tend to be known by their associations.  And your association with that particular view doesn't recommend you highly in my view.

Yours, Kirkhill

Caesar said:
I say the iraqi people were oppressed and the Kurds confined.

Point taken - but it's moot. See below:

If your saying it wasnt the reason for the war than I concede. Quite frankly I still cant figure that out definitively. All I attempt to do now is put a positive spin on the situation. The invasion is over and done whether we agreed with it or not. Now we are at a crossroad as to what to do now. Bush will bang his head against the wall and rebuild and Kerry will withdraw prematurely- in a halfbaked manner which will set us up for ANOTHER gulf war later.....

Kirkhill: There was so much in your post that to cut and paste would take a century. All in all, I more or less agree with what you said, especially regarding the not-so-neutral media. Although I would extend the damnation to the majority of the established US media (especially TV) like CNN and Fox 'News'.

I like to think of myself as fairly right-wing, except on this issue. To say that I am a little surprised that I have come to feel this way would be an understatement. I guess it a combination of:
-my ethical and moral principles on the concept of just war (which I will not get into, see the other thread for my views on this)
-my distaste for the nationalistic (as opposed to patriotic) mood of the US post 9/11.
-the growing feeling that this war may well be a catalyst for a major prolonged conflict that will cause immense suffering and destruction beyond Iraq's borders.
-the growing feeling that the US has opened up something it does not understand and cannot control.
-most of all, I feel my intelligence has been insulted by the US administration trying to convince me that their reasons for invading were in fact not WMD, they were: (insert lame excuse here).

If your saying it wasn't the reason for the war than I concede.

Good, I don't feel like going through that again.   :)

The invasion is over and done whether we agreed with it or not. Now we are at a crossroad as to what to do now.

Your spot on there Aaron. I don't pretend to know how to fix it, I just feel they are on the wrong course right now.

Bush will bang his head against the wall and rebuild and Kerry will withdraw prematurely- in a halfbaked manner which will set us up for ANOTHER gulf war later.....

Bush doesn't seem to be too interested in rebuilding, although admitidly it's pretty tough to rebuild when half the country is in revolt.

I'm no fan of Kerry either. I find it hard to believe that in a country of 350 million people, Kerry is the best Democrat they could find. There should be a Senate committee to investigate that.

Yes, the Allies invaded and occupied Germany.  There are some who would also characterize it as a deliverance from tyranny (the Nazis).  That has a slightly different flavour and moral character than the Nazis overrunning Europe, don't you think?

>Whether or not the Kurds or the Shi'ites felt they were occupied is not the issue, and not really my concern.

Then why do you give a flying f**k about Iraq?  I mean it - really, why do you care?  What is it that makes you and so many others so concerned about the fate of one country?  What is it about Iraq that makes its fate and the fate of its people so much more important than Tibet, or Cambodia, or North Korea, or Chechnya, or Rwanda, or the Balkans, or Darfur?  Why is so much discussion centred on one particular human tragedy among many?  Is this about people, or politics?  Why isn't it just a blip of information - a few weeks of headlines - in the continuing story of humanity that you digested and forgot?  What stops you from moving along to other matters and leaving Iraq to the people who are interested in making the best out of a less than optimally handled opportunity?

Brad Sallows said:
, or North Korea, or Chechnya, or Rwanda, or the Balkans, or Darfur?  

I believe we should be going head long into these countries too.......

Well and Forcefully put Brad.  Cheers.

That has a slightly different flavour and moral character than the Nazis overrunning Europe, don't you think?

Of course it does. I am not saying that all invasions immoral, just that the US invaded Iraq, they didn't liberate it. Whether it's just or not is a whole other matter, which we have discussed before.

What is it that makes you and so many others so concerned about the fate of one country?  What is it about Iraq that makes its fate and the fate of its people so much more important than Tibet, or Cambodia, or North Korea, or Chechnya, or Rwanda, or the Balkans, or Darfur? Is this about people, or politics?

The reasons why I have discussed this issue more than the others listed are:

1)- The US is physically, socially, politically and culturally more similar to Canada (and me) than the other nations/regions stated. As such, I have more understanding and more interest in these matters. I genuinely like the US and Americans, and have a great interest in their well being.

2)- I am uneasy with the idea that one nation can operate with impunity. The US is the only real Superpower left (arguments could be made for China, but that's another discussion). The US post cold war has operated, understandably and without fault, unchecked. They don't have an enemy to balance them off in the form of another nation. Again, arguments could be made that terrorism is the new counter balance, and if true, I prefer the Soviets.

3)- The US proclaims itself to be the beacon of hope to oppressed people, the pinnacle of democracy, and the champion of human rights. The US actions leading up to, during the invasion, and continuing in the occupation violate a great number of the principles that these ideas are based on, especially democracy. The Russians, North Koreans, etc don't claim to hold these ideals to this standard, if they subscribe to them at all, so their violation of these ideals, while unacceptable does not qualify them as 'Hypocrites'.

4)- the US has held other nations, namely Iraq, to a standard they are not abiding by themselves. When Iraq invaded Kuwait, the US rightly condemned it as unprovoked aggression. The US invaded Iraq without being attacked by them, without UN approval, and without any other verified basis (ie-WMD).

Those are the main reasons I have an issue with the war.

What stops you from moving along to other matters and leaving Iraq to the people who are interested in making the best out of a less than optimally handled opportunity?

I am interested in making the best of this situation. In the previous thread that you and I debated on regarding the war in Iraq, I asked what we could do about Iraq now. I stated that the US could not just pull out, and I proposed that the rebuilding contracts be given to Iraqi companies, rather than American ones. I also expressed concern over the lack of hard plans that Kerry had at that time proposed, and that I was unsure how to fix this mess. So I think I have demonstrated that I am not solely interested in just berating the US, that I am interested in ideas on how to fix it. However, I have to say that I have not heard much from you on how to fix the current situation.

or North Korea, or Chechnya, or Rwanda, or the Balkans, or Darfur?  

I believe we should be going head long into these countries too.......

Darfur: yes. Rwanda: yes. North Korea: not just yet, but I think were headed there. Balkans:were already there, and I agree we need a stronger presence, Chechnya: US involvement there could start a major prolonged conflict with Russia. I'm not saying we shouldn't go, but those risks should be understood.

To bring this back to the original topic:

What do you think about the 'plans' that Bush and Kerry have for Iraq?

Caesar said:
To bring this back to the original topic:

What do you think about the 'plans' that Bush and Kerry have for Iraq?

While many don't want to admit it, I think that as a society we are in a life-or-death struggle against an Islamic variety of Fascism that is predisposed to attacking civillian targets (i.e., terrorism).

Bush is a known quantity, he seems to believe (and I won't even get into rightly or wrongly right now) very strongly in what he is doing and it would take a very major policy shift for him not to continue to pursue 'terrorisits and the nations that harbour them'.  This type of purposefulness is only the only way to win wars.

Kerry on the other hand is weak (at least is perceived as) and vacillatiing (definitely): his only goal seems to be to get elected President and will do or say anything to achieve that.  He talks about have a plan for Iraq, but no-one seems to be able to articulate it in a way that makes any sense.  Does he replace US troops in Iraq them with troops from countries that have already said they won't contribute troops?  Is all the talk nothing and he would just maintain the status quo?  Does he send more troops to address his contention that there is a need for more?  Does he go back to Afghanistan with more troops to 'focus on the real problem' and get BinLaden?  Does he ask the UN what to do?  Does he withdraw unilaterally and leave Iraq to the 'freedom fighters'.  The problem I have with Kerry is that I have *NO IDEA* what he would do as President (and in the context of war, that scares the s**t out of me)!

I've heard it said that this election amounts to little more than a referendum on Bush: if this is true, it goes a long to way to explain why there has been so little critical attention paid to his policies!

P.S> With regard to the posts on previous pages about the supposed low IQ of Bush, this came out a few days ago but [sarcasm]suprisingly[/sarcasm] didn't make the headlines:

Secret Weapon for Bush?
By JOHN TIERNEY

Published: October 24, 2004

To Bush-bashers, it may be the most infuriating revelation yet from the military records of the two presidential candidates: the young George W. Bush probably had a higher I.Q. than did the young John Kerry.

That, at least, is the conclusion of Steve Sailer, a conservative columnist at the Web magazine Vdare.com and a veteran student of presidential I.Q.'s. During the last presidential campaign Mr. Sailer estimated from Mr. Bush's SAT score (1206) that his I.Q. was in the mid-120's, about 10 points lower than Al Gore's.

Mr. Kerry's SAT score is not known, but now Mr. Sailer has done a comparison of the intelligence tests in the candidates' military records. They are not formal I.Q. tests, but Mr. Sailer says they are similar enough to make reasonable extrapolations.

Mr. Bush's score on the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test at age 22 again suggests that his I.Q was the mid-120's, putting Mr. Bush in about the 95th percentile of the population, according to Mr. Sailer. Mr. Kerry's I.Q. was about 120, in the 91st percentile, according to Mr. Sailer's extrapolation of his score at age 22 on the Navy Officer Qualification Test.

Linda Gottfredson, an I.Q. expert at the University of Delaware, called it a creditable analysis said she was not surprised at the results or that so many people had assumed that Mr. Kerry was smarter. "People will often be misled into thinking someone is brighter if he says something complicated they can't understand," Professor Gottfredson said.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/24/politics/campaign/24points.html

Back