• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Burglar Beaten With His Own Bat. Victim Charged

Is there a video that’s been released on this? My first instinct is that the bad guy made a comment after his beating about coming back or going to someone’s house. That’s my bias as I’ve seen it before- but it may not be the case. It just seems like maybe you guys have a lot more info than me- as there is a lot of legal stuff flying around on a three paragraph story? Time to do some googlin’

We don’t expect precision from every day people during self defence.
I wonder if he hit him after he was unconscious- honestly for them to hold him in custody etc there must be an aggravating factor that we’re missing.

You don’t get held in custody like in this case in absence of something else. Especially where it’s not a premeditated thing. There is a factor missing.

Well, some of us are retired and it is winter . . .

I haven't seen any video - just the online story, and the various media outlets are essentially pasting the same text. The one confusing thing is some are saying he was arrested Jan 5 and held in custody for court Jan 6 (then no further info) and others are saying he appeared Jan 6 and held in custody, so who knows.

Is there a video that’s been released on this? My first instinct is that the bad guy made a comment after his beating about coming back or going to someone’s house. That’s my bias as I’ve seen it before- but it may not be the case. It just seems like maybe you guys have a lot more info than me- as there is a lot of legal stuff flying around on a three paragraph story? Time to do some googlin’

We don’t expect precision from every day people during self defence.
No- I’ll admit I’m taking the story at face value, and speaking to the hypothetical of the robber is disarmed, breaks contact, flees, and is the. Pursued by the erstwhile victim. But also the conversation has shifted to self defense/use of force by non-PO more broadly, as it tends to do here.

I haven't seen any video - just the online story, and the various media outlets are essentially pasting the same text. The one confusing thing is some are saying he was arrested Jan 5 and held in custody for court Jan 6 (then no further info) and others are saying he appeared Jan 6 and held in custody, so who knows.
First you're expecting accuracy and consistency from the media. Next, you'll be believing Trudeau! It's a slippery slope, my friend.

He was held in custody on the 6th according to the Toronto sun

I guess it depends on how far the pursuit is. A mile clearly too far. 100ft?
The way I read it is that as soon as the bad guy leaves your premises in retreat that’s the end of it. Any further action on the part of the victim can be construed as unlawful

He was held in custody on the 6th according to the Toronto sun
Could be that these two people actually had history and knew each other.

There have been stories about small businesses, especially with immigrant owner operators being, being extorted for protection money. Completely hypothetical, but that could have been at play here.

The way I read it is that as soon as the bad guy leaves your premises in retreat that’s the end of it. Any further action on the part of the victim can be construed as unlawful
thats how I think the law is enforced and interpreted too. I would give quite a bit more leeway than that though especially depending on the circumstances
home/business/public place
threat of violence
occurrence of violence
repeatability of violence
public response

So what I learn from this is that you install an auto drop down security door to trap the criminal in with you and then beat him in self-defence as he tries to take back the bat you took from him as you citizen arrested him. All self-defence, he truly tried to take the bat and told me he would beat me to death with it. Had to hit him.

Back