• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BSERE training coming up next month, any suggestions?

Now ASERE is the one for me...still haven't been able to be loaded on it, but that's 'cuz I was in the sandbox...will try to get on it soon.  ASERE is big on ERE, whereas BSERE was more like S+a little bit of "ere".

[OT alert] Journeyman, you forgot that those nasty bunnies have "big, sharp teeth"...and that "they'll do you up 'a treet!".....  ;D

Yup, Holy Grail was #2 on movie night list in the sandbox...right after Team America, and such famous lines as: "Promise me you'll never die!"  "I can't do that!"  "If you promise, I'll make love to you."  ".....I PROMISE TO NEVER DIE!"  ;D

Cheers,
Duey

Hijack!

Duey -- Got to visit Doune Castle while in Scotland.  They have coconuts in the gift shop.

End of Hijack.

Gotta back up AESOP on this (as much as I hate agreeing with anything the Navy says or does) :)

I really, really believe in train as you fight. Take loads of neat stuff, and you'll learn how to do a task with neat stuff. Take what you have with you every single time you go flying, and you'l know how to perform that same task with what you always have.

Kinda like learning land navigation with a GPS, then carying a compass in your vest.

I used to throw the bunny pants in the back as well, until an old guy asked me how I'd get at them if we crashed. I blew him of, then the next week did the Survival Systems course in Halifax (dunker). I now wear everything I need, and rely on nothing in the back. Granted, I still carried a little extra in the back just in case, but they were "nice to have's", not "must haves".

Pretty easy to blow it all off and have a pleasant time in the woods, and in all honesty y'all are probably 100% right- after all, when was the last time anyone ejected and waited more than 45 minutes for help?

Cheers- Garry

PS- Bo, I spent three weeks once eating rabbit...please listen to this...

BRING SALT.

After that course, I have ALWAYS had a small container of mixed salt and pepper with me....always. It sat in my vest beside the baggie with tobacco and papers and a BIC.....I NEVER, EVER unloaded that pocket....NEVER.!!!!

Sorry, I got started there....rabbit really sucks with no salt ")

Strike said:
Hijack!

Duey -- Got to visit Doune Castle while in Scotland.  They have coconuts in the gift shop.

End of Hijack.

[more hijacking]

Were the coconuts flown there by African or European swallow?  ;D

[end more hijacking]

Garry said:
Gotta back up AESOP on this (as much as I hate agreeing with anything the Navy says or does) :)

I really, really believe in train as you fight. Take loads of neat stuff, and you'll learn how to do a task with neat stuff. Take what you have with you every single time you go flying, and you'l know how to perform that same task with what you always have.

I know some of the much more experienced aircrew who were on course had some "suggestions" to the CFSSAT staff concerning what was permissible and what wasn't. The kit list described by the joining instructions is exclusive- that is to say, anything else was prohibited. The more experienced guys had some issues with that based on what they have in their B25 kits and on thier person. I guess CFSSAT is trying to set a uniform standard for all. Let me reitterate however, the course is now focused on an introduction to the "S" and to a lesser extent "ERE". I know they are more than open to suggestions in the course critique.

To be honest, I didn't bring my flying gear because I didn't want it to get soiled. ;) Being a 2Lt, there still is a bit of glamour with my PJs. ;)

Pretty easy to blow it all off and have a pleasant time in the woods, and in all honesty y'all are probably 100% right- after all, when was the last time anyone ejected and waited more than 45 minutes for help?

The course officer, a WO SARTEC, jumped on Boxtop 22. I know of the T-33 crash in Nova Scotia in '92, I believe they found his body after a week. The griffon guys in Goose Bay a couple of years ago, who ditched in a frozen lake. Plus all the Aurora crew who seem to break their airplane in St. John's on a Thursday, and can't get home until Monday afternoon. ;)

[hijack on]
Regarding the airspeed velocity of an unlaiden swallow I have "researched" the following:

"To begin with, I needed basic kinematic data on African and European swallow species.

Although 47 of the 74 worldwide swallow species are found in Africa,1 only two species are named after the continent: the West African Swallow (Hirundo domicella) and the South African Swallow (Hirundo spilodera), also known as the South African Cave Swallow.

Since the range of the South African Swallow extends only as far north as Zaire,2 I felt fairly confident that this was the non-migratory African species referred to in previous discussions of the comparative and cooperative weight-bearing capabilities of African and European swallows.

Kinematic data for both African species was difficult to find, but the Barn or European Swallow (Hirundo rustica) has been studied intensively, and kinematic data for that species was readily available.

A 54-year survey of 26,285 European Swallows captured and released by the Avian Demography Unit of the University of Capetown finds that the average adult European swallow has a wing length of 12.2 cm and a body mass of 20.3 grams.

Because wing beat frequency and wing amplitude both scale with body mass,5 and flight kinematic data is available for at least 22 other bird species,6 it should be possible to estimate the frequency (f ) and amplitude (A) of the European Swallow by a comparison with similar species. With those two numbers, it will be possible to estimate airspeed (U). "

For those interested, more information can be found here> http://www.style.org/unladenswallow/ ;)
[hijack off]

That study makes no mention of the possibility of two swallows working in tandem?

inferno said:
That study makes no mention of the possibility of two swallows working in tandem?

What, if instead of gripping it by the husk, they carried it with some sort of line tied between them?  ;)

inferno said:

Which arrangement of swallows- 2 European, or 2 African or one of each?

inferno said:

Bograt said:
Which arrangement of swallows- 2 European, or 2 African or one of each?

Wouldn't there be a bit of a Language Barrier?

George Wallace said:
Wouldn't there be a bit of a Language Barrier?
According to ICAO, (International Civil Aviation Organization)

Amendment 164 to Annex 1 has introduced strengthened language proficiency requirements for flight crew members and air traffic controllers. The language proficiency requirements apply to any language used for radiotelephony communications in international operations. Therefore, pilots on international flights shall demonstrate language proficiency in either English or the language used by the station on the ground. Controllers working on stations serving designated airports and routes used by international air services shall demonstrate language proficiency in English as well as in any other language(s) used by the station on the ground.

For more information, please refer to Annex 1, Chapter 1, paragraph 1.2.9 and Attachment to Annex 1, and also to Annex 10, Volume II, Chapter 5. Please, also refer to the FAQ "Guidance on the evaluation of language proficiency".

A few points:

The issue with the kit list has pretty much been covered.  CFSSAT offered two options because people were having some major issues trying to get either the CADPAT or the flightsuits from their local supply.  In some cases, people were being told they weren't entitled to the kit, which was nothing but headaches for the staff.  I don't recommend Gortex boots, unless they're hipwaders.  The water around Nopiming comes in depths from knee to nipple high.  The Big Problem on BSERE was mukluks...people would draw them, but they had no idea that they needed the felts and liner.  More than a few showed up with the outers and the sock, but missing the rest.

ASERE is different, and I fully support the train as you flight philosophy  ;D.  Another active thread is talking about flight suits and the whole CADPAT vs. blue issue.  All I can say is this:  The enemy force loves blue flight suits.

The axe situation:  Axes are great when you're working with a fully belly.  Once you're hungry, thirsty and your brain starts to short-circuit, axes are a bad idea.  Hence, the folding saw...much safer.  The staff babysits to a certain degree, but not to what I saw on the USAF course...you can't even break twigs on SV-80 without wearing a pair of gloves.

Finally, if you're caught with outside food, it's grounds for removal from the course.  That means leave the chips, gum, pop, candybars, licorice, spits, granola, dried fruit, chocolate coffee beans, canned stew and gallon containers of water at home.  (Yes, these are all things I've seen.)  You don't learn what it's like to be tired and hungry on a SURVIVAL course when you have a grocery bag of crap back in the paracabin.  The staff provides an amnesty box on day one.

Go there with an open mind and be ready to learn.  For most people, it's one of the most enjoyable courses they take.  (Second only to ASERE on the bus ride home...not before.)

Dirt Digger, the guys aren't still getting the broomstick on resistance-phase of ASERE anymore, are they?  ;D

I'll be seeing about bringing a bunch of my guys along with me on the course after the APS settles down.  It is one of the CF courses that should be considered mandatory PD.

Cheers,
Duey

Duey,

Some of those who are a little longer in the tooth are goin on ASERE this fall.  You wouldn't happen to be joining them would you?  Oh, would I love to be there to see that.  As part of the OPFOR of course.  I'm not stoopid enought to sign up for it again.  ;D

Strike, I'll try and get myself loaded on that course...didn't know some of the guys were already going.  I'll have a chat with A3 Trg here and try to get on it....thanks for the heads up!

Cheers
Duey

Hey gang,

I just finished BSERE yesterday so I thought I'd chip in.

On our course you did have to kill the bunny and skin it. For a city boy like myself it was a bit of a harrowing experience. Overall, I thought the course was really useful and I learned quite a bit from it. The one thing I'd recommend to bring with you is wet-knaps! They're invaluable and I had people brokering their limited rations with me to use my extras! I'd also recommend gore-tex socks for the navigation portion as the staff seems quite fond of having you go trudging through swamps. Maybe earplugs too if you're a light sleeper like me.

Anyway, it's a good course! I'm glad I had the opportunity to do it.

Cheers

Jason

bison33 said:
Bump.........UPDATE.........the solo phase is now 72 hours.

Only in the spring, summer & fall.  Winter session is still 48 (looong, cold) hours.

WOW....  I just got back from Winterpeg and BSERE.  Was one of the most challenging courses of my career so far.  Roger Rabbit didn't even cry. 
Good time of year to do it despite the continued temperatures below -20.  Couple days on solo was -30 and then the windchill.  All in all a great course.  Next for me is after Easter when I drive out to Winnipeg for BAC 0801.

Heres my shelter.  Aint she a beauty???

AES Op - Jr said:
WOW....  I just got back from Winterpeg and BSERE.  Was one of the most challenging courses of my career so far. 

:rofl:

BAC will change your mind

Back