• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Browning Hi-Power on G&A Top 10 Handguns that Changed History

1980.  Cost me a cassete tape on a bet.  Chinese contract BHP with fitted shouder stock/holster at 500 yards at a 4' target.  Hint: do this in the summer where you can walk the dust into the target - not the winter like I did.

Tom

hehe..... and you're that much the wiser for the lesson :)

TCBF said:
"The FN plant was seized by the Germans during World War II, and the Nazis produced the Hi Power for their own troops. Meanwhile, Dieudonné Saive fled Belgium and eventually settled in Toronto, Canada, helping the John Inglis Co. produce Hi Powers there for Nationalist Chinese, British, Canadian and Greek forces. Thus, both sides made use of the P35 pistol during the war. A well-known variation of the gun was the Capitan model (shown above and below) that incorporated tangent sights graduated to 500 meters and a detachable wooden combination holster/shoulder stock.
   Still in production in 2004, the Hi Power remains in use by militaries and citizenries around the world and, despite myriad new designs, maintains favor for those same qualities that drew acclaim initially. While many may contend that this venerable single-action gun has been equaled, few will say that it has ever been surpassed. "

http://www.nrapublications.org/TAR/BrowningHPPistol.asp

Had he not died in 1926, it would have been interesting to see what changes JMB  himself would have made to the P35 HP AND the 1911A1. 

Tom

What makes this history tidbit even better is that Inglis was a washing machine/sewing machine company. Who woulda thought?

That's not all that unusual. FMC, the people who make (made?) the M113 APC, are "Food Machinery Company"

DG

RecceDG said:
That's not all that unusual. FMC, the people who make (made?) the M113 APC, are "Food Machinery Company"

DG

...and 1911's were produced by the Singer Sewing Machine co., and the Inland Division of General Motors (which also produced .30 M1 carbines IIRC)...

blake

I know...the list can go on and on... I just can't help but chuckle.  (neither can the new guys in the unit when I tell them the story about our issued sidearm.) Inglis also made Bren Guns (after diving a little deeper.)

You should have a look at some of the Sten guns that were made during WW2.
a "plumbers nightmare" indeed.

geo said:
You should have a look at some of the Sten guns that were made during WW2.
a "plumbers nightmare" indeed.

Oh, how very true. And to think that the original plans for the Sten Gun were drawn on a napkin in a bombed-out hotel in England. Wow.  ;)

I owned an Inglis Bren (converted auto) once.  I ordered 1000 rds of surplus Mk VIIIZ  - or whatever - Ball, and it came in two wooden cases marked "Kynoch 1964".  Each wooden case held two big tins that opened like a sardine (or Russian SAA) can.  Open up the can and one would find  ...  a 250 rd cloth Vickers Gun belt.

Check out our .50 cal. Browning HMGs, the one on my last Lynx was made by AC Sparkplug Division.

Tom

RecceDG said:

DG

Actually I'm pretty sure that FMC is the Fuller Machine Corporation.  They make the Bradley as well.

teddy49 said:
Actually I'm pretty sure that FMC is the Fuller Machine Corporation.  They make the Bradley as well.
And years ago I heard it was "Fruit Machine Corporation" of California, who produced machinery for the harvesting of Fruit in California.  Oh well....we could all be right.....different incarnations of the same company over the last fifty or so years.

From http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m113.htm

The M113-family was developed the from M59 and M75 which were designed by FMC (Food Machinery Corp.) in the late 1950´s.

It was also on the ID plate inside the vehicle - that's where I first noticed it.

While we're at it:

http://www.fmcsgvs.com/content/about/history.htm

DG

FMC.... that's something hard to digest ;)

When you have a company that makes one specific product and the market gets saturated by it (or c/o many competitors).... you have to go out & find newer pastures to pick.

I also saw a BHP in a gunshop that had the old Nazi Eagle with Swastika stamp on it.  Evidently it was manufactured in Belgian during the Nazi occupation.  That was the story I was told... any feedback?  Just wish I had the money to buy it...oh well.

GOF said:
I also saw a BHP in a gunshop that had the old Nazi Eagle with Swastika stamp on it.  Evidently it was manufactured in Belgian during the Nazi occupation.  That was the story I was told... any feedback?  Just wish I had the money to buy it...oh well.

They were made by FN during the occupation.

"any feedback?"

- Sure, from just above:

TCBF said:
"The FN plant was seized by the Germans during World War II, and the Nazis produced the Hi Power for their own troops. Meanwhile, Dieudonné Saive fled Belgium and eventually settled in Toronto, Canada, helping the John Inglis Co. produce Hi Powers there for Nationalist Chinese, British, Canadian and Greek forces. Thus, both sides made use of the P35 pistol during the war. A well-known variation of the gun was the Capitan model (shown above and below) that incorporated tangent sights graduated to 500 meters and a detachable wooden combination holster/shoulder stock.
   Still in production in 2004, the Hi Power remains in use by militaries and citizenries around the world and, despite myriad new designs, maintains favor for those same qualities that drew acclaim initially. While many may contend that this venerable single-action gun has been equaled, few will say that it has ever been surpassed. "

http://www.nrapublications.org/TAR/BrowningHPPistol.asp

Had he not died in 1926, it would have been interesting to see what changes JMB  himself would have made to the P35 HP AND the 1911A1. 

Tom

I like the appearance of this Bulgarian clone...

arcus-94_r.jpg

arcus-94_l.jpg

Pretty badass for a 70+ year old design.

Edited for image issues...

Pretty badass for a 70+ year old design....

Amen to that, I still like the Browning.

Pretty much any fine sewing machine company can be easily switched over in times of war to a pistol factory. HK got its start by a pair of Mauser engineers which were able to save whatever they could after the Mauser factory was dismantled by the Allies after World War II, and started a fine machining company manufacturering sewing machines and other fine mechanics. They were able to land the reformed Bundeswher's contract for a new German Army rifle, which became the G3.

Back