• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Browning Hi-Power on G&A Top 10 Handguns that Changed History

Okay FWIW the FBI dropped the 10mm round and the S&W 1006 it was issued in.
  They now issue  ;D guess what ?  Glock 23 in .40S&W

Mike -- this whole place is a range - we can just pull over on a  drive to Bagram  ;)
I have a few extra boxes of JHP - but if you have some ball you want to shoot?
We have some rnage time coming up - I will keep you info'd (well as best as my CoC keeps me informed  :-\)

The HK USP and Mk23 are boat anchors - crap.
HK's new .45 is a winner - however it does not look like a timely civilian release anytime soon.

Other than that Armymatter please STFU - the US Special Forces use the Berretta M9 like the rest of the US mil.  The only exception are some USSOCOM units, like CAG (Delta) with the 1911 in .45 and the 9mm Glock19 (a rotational thing), USN DevGrp (also 1911) some of the ST's with Sig P226's, and the USMC's MEUSOC and MARSOC dets with 1911's as well. (only the gunfighter portion of MEUSOC rates the MEUSOC .45 the rest get the M9)

ParaOrd is a POS

I remember getting to 119 AD Bty in 1989 as a young 2Lt and getting issued my first Browning Hi Power.  It was still sealed in a bag, had 1944 stamped on it and I was the first owner.  Never had a problem with it.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
...but my book says they do....... ;D
Don't you mean video game?  :dontpanic:

so I study Strategic Studies and hope to be a DND bureaucrat

Kal said:
Yeah, but can it shoot under water???  :p
Can the BHP shoot under water *please say yes please say yes*
:D
excuse my lack of knowladge I'm not officaly part of the CF yet.
Cabose

Cabose said:
Can the BHP shoot under water *please say yes please say yes*
:D
excuse my lack of knowladge I'm not officaly part of the CF yet.
Cabose

I was kidding, bro....  ;)

"The FBI use a 10mm, but I am not (sure) who else uses them."

As KevinB pointed out, they went to .40 S&W.  They liked the 10mm Norma 200 grain/1200 fps cartridge, but soon realized that few agents would be able to qualify with it!

So they wanted it tamed a bit, at which point somebody said "Since we don't need all that propellant anymore, we don't need all of that cartridge case capacity either, do we?  So, why not shorten the cartridge case, and then we can adopt a smaller frame handgun with a larger double stack mag capacity?"

So it was out with the 10mm, in with the .40 S&W.

Case closed.

Tom

R031button said:
The only problem is that usually things identified as "classic" aren't issued to modern militiaries...
The 45 COLT is another Classic.... and a lot of Americans still love that monster.

...although the BHP/P35 is lcearly derived from the 1911 (hence why my Fobus C-21 holster for 1911 fits the BHP so nicely.)  John Browning took the best of the 1911 and added further refinements to it.  G & A did state that if it were the Top 11, the 1911 would have been #11.

Cheers,
Duey

Well actually they said the G17 would be 11  ;)

and Friends dont let friends use FOBUS....

KevinB said:
Well actually they said the G17 would be 11  ;)

and Friends dont let friends use FOBUS....

Dang, you're right Kev, Colt was/would have been #12...

...what, the Fobus is worse than that Bianchi POS they issue us with?

Cheers,
Duey

"The FN plant was seized by the Germans during World War II, and the Nazis produced the Hi Power for their own troops. Meanwhile, Dieudonné Saive fled Belgium and eventually settled in Toronto, Canada, helping the John Inglis Co. produce Hi Powers there for Nationalist Chinese, British, Canadian and Greek forces. Thus, both sides made use of the P35 pistol during the war. A well-known variation of the gun was the Capitan model (shown above and below) that incorporated tangent sights graduated to 500 meters and a detachable wooden combination holster/shoulder stock.
  Still in production in 2004, the Hi Power remains in use by militaries and citizenries around the world and, despite myriad new designs, maintains favor for those same qualities that drew acclaim initially. While many may contend that this venerable single-action gun has been equaled, few will say that it has ever been surpassed. "

http://www.nrapublications.org/TAR/BrowningHPPistol.asp

Had he not died in 1926, it would have been interesting to see what changes JMB  himself would have made to the P35 HP AND the 1911A1. 

Tom

How did the 1911 not make the top 10.  I know that you can find more elements of the Hi-Power in modern pistols, then you will find of the 1911.  But I would think that it deserves the top 10, if only for it's continued success and sales numbers.  The Colt Single Action Army and it's copies likely deserve to be on the list for that reason as well.  I'm not overwhelmed with 1911 love, though I have 2.  But I'm astonished that it didn't make the list of an American gun rag like G&A.

Oh yeah, and like Kevin said, Friends don't let friends use Fobus.  Or Uncle Mikes.

Duey -- as I mentioned last night -- yeah its better for your role than the Bianchi POS.
However the constuction is weak and fails in any retention issue.

I will bring a Bladetech IWB and Safariland 6004 back for our compadre...

I read the article last night, the reason the 1911 did not make the top ten, is that it did not influence other designs, whereas the Hi-power really started the world onto reliable 9mm semi-auto’s. It was not the “ten best” but the ten that had the most influence. The 1911 really does not have much of a following outside of the US, I was in Malaysia and all of the shooters that I talked to there found the 1911 hard to handle with their smaller hands.

I did not really agree with inclusion of the Walter P38 and thought that the Glock G17 was a better candidate. I also wonder if the broomhandle had more influence than the Luger, but the Luger did stick around longer.

Also didn’t FN produce the compact .32 semi-auto before Colt?

They also included the C3 colt top break, did that gun come before the British Webelys or after?

Of course a US gun mag is the pinnacle of unbiased firearms advice and opinions, right?

that incorporated tangent sights graduated to 500 meters

Yow!

At the Atlantic Area pistol competition in the late 90s, the first line serial was 10 rounds, 1 handed, standing, at the 100m point... and I think the target was either the 1m screen or maybe 2XFig11 side by each. I don't remember my score... but it wasn't high. Nobody's was.

500m with a Hi-Power? What's that setting for, engaging the broad side of barns?

DG

(no one said it was going to be easy)
BHPs, at one point could be fitted with a butt - making it easier to control..... I guess

Back