• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

Solving the mystery of Rudyard Kipling’s son

It is 80 years since the death of Rudyard Kipling. The author of The Jungle Book and If died without finding out what had happened to his son, who disappeared during World War One. Now researchers think they have definitively solved the mystery that transformed Kipling, writes Hannah Sander.

At the height of his career Rudyard Kipling was Britain's most popular writer. The first Briton to win the Nobel Prize for Literature, he remains the youngest ever winner.

Kipling was born in India in 1865 but sent to live near Portsmouth. "He was brought out of the colour and excitement of India, which he clearly loved, to the drabness of Southsea and foster parents who treated him badly," says Kipling biographer Andrew Lycett.

As an adult Kipling travelled widely. But it was the sour years in Southsea that inspired his most famous story - The Jungle Book. Written in 1894 while Kipling was living in snowy Vermont, the tale was a phenomenal success.

Soldiers fascinated Kipling long before WW1 - he had made his name with a poetry collection, Barrack-Room Ballads.

Kipling's son, John, was one of those keen to join the British war effort in 1914. Barred from the navy because of his poor eyesight, John was forced to use his father's connections to get a commission in the infantry, in the 2nd Battalion, Irish Guards.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35321716

So under this govt. body's PC rules of war, soldiers have to warn the enemy they're about to shoot?

Daily Wire

This British Sniper Is Being Prosecuted. You Won’t Believe Why
By:
Joshua Yasmeh
January 19, 2016

A UK government body is investigating a British sniper for shooting dead an Iraqi enemy combatant in the midst of firing an RPG at allied troops. The sniper’s alleged crime? Not shouting a warning to the attacker before firing.

(...SNIPPED)

I thought it was joke "Onion" style at first, but this seems serious.

My view: As a sniper, what can you do when you tried to warn the enemy combatant but he didn't answer your call on his cell phone because he was in the middle of something?  [:mad:  :rage:

S.M.A. said:
So under this govt. body's bloody PC rules of war, soldiers have to warn the enemy they're about to shoot?

Daily Wire

FTFY.  God, it makes you weep.  They're on a witch hunt in the UK.  Bloody mad, the lot of them that have the power to commit to this COA.  :rage:

This site has some funny memes to it:  https://www.facebook.com/Hailshambonfire/posts/10208396989630256

Just imagine what WW II would have been like if the law firm of Leigh Day & Co had launched such a suit back then.

jollyjacktar said:
FTFY.  God, it makes you weep.  They're on a witch hunt in the UK.  Bloody mad, the lot of them that have the power to commit to this COA.  :rage:

It is almost as if the UK was self-destructing.

12484589_10208396989070242_2979881065646919507_o.jpg

Cue Men (and livestock) of Harlech!

Royal Welsh appoints new regimental goat Fusilier Llywelyn

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-35371670

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208396978389975&set=pcb.10208396989630256&type=3&theater

...makes a mockery of this situation by applying some of this faulty logic to WW II.

George Wallace said:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208396978389975&set=pcb.10208396989630256&type=3&theater

...makes a mockery of this situation by applying some of this faulty logic to WW II.

I just posted that link to my Facebook page George.  Thanks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3410914/David-Cameron-declares-war-witch-hunt-lawyers-PM-backs-Mail-campaign-crack-hounding-brave-British-soldiers.html

I was going to post a link to the Guardian's version of this article, which was virtually identical, except that the second paragraph quoted below was omitted from the Guardian's despatch.

Leigh Day has been referred to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal as a result of the failure to disclose a key document to the Al-Sweady inquiry, which examined claims that British soldiers went on a killing and torture spree following a fierce battle in southern Iraq in 2004.

The document – which showed that the claimants had been members of the Mahdi Army, and not the innocent civilians they made themselves out to be – could have brought the inquiry to an early end.

Labour's new Shadow Defence Minister, she of the anti-Trident views, received UKP 14,500 from Leigh and Day to support her operations.

EMILY THORNBERRY RECEIVED A DONATION FROM LAW FIRM FACING TRIBUNAL
The new shadow defence secretary Emily Thornberry received a £14,500 donation from Leigh Day - a law firm facing possible suspension over allegations it represented Iraqis making false claims against British troops.
Mr Thornberry received the money from the human rights firm to fund a legal research assistant while she was shadow attorney general under Ed Miliband's leadership.
Ms Thornberry declined to say whether she would hand the donation back, telling the Evening Standard it was a 'non-story' and that Leigh Day were a 'great firm'.
Leigh Day have been referred to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal in relation to the firm's handling of the Al-Sweady case.
It is understood the Solicitors Regulation Authority found the firm had failed to declare, work out, or fully comprehend that detainees they were representing were insurgents and not villagers. They also failed to assess the reliability of claimants whose allegations turned out to be false.
The decision to pass the allegations to a tribunal means up to three of the firm's employees could be quizzed. If found guilty, they could be struck off, barred from legal practice and fined tens of thousands of pounds.
In a statement Leigh Day said: 'We believe the decision to refer the firm to the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal is premature as it has not been given a proper opportunity to respond.' A spokesman added: 'We refute all of the allegations made against us.'
Asked about Ms Thornberry in the Commons, Prime Minister David Cameron said: ''I do think it is instructive that we have lost a shadow secretary of state for defence who believed in strong defence; who believed in our nuclear deterrent. And instead we've got someone apparently who takes funds from Leigh Day.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3386245/White-van-man-controversy-Labour-MP-Emily-Thornberry-shadow-defence-secretary-Corbyn-s-shambolic-reshuffle.html#ixzz3y0XheB00
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

The Daily Prole reports a big back down...

Officials drop 58 inquiries into alleged unlawful killings by Iraq veterans

Team set up by the government will not proceed in dozens of cases days after David Cameron calls for end to ‘spurious claims’

Officials have decided to drop investigations into almost 60 claims of unlawful killings by soldiers who served in Iraq.

The Iraq historic allegations team (Ihat), set up by the last Labour government in 2010 to examine claims of murder, abuse and torture during the Iraq war, has decided not to proceed in 57 cases, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed. A further case was stopped by the military’s service prosecuting authority.

Earlier this month, nearly 300 Britons who served in Iraq were contacted by investigators looking into allegations of war crimes, with some being interrogated on their doorsteps, officials said.

Last week, David Cameron ordered ministers to clamp down on lawyers pursuing claims against Iraq veterans.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/24/officials-drop-58-inquiries-into-alleged-unlawful-killings-by-iraq-veterans

Former top IRA official questioned over Birmingham pub bombings

Kieran Conway, who was Provisionals’ spymaster in 1974, interviewed by West Midlands police over attacks that killed 21

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/30/former-top-ira-official-questioned-over-1974-birmingham-six-pub-bombings

Using 'fake soldiers' eh? Must be referring to RAF Regiment then :)

ISIS vs SAS: Elite Brit troops TRICK jihadis into desert death trap with DUMMIES

ELITE SAS troops are slaughtering gullible Islamic State (ISIS) militants by setting traps for them with DUMMIES.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/639728/ISIS-vs-SAS-Elite-Brit-troops-TRICK-jihadis-into-desert-death-trap-with-DUMMIES

daftandbarmy said:
Using 'fake soldiers' eh? Must be referring to RAF Regiment then :) 

Having spent four years in the RAF Regiment between 1977 and 1981, including one tour at RAF Aldergrove and another at Silverbridge in County Armagh, I can't think of a single thing I did during that time that was "fake". 

My Dad spent from 1942 till 1947 serving in the RAF Regiment, serving first in North West Europe and then in Palestine.  During his time in Europe he never spent a day guarding an airfield.  In fact his squadron and two other RAF Regiment Squadrons were quickly thrown together as 1313 Wing, and put into the line at the Leopold Canal where members of his squadron won an MC and a MM.  They were eventually relieved at the Canal by the South Alberta Regiment.  That certainly doesn't sound like they were "fake soldiers" to me either.

I don't insult your regiment, so don't insult mine!

If your dad served in the RAF Regiment in North West Europe in 1942 ... that makes him a P.O.W.  [:D

All joking aside, I like the concept of using dummies to attract more dummies. There's some poetic justice there.  :salute:

Oldgateboatdriver said:
If your dad served in the RAF Regiment in North West Europe in 1942 ... that makes him a P.O.W.  [:D

All joking aside, I like the concept of using dummies to attract more dummies. There's some poetic justice there.  :salute:

Excellent material here ...

I had a mate in 2 Sqn RAF Regt (don't 'out' me though :) ) who was an excellent p*ss taker.

One of my favourites was: 'Oi, PARA. Why so glum? Colouring book full?'.

He was equally adept at taking the p*ss about his own. There were a bunch of senior RAF Officers swarming around at Brize Norton one day and he pointed at them and said 'Crab Nebula'. Ribs hurt for a week.

Back