• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Military Current Events

British soldiers may face Iraq war murder charges after number of 'victims' soars tenfold

Iraq Historic Allegation Team is investigating claims against UK soldiers
Head of the unit says some servicemen are involved in homicide probes
The number of allegations has risen tenfold over the past five years

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3381658/British-soldiers-face-Iraq-war-murder-charges.html#ixzz3w47zVRHv
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Army reserve units are 'woefully undermanned with only one in 10 recruits turning up for duty' say whistleblowers
'Paper soldiers' are kept on the books to boost numbers

Official figures include reservists who have quit, or are unfit for duty
Some units say recruiting is down 40 per cent
Weekend drills routinely see just a dozen out of 100 man unit attend
MOD targets 30,000 army reservists by 2020

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3382701/Army-reserve-units-woefully-undermanned-one-10-recruits-turning-duty-say-whistleblowers.html#ixzz3wELEDbWe

SAS sniper DECAPITATES ISIS bomber blasting armour-piercing bullets THROUGH WALL 1km away

A CRACK SAS marksman took out three key ISIS bombers by blasting armour-piercing bullets THROUGH A WALL from a kilometre away.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/631087/SAS-sniper-decapitates-ISIS-bomber-armour-piercing-bullets

No doubt the accountants are squealing with glee, with the SAS killing 3 with 1 bullet, that will be the new standard....  8)

Colin P said:
No doubt the accountants are squealing with glee, with the SAS killing 3 with 1 bullet, that will be the new standard....  8)

And the RAF Taliban have apparently sought revenge:

RAF dropped special forces into trees by accident

Special forces soldiers are calling for parachute training to be taken out of the hands of the RAF after a serious accident which left nine paratroopers injured.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/8025969/RAF-dropped-special-forces-into-trees-by-accident.html

Unless the SAS plans on manning the airplanes, then they aren't going to have much love. Sounds like the cutbacks are coming to harvest, you can't do things safely without equipment and training. Likely RAF is skimping on the Jumpmaster stuff to save money for "core programs".

Colin P said:
Unless the SAS plans on manning the airplanes, then they aren't going to have much love. Sounds like the cutbacks are coming to harvest, you can't do things safely without equipment and training. Likely RAF is skimping on the Jumpmaster stuff to save money for "core programs".

This kind of stuff happens from time to time, and that's what Para pay is for.

Way back when, I don't recall the problem escalating into a public brawl in the papers about who should own the friggin' aircraft though.

If I remember my Para history correctly the discussion about who should run Ringway goes all the way back to the formation of the Central Landing Establishment and No. 2 Commando in June 1940.  The first Para death at the hands of the RAF was on 13 July, 1940 (per Hilary St. George Saunders).

Chris Pook said:
If I remember my Para history correctly the discussion about who should run Ringway goes all the way back to the formation of the Central Landing Establishment and No. 2 Commando in June 1940.  The first Para death at the hands of the RAF was on 13 July, 1940 (per Hilary St. George Saunders).

In my experience, more Paras have been killed/ injured due to the bad decisions of their own commanders about whether conditions were suitable for jumpjng (usually high/ marginal winds) than any negligence on behalf of the RAF.

Oh no, did I just stand up for Crab Air? Gor blimey.... don't tell the Reg :)

They should be careful what they wish for, they might get a civilian aircraft for their practice and then for the real stuff end up with an RAF aircrew that has never taken part in a jump.

daftandbarmy said:
.....whether conditions were suitable for jumpjng (usually high/ marginal winds)...
Ah yes....the 17 or 18 points of contact, followed by plowing the furrow with your helmet/face.

Good judgement comes from experience; Mess war stories come from bad judgement.  ;D

Good effort! That was the warm up, now for the lesson :)

Staff Sergeant Anthony Burrell has crossed the finish line this morning, having completed all the Army’s fitness tests in 24 hours in a challenge that also saw him run 58 miles wearing the Army’s latest Virtus body armour.

Forty-year-old Anthony, of the Royal Logistic Corps and a Physical Training Instructor in the Army Engagement Group (AEG), began
his challenge at 0930 yesterday at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, running via Deepcut, Pirbright and Aldershot gymnasiums to the finish line at Army HQ.

The personal challenge was two-fold as Anthony aimed to demonstrate the flexibility of the new body armour, which rolls out later this year, whilst raising money for ABF the Soldiers’ Charity, a charity close to his heart.

Anthony was met at the finish line by his family, friends and Army Headquarters staff, who cheered him in. “My support team got me through it, and knowing my family were going to be at the end,” he said. “Words can’t explain how I feel right now. I’ve got my family here. I’m just very, very proud.

“I went through a bit of a rough stage with my feet. I was moaning about two blisters on my little toes. I said to one of the guys, ‘can I borrow your toes?’ I went through a bit of a low. I received a message from one of my friends who lost a limb in Afghanistan and it made me just think; two blisters, really? Keep moving.”

http://britisharmyofficial.tumblr.com/post/124913095516/staff-sergeant-anthony-burrell-has-crossed-the

ONE of the most famous members of Hereford's SAS regiment has died.

John 'Brummie' Stokes helped to make the elite unit famous on an international scale after climbing Everest in the 1970s.

The soldier, who received an MBE, was also well known for his work with the Taste for Adventure centre in Credenhill.

He was born in 1945 in the mining village of Hamstead, just outside Birmingham and it was at 17-years-old that he became a military man and after three years service with the Royal Green Jackets he enlisted into the SAS regiment.

During the next 23 years, he was to take part in active duty all over the world including the Falkland Islands, and was several times decorated.

He always loved mountaineering and with another SAS climber, Bronco Lane, they both joined an expedition to Nuptse, Everest’s near neighbour in 1975- four men died on that trip.

The following year on an army expedition to Mount Everest, Brummie and Bronco went on to make it to the summit. On the way down, they faced appalling conditions, which resulted in both of them losing their toes through frostbite.

They waited for their operations to amputate their toes for three months, after which they had to learn to walk, run and climb again, with only half their feet.

It was 1984 that found him climbing on the north face of Everest. An avalanche wiped out advanced base camp, killing one of the members and injuring several others. Brummie suffered a broken neck.

After leaving the army in 1985 he obtained a permit from the Chinese to climb the north east ridge of Everest, the only remaining unclimbed route on the mountain. At 26,000ft, they were forced to abandon their assault owing to abnormally hazardous weather conditions.

He completed the north-east, unclimbed section of the ridge of Mount Everest, but unfortunately suffered three attacks of cerebral oedema which partially paralysed him.

In 1991 Brummie founded the Taste for Adventure Centre in Credenhill, which he ran with his wife Lynn and a team of qualified staff.

It is an outdoor activity centre for less privileged children.

Brummie was awarded an MBE in recognition of his work in 2004

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/14194702.SAS_legend_dies/

Was teenage soldier found dead at Deepcut ordered to have sex with another private before she died? Court hears sinister claim about 'pimping' at army barracks rocked by string of suicides

Private Cheryl James, 18, was found dead at Deepcut Barracks in 1995
She was one of four soldiers who died there amid claims of bullying
Lawyers representing her family want new evidence to be heard at inquest
Say testimony suggests she was raped or coerced shortly before she died

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3394300/Private-died-Deepcut-told-sleep-someone.html#ixzz3x0XsHMal

Now health and safety chiefs say British soldiers can't fire their mortars because they are too LOUD

The 81mm mortar was routinely employed in fight against the Taliban
But bosses say firing it more than 5,000 metres exceeds work place sound limits
Soldiers can now only practise mortar fire up to a range of 2,000 metres
New rule comes after fears that many veterans have sustained hearing problems

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3398935/British-soldiers-t-fire-mortars-loud-say-health-safety-bosses.html#ixzz3xF1UbfBx

This just in...soldiers no longer allowed to shoot bullets because they might hurt somebody!

daftandbarmy said:
Now health and safety chiefs say British soldiers can't fire their mortars because they are too LOUD

The 81mm mortar was routinely employed in fight against the Taliban
But bosses say firing it more than 5,000 metres exceeds work place sound limits
Soldiers can now only practise mortar fire up to a range of 2,000 metres
New rule comes after fears that many veterans have sustained hearing problems

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3398935/British-soldiers-t-fire-mortars-loud-say-health-safety-bosses.html#ixzz3xF1UbfBx

Artillery causes hearing loss?  Who would have thought?

Gulf War RAF airman and prisoner John Nichol reveals the true horror of his capture 25 years on

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gulf-war-raf-airman-prisoner-7188213#ICID=sharebar_facebook

Back