• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot, General Purpose (Mk III acting/interim replacement)

Bomber said:
Auction is coming this week, 8 and 9 Feb.  Army textiles and material are on the block.  If youfe thinks you have to much stuff now, image when you have 6 pallets of snowshoes or 8 tri-walls of boots delivered.

Sweet. I'm definitely gonna be there this weekend!

Danner forever.  They should just go DANNER! 

For all you new guys in the Army, espeically if you're going to be a lifer in the infantry.  Start treating your knees and backs with respect now, so you won't have bum joints later.  Get your soles done on your MkIII's.  Get a pair of Vibrams, and put in a nice cloud cushion of an insole.  You'll see results after a ruck march or a section attack at the end of the day.

PteG

PteGDD said:
Danner forever.  They should just go DANNER! 

No. They shouldn't. For every one of you who likes them...there's one who doesn't.

Many threads going on boot preferences, your preferred boot is just one of the very few.

Law & Order said:
Hey Librarian any news on the new boots and when they'll start being issued?

RUMINT says they'll come as a Kinder Surprise toy inside the new rucksck.  ;D Find a buddy and trade for your size.

As for the new Combat boot, they are being given out in 5 Bde instead of resoling the Mk III with Vibram soles.  I have two sets and brought one with me to Fort Bliss, TX where I am right now.  I just wore them for two days straight and had no problems.  They are comfy and fit well.  They look just like the Gortex boots but don't have the lining.

Bzzliteyr said:
As for the new Combat boot, they are being given out in 5 Bde instead of resoling the Mk III with Vibram soles.  I have two sets and brought one with me to Fort Bliss, TX where I am right now.  I just wore them for two days straight and had no problems.  They are comfy and fit well.  They look just like the Gortex boots but don't have the lining.

Please tell me they have the non-slip "blue dot" soles.

willy said:
Please tell me they have the non-slip "blue dot" soles.

Dude, they don't need to have the "blue dot" soles. I think those are reserved for readers of National Enquirer or whatever magaizine it is that is accompanied by the lucky "blue dot" that you need to rub for good luck.

The blue tabbed sole was used by the CF to distinguish between which old stock Wet Weather Boots had been resoled and which had not been.

All other boots coming into the system are already equipped with the proper vibram sole. Relax.

Hey, what can I say, I worry about these things.  I'm clumsy, and that slippery old sole caused me to spend quite a bit of time on my butt.

willy said:
Hey, what can I say, I worry about these things.  I'm clumsy, and that slippery old sole caused me to spend quite a bit of time on my butt.

Glad I'm not the only one!!  ;D

The Librarian said:
Dude, they don't need to have the "blue dot" soles. I think those are reserved for readers of National Enquirer or whatever magaizine it is that is accompanied by the lucky "blue dot" that you need to rub for good luck.

The blue tabbed sole was used by the CF to distinguish between which old stock Wet Weather Boots had been resoled and which had not been.

All other boots coming into the system are already equipped with the proper vibram sole. Relax.

Funny you mention that, I just bought a reduced pair($89.95) of Mark's Dakota waterproof/composite toe and sole boots that look like the new boot, albeit made in Vietnam, and they have a blue dot on the Vibram sole.

a78jumper said:
Funny you mention that, I just bought a reduced pair($89.95) of Mark's Dakota waterproof/composite toe and sole boots that look like the new boot, albeit made in Vietnam, and they have a blue dot on the Vibram sole.

Lovely. Then apparently the boots you bought have soles that are made by the same contractor who replaced the DND stocked boot soles. That means you know you won't end up on your ass unexpectedly!!

Please don't tell me you made your purchasing decisions based on that blue knob though. After all there are plenty of vibram soles from other manufacturer's that also meet the specs....PWGSC just contracts our stuff from the lowest bidder!!

And have you rubbed it yet? Has it brought you good luck?  >:D

I never noticed it until after the purchase was made....choice solely based on $$$$. They were $229.99 and reduced to $99.99, plus I had a $10 off coupon. I  really went in looking for something to keep my feet dry and warm at work in a winter boot, and these orphans on the reduced rack filled the bill. Composite safety to and plate as well.

Hope the blue dot brings me good luck re the phone interview I had with Shell Canada yesterday; they want to see me in Fort Mcmurray in early March for a face to face regarding a Supply Chain position. :D

There's a contract on MERX right now for 42,035 pairs of Boots, Combat, General Purpose with a delivery date specified of Oct. 31, 2007. 
http://www.merx.com/English/SUPPLIER_Menu.Asp?WCE=Show&TAB=1&State=7&id=PW-%24%24PR-748-35341&FED_ONLY=0&hcode=%2fq16zltytUb11xk5C3oc3g%3d%3d

Interesting to note that:

-The interior of the boot will have a heel 'counter pocket' of exposed leather  1-1.2mm thick.  Essentially, it's the same piece of leather lining the inside of the heel area that's found on the new CF Desert Combat Boot.  Some people don't mind it, others find that it causes great irratation and chafing/blistering.
HeelCounterLining.jpg

-The Vibram sole has been replaced with a DND developed/proprietary sole unit.  Does this mean that DND's relationship with Vibram is over?  What will be used for an outsole when the boots requiring resoling?  The contract doesn't mention anything about this, or whether these proprietary soles will be produced as resole spares on a separate contract.
SoleDetail.jpg

Two different types of boots Matt,

Combat Boots GP as per the MERX specs, WW Boots remain with the vibram. I've heard zero on any planning to resole the resoled vibram WWBoots into the porprietary sole.

Vern

Roger that Vern, but if you notice, the first run of the Boots, Combat, General Purpose used a Vibram sole.  It'll be interesting to note if the outsole spec for the WWB changes next time it's tendered.

Matt_Fisher said:
Roger that Vern, but if you notice, the first run of the Boots, Combat, General Purpose used a Vibram sole.  It'll be interesting to note if the outsole spec for the WWB changes next time it's tendered.

Entirely possible but I haven't heard any rumblings of it yet. Maybe they are waiting to see how these new soles work out. I believe that the Boots, GP (2nd run) were outfitted with the proprietary sole due to feedback from the user trials. So it's all interesting.

Back