• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boot cleaning / polishing / care of

Unless your plan is to douse them in gasoline, set them on fire, and deny all knowledge.

Because that would be pretty cool, even if contrary to enviromental standards...

I use a hairdryer and a soft cloth,  it does a clean job.  I did that once on the pair I own for two years, I have been struggling with these of late, the leather is bumpy around the sole, I cant get a consistent shine all around... The old model with the hard thin sole was so much better, but these new models has been impossible for me. 

But so much more comfy... I haven't even had to douse a pair of the new ones with gasoline, set them on fire, and deny all knowledge.

a Sig Op said:
But so much more comfy... I haven't even had to douse a pair of the new ones with gasoline, set them on fire, and deny all knowledge.

If you do, make sure you aren't wearing them first :p  I think that's sub-optimal...

The whole shoe/boot should be shone. It looks really odd seeing a partly shone shoe when someones' pant leg moves as they march or when they're seated.

could anyone please tell me which part of the black gore-tex boots i should and shouldnt polish? thanks

thanks. What should i do with these black gore-texs? a lot of people say you dont polish them but the master corporal in charge says we do? any help would be appreciated

patrick206 said:
could anyone please tell me which part of the black gore-tex boots i should and shouldnt polish? thanks

See reply #3 to this thread.

1. You don't shine combat boots, you ensure they're clean and black. They should have given you a can of boot dressing at supply.

2. It's bad manners on this site to post your question in more than one forum.

Hello, My boots are a bumpy on the toes and  I have striped them of their polish 2 times and there still not as smooth as I want them to be.
Does anyone know how to fix them?  ???

More polish?  The wax builds up in between the bumps and helps make a more smooth surface.  Stripping the wax off them won't solve your problem.

I've spent a lot of time polishing boots.  I was in the Air Cadets, Army Reserves, and I have close to 10 years in the Regular Force Navy.  I never really got good at polishing them until a couple years ago, while on my PLQ course.
I used to use a dry cloth to dab in the polish, then dab with water, then start with the small circles.  I did that for several years, and had several years of crappy boots.  Old CPO1 Wiggins had me in his office a couple times for them during my Fleet School days.

Now, before polishing, I soak my Kiwi cloth in water and wring out until just slightly damp.  I take a dab of polish and start with the small circles.  Aside from the occasional huff of breath to fog them up, I add no moisture to the boot.  No spit, water, alcohol, or anything. 

You don't need parade gloss, heat guns, lighter fluid, etc... That very subtle change has made a world of difference, and my boots have improved a hundred fold.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but I found the big tin of Kiwi gave fine results for normal boot shining, but the small can *note: this is the normal small-can Kiwi, not "parade shine" Kiwi* seems to have higher ratio of solid content, so it piles up nicer and is great for very shiny shoes using the cloth and spit shine.

I had a heck of a time getting my shoes to look like obsidian with the big can, never could figure out why it didn't work out. Then I used a small can, instant change in results. Kiwi has even had, don't know if they still have it, a small can labeled "parade shine."

I theorized that the big can has more solvent for (haha) more rapid deployment, and the small can is designed specifically for that glossy shine, so it has more of the non-solvent stuff.

And I don't use actual spit if I spit-shine some shoes, because my tongue is not as clean as tap water. And, I have used a spray-bottle on "mist" setting to keep the surface moist. But, then, this isn't in a military or time-critical application, just good ol' shoes.

Interesting theory on the size of the cans.

I find the regular Kiwi Black Polish yields a deeper, more brilliant shine than Kiwi Parade Gloss.

Never had my parade gloss melt, and I solely use that on my boots.

Back