• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bomb hunters TV show

Finally saw an episode.  Surprised by the use of general labourers and lack of uxo techs on site.  Also disappointed with having them explain the 3.5 inch rocket when the warheads they found were clearly marked 3.2 inch.  Curiosity will keep me watching this at least for awhile.

Why didn't it surprise me when Don Duplisea and Paul Twomey showed up on the show......

NFLD Sapper said:
Why didn't it surprise me when Don Duplisea and Paul Twomey showed up on the show......

Never bothered watching after the first episode.....may just have to now...

It's Paul Toomey BTW.....

ammocat - 100% correct wrt your comment on the 3.2 vice 3.5 rocket ("Also disappointed with having them explain the 3.5 inch rocket when the warheads they found were clearly marked 3.2 inch." ) and clearly marked as DUMMY. Additionally pointing to the nose end and talking about propellant (ass end)!!! Too funny (or is it phony!!!).

AmmoTech90- with all due respect to your experience in Renous, I stand by my comments. I firmly believe that pers back then were diligent in their work and followed accepted standard practice. Doesn't mean it was right, but nevertheless...   

AmmoTech90 said:
Ammo,

I spent a lot of time digging up stuff in Renous, also a depot, and it was most definitely not all FFE.  You can also ask the boys in Pet about the items found buried in the old storage area on base.  We aint angels by far and anyone who would honestly believe no UXO would be present at a former storage site is fooling themselves. 

One thing to keep in mind with private companies is they are not there to make the area safe, they are there to fulfill the contract requirements and most importantly make money.  They're not going to waste time making finely engineered jig to hold some sensors, if they could get away with a 2x4 and duct tape they would.  They do good work, but they're eye is firmly on the bottom line.

Got to take exception to this one.  I spent a good chunk of the past year digging in Petawawa, and to say making the area safe is not a priority is a disservice to every person who poked a shovel in that ground over the past few years.  Not all companies are so cavalier as you seem to think they are, but they also don't benefit from endless R&D and toy building budgets either.  If any of you have always had exactly what you need on hand at any given time and never had to bodge it together in your life, you're clearly in a different CF than I was.

Sure, but can they make it safe to dance?  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dURDqFi7bV8

Kat, Sorry missed a word, should have been "are not there just to make the area safe".

I never said they are cavalier, I said they make what they need to get the job done and dont sweat the cosmetic aspect of it.  I stand by statement though that the companies wouldn't exist if they lost money.  Individuals might be willing to do the job for free grub and a chance to blow stuff up, but the companies aren't.  Would you do the job if it cost you money?

Ammo, I'm not sure what you're saying.  You first implied that live material wouldn't be buried.  Then you say pers followed standard (perhaps wrong) practices.  I've found live ammo buried/hidden/abandoned from long ago in at serveral ammo storage sites.  Do you 
firmly believe that, even though bias, any "dump" there are Free From Explosives.
, i.e. the only things buried deliberately were FFE, or
firmly believe that pers back then were diligent in their work and followed accepted standard practice.
, i.e. disposal of live items by burial was ok at one time but is no longer?

I was a little surPrised when Tremblay showed up with that full face mask for his dive ops. The industry standard is the AGA. He wound up fighting against the huge air bubble in front of his face and was surprised. Thats the first thing a Tec diver would note picking up a mask for work.

And the scene where he lost coms was garbage. He would just switch to line pulls. Had they actually been concerned they would have splashed the safety. But they didn't so they knew he was fine.

AmmoTech90 said:
Kat, Sorry missed a word, should have been "are not there just to make the area safe".

I never said they are cavalier, I said they make what they need to get the job done and dont sweat the cosmetic aspect of it.  I stand by statement though that the companies wouldn't exist if they lost money.  Individuals might be willing to do the job for free grub and a chance to blow stuff up, but the companies aren't.  Would you do the job if it cost you money?

Ammo, I'm not sure what you're saying.  You first implied that live material wouldn't be buried.  Then you say pers followed standard (perhaps wrong) practices.  I've found live ammo buried/hidden/abandoned from long ago in at serveral ammo storage sites.  Do you  , i.e. the only things buried deliberately were FFE, or , i.e. disposal of live items by burial was ok at one time but is no longer?

Of course the companies are in it make money, and I apologize if I made it sound like we only do this for the warm fuzzy feeling you can only get from digging a couple of hundred holes a day in +35C heat.  As in any field of endeavour, cosmetics are nice when time, money and resources permit, but pretty has never been the overriding factor.  If something looks stupid, and it works, it ain't stupid.  The geophysics guys I worked with are always finding newer and cooler ways of finding anomalies, the company will spend the lucra to do the job well and safely.

Container said:
I was a little surPrised when Tremblay showed up with that full face mask for his dive ops. The industry standard is the AGA. He wound up fighting against the huge air bubble in front of his face and was surprised. Thats the first thing a Tec diver would note picking up a mask for work.

And the scene where he lost coms was garbage. He would just switch to line pulls. Had they actually been concerned they would have splashed the safety. But they didn't so they knew he was fine.

Didn't see the show, but you wear the mask that is bought for you. I wore the AGA in my work on SCUBA, I liked it, despite being an air hog, others didn't. The Kirby was our supplied air mask. As for comms, it depends on your protocols, if they say lost comms go back to surface, then that's what you do. This is not rescue work, so no time crunch.

Kat Stevens said:
Of course the companies are in it make money, and I apologize if I made it sound like we only do this for the warm fuzzy feeling you can only get from digging a couple of hundred holes a day in +35C heat.  As in any field of endeavour, cosmetics are nice when time, money and resources permit, but pretty has never been the overriding factor.  If something looks stupid, and it works, it ain't stupid.  The geophysics guys I worked with are always finding newer and cooler ways of finding anomalies, the company will spend the lucra to do the job well and safely.

Kat, there's your problem.  The geophys guys are getting too good at finding anomolies, therefore you have to dig more holes, more often.  Maybe, in the interest of longer contracts for the company, and less digging for you they should cut back on R&D.  I know when we surveyed with Foresters we never had to dig 200 holes in a day.  >:D

Believe me, if you saw the giant red blooms on the map after first second and third pass with the EM 61 array, you'd understand why we dig so much. Pet was unusual for the amount of digging we had to do, we pulled 12.5 metric tons of projectiles out of the Mattawa in a single week of digging last summer, definitely not the usual workload.  We would start excavating a single target hit and end up pulling 10 or more 18 pdrs out of one hole.  It got so you'd hope for a frag pit so you could sit down for a half hour.  Ask one of our resident rotorheads what that ground looked like from above.

Colin P said:
Didn't see the show, but you wear the mask that is bought for you. I wore the AGA in my work on SCUBA, I liked it, despite being an air hog, others didn't. The Kirby was our supplied air mask. As for comms, it depends on your protocols, if they say lost comms go back to surface, then that's what you do. This is not rescue work, so no time crunch.

Yeah Im catching what youre laying down- but it was Tremblay who purchased them- he was right to want through water coms. It may just be editing- I would imagine a guy with his experience would know better. But the editors at History wouldnt.

Out of the full faces in use I think the model they bought has the biggest face bubble. It would be tiring- and even Tremblay says when he gets out of the water that his jaw was tired from fighting the skirt.

When I say they should have switched to line pulls- I should have been more clear. In the show he loses coms. Which happens everyonce in a while on through water coms- but he didnt surface it was edited to look like they were all very concerned about him but no diver is splashed and they dont attempt to communicate through line pulls. they just stare at the water. In reality they would a) wait a second to see if the coms catch again, which would be basically only happen if there was two divers working together. Otherwise you wouldnt wait (in my experience) b) attempt to switch to line pulls c) if he working by himself - splash the safety.

Im SURE it was editing. But it just makes it seems very unrealistic and unsafe. But thats the fault of the channel and producers.\

It would be pretty boring if it was real. *tug* *tug* *tug tug tug*

This is just like "The hurt locker".........just shut your brain off !!

Technically if the divers aren't military they would have to be diving to the Labour code of Canada, which is quite onerous. It's been a few years since I looked at it, but it may cover off requirements for comms. Anything with overhead or risk of entrapment required another full dive team.

I was just perusing the labour code requirements and am now convinced that it couldnt have happened the way it looked on the show. Youre right Colin P. The code has alot more requirements than what the show demonstrated:

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-86-304/page-99.html#docCont 

If anyone is interested.

Cdn aviator is right. Im just going to enjoy the underwater shots and stop with the details.

ammocat said:
Is there really a 18 Pdr WP flat head projectile?

Yes. There are at least four people who I know personally that fit that description  ;D

Actually on a point of jurisdiction, the camera crew would be subject to the CLC Part II and Regs and the "Clearance divers" would be subject to the provincial regulations as EOD type work is not specifically federally regulated.. Having said that as an ex inspector I bet both the provincial safety geeks are wondering WTF???

Nomad933 said:
Actually on a point of jurisdiction, the camera crew would be subject to the CLC Part II and Regs and the "Clearance divers" would be subject to the provincial regulations as EOD type work is not specifically federally regulated.. Having said that as an ex inspector I bet both the provincial safety geeks are wondering WTF???

The CLC applies to working divers unless specifically exempt......where can I get a reference for this? When I dive and do searches for explosives etc I am still subject to the CLC.

Just looking for an expansion on what you said.

Back