• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bomb hunters TV show

my72jeep

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Any one watch the new History show Bomb hunters?

A link would have been nice - Bomb Hunters

BTW no I didn't, will watch it later though.

From TVGuide:

‘Bomb Hunters’: Canada’s deadliest job

For almost a century, Canadian land has been used as a training ground for munitions, rockets, grenades and other items designed to maim and kill. Not all of them go off. The result is a country littered with unstable, unexploded shells capable of killing innocent bystanders. Someone has to clean them up. Cue History’s Bomb Hunters.

Ray Tremblay is one of the unsung heroes getting a well-deserved turn in the spotlight for making our whole country, and a corner of Quebec in particular, safer. The former Canadian Forces combat engineer heads up Mine/EOD, a company which specializes in disposing of buried ordinances. Tremblay and his staff are one of three teams followed in Season 1 of Bomb Hunters, debuting Monday at 10 p.m. ET on History.

The stocky Tremblay is in charge of cleaning out Lac St. Pierre, a large body of water in Quebec that was used as a testing ground during both the Second World War and the Cold War. Allied countries used the area — and roughly 700 other spots around the country — to lob explosives at, trying new technologies that were then used overseas.

“All the Allied countries used Canada for testing because we had the land,” Tremblay explained over the phone recently. “There was no war here, so they decided to take the land that they could.”

Now, with the population growing, Canadians are encroaching on land bristling with unexploded ordinances (UXOs). Lac Saint Pierre is especially bad, says Tremblay. He casually mentions his team is preparing to haul 300 “big bombs” out of the shallow lake after nine years of sediment testing and dredging a cleared area of water for residents to use. He expects the remaining work will last two years. The lake, he outlined, was used for testing from the 1950s right through the middle of the Cold War. Residents were removed from the area whenever testing occurred, and would be allowed back on the land right after.

“I was talking to a guy and he told me the big bangs were his alarm clock in the morning,” Tremblay recalled with a chuckle.

Tremblay, who was deployed on two overseas missions as part of the Canadian Forces — 1991-92 in Kuwait and 1999-2000 in Bosnia — admits disposing of old bombs is dangerous (luckily no one has died doing it yet) but necessary.

“I’m happy to be part of this show, because now the country knows this part of our history. It’s dangerous and it needs to be done,” Tremblay explains. “When you prepare for war, you make a mess somewhere, right? Because of what happened in the training, tens of thousands of lives were saved during the war.”

Bomb Hunters debuts Monday, Aug. 27, at 10 p.m. ET on History.

Thx,
ME

What I want to know is who is going around burying all these laws and regulations?

And what makes them explosive?

AmmoTech90 said:
What I want to know is who is going around burying all these laws and regulations?

??? ???

Tremblay, who was deployed on two overseas missions as part of the Canadian Forces — 1991-92 in Kuwait and 1999-2000 in Bosnia — admits disposing of old bombs is dangerous (luckily no one has died doing it yet) but necessary.

Since no one has died doing it yet, it is clearly not as dangerous an activity as those that can lead to dihydrogen-monoxide poisoning...

AmmoTech90 said:

The Tories and they are liberal laws!!!! :bowing:

I just finished watching it, and I mean I am finished watching it.  There were some cheap attempts at creating tension amongst the actors, but really it will become interesting only to an Ammo Tech or EOD about to retire and looking for work.

It sounds like it might be interesting to see some old friends on TV, but really it is trying to make a range clearance dramatic.  Only, I presume, without the yelling to keep the sweepers in line.

Watched it, recognized a couple of techs but overall amazing show!!! (LOL). Definitely Hollywood'ish (who else would call an "Explosive Ordnance", a "BOMB"). Did anyone notice that XTECH, NOTRA, GD-OTS… are not featured in this show. That's because real "techs" didn't want to be associated with this drama show and some of these "actors" (Additionally, "Range Clearance" as it should be called is not as sexy as "Bomb Hunting". No wonder Steve Donovan jumped ship and joined a real Range Clearance company!!!).

In bomb disposal, boring is good, with just the occasional planned BANG to live it up with.

I missed the opening show.  Will watch it online.
Yes, I know it is going to be like most of the "reality shows" that try to create "drama" where none exists...
Just want to see which old fart I recognize ;-)

Chimo!

Episode 2 tomorrow night at 10PM (Ont Local Time). Don't miss it!!!

Watched part of it last night.

UGH.

I know Sean Dockrill, sailed with him years ago before he crossed over to become a clearance diver (which on the show, was described as a combat engineer???)  and he's a former Naval Weapons Tech....the part with him fooling around with the guys on site is his personality....the way his boss jacked him up, well, pure theater I think. 

The "system" they were trying to use to sweep the bottom of the river was rather hokey....I worked with Side Scan SONAR systems for a while (a short while) but we had some pretty sensitive magnetometer instruments available too....and saying that their GPS antenna's stainless steel mounting point was affecting the readings....????  And of course, when their "trial" passed, they didn't show the readout on the screen....interesting.

The whole aluminium frame design that they have for that "sensor" bank is, well, completely impractical, as you could see in their testing.  (Getting blown around everywhere.)  Designed by someone who has a good idea about magnetic signatures, but poor real world engineering skills for practical, employable/deployable systems.

I'm not favourably impressed with the show. 

NS

Thanks, NS.  I'll give it a miss and save an hour of life.  I can spend it here instead.  :nod:

Just finished watching Episode 2, more drama...
Can't believe that Gemtech was allowed to hire General Labour vice General Technical workers, no wonder the project got shut down after they realized that there might be some "live" UXO. But I doubt it!!! McGivney was an Ammunition Depot and I firmly believe that, even though bias, any "dump" there are Free From Explosives.
On the other hand, don't know much Thiepval but seems like the biggest hazard in that operation is environmental, not necessarily explosive (IMOO). 

Ammo,

I spent a lot of time digging up stuff in Renous, also a depot, and it was most definitely not all FFE.  You can also ask the boys in Pet about the items found buried in the old storage area on base.  We aint angels by far and anyone who would honestly believe no UXO would be present at a former storage site is fooling themselves. 

One thing to keep in mind with private companies is they are not there to make the area safe, they are there to fulfill the contract requirements and most importantly make money.  They're not going to waste time making finely engineered jig to hold some sensors, if they could get away with a 2x4 and duct tape they would.  They do good work, but they're eye is firmly on the bottom line.

Back