• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Reserves 2010 - 2017

Two recruits from two different units on the same course with no kit list. Face meet Palm.

To the other guy I talked to earlier- on reflection, you can probably safely not bring winter kit.

I've heard of shaping a beret, but never shaving a beret...

dapaterson said:

It seems some do,

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+shave+beret&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=sI8aWILUIISN8Qef94CoCg&gws_rd=ssl

mariomike said:
It seems some do,

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+shave+beret&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=sI8aWILUIISN8Qef94CoCg&gws_rd=ssl

Where??

https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+shave+beret&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=sI8aWILUIISN8Qef94CoCg&gws_rd=ssl#safe=off&q=site:army.ca+%22shave+a+beret%22

John Tescione said:

"Some people shave their berets, others don't."

"Shaving it will help, but go buy a cheap pack of razors from the dollar store"

"Then your going to have to shave it with a razor"

"take a disposable razor and shave the beret to remove the excess fuzz."

"My buddies told me otherwise so they took it from me, cut the liner out, made me shave it, soak it hot water, and then slapped it on my head."

"Then your going to have to shave it with a razor well make that a few razor, do both the outside and inside."

"Then take a razor and shave all the fuzzy bits off."

"I told them to shave there beret."

etc...

dapaterson said:

In 35+ years I've never shaved a beret or even heard of it until this morning.

Go on line and order a new beret from Logistiks.....

Honestly.....shaving a beret....  :facepalm:

I have legitimately heard of shaving a beret numerous times over, but always second hand.

I, for one, revel in how perfect this particular new guy anecdote is. A hairy/linty beret quite understandably became The Biggest Thing In The World. Our New Guy searched (as we encourage him to do), and stumbled upon the 'shave your beret' advice. New Guy goes and literally shaves a hole in his beret, which as we all know is actually basically just one big pressed piece of lint that gradually dismantles itself minutes before each and every insepction. Now finding himself with a fingernail sized hole in his beret, and a dumb-yet-relatively-understandable reasont hat his instructors will treat as -the-biggest-deal-ever-in-the-whole-world, New Guy is now in a minor but very justified panic.

Nobody got hurt, no fires were set intentionally or accidentally (yet), nobody was or will be charged, it's Op-Honour compatible, and the only people excluded are Highlanders, which we're used to anyway.

We await at this point just a single conniption fit from a MCpl, one more from a WO, and an exasperated, pained, yet tolerant trip to clothing stores with the Cpl who is the course admin -lackey.

Ah, the sweet innocence of recruits.

Maybe very small amount of superglue applied extremely carefully from the inside can give you a temporary repair. Dispense a small amount onto a piece of paper, and use a pin or needle to take small amounts. Apply directly on the edge of the hole and gently press the two edges together. Using the thicker kind of superglue would be better than the thinner. And stop shaving your beret. Sheesh....  :facepalm:

ModlrMike said:
Maybe very small amount of superglue applied extremely carefully from the inside can give you a temporary repair. Dispense a small amount onto a piece of paper, and use a pin or needle to take small amounts. Apply directly on the edge of the hole and gently press the two edges together. Using the thicker kind of superglue would be better than the thinner. And stop shaving your beret. Sheesh....  :facepalm:

This is probably the best advice for a quick solution.  You will likely need to get yourself a new beret though.  I wouldn't worry about a shiny band if you choose to get one from a surplus store.  That used to be the standard issue and you could always say that you must have been issued an older one.  Having old kit in stores is nothing new  ;D.

As for the seriousness of your "crime," it's not.  No one gets kicked out of the CAF for having a hole in their beret.  It was an accident and your explanation to your instructors (if they even notice) will result in nothing more than a lot of bluster.  Sure, they may yell and may perhaps make inappropriate comments about your heritage, but it's all really just an act and that will be the end of it.  After making a big production out of it, your instructors will likely excuse themselves and go someplace away from the students so they can kill themselves laughing about it.  It will give them stories to tell amongst their peers later over a beer.  You will have given your instructors a moment of mirth and that's not so bad.  Really, is it wrong to make a MCpl happy?

Having said this, don't make a habit of this sort of thing.  Once is funny and even you will laugh about it in the future.  Twice is less funny.  Multiple times and we start to wonder...  Don't be the guy who's always shaving holes in his beret - keep it whole.

I finished basic this past summer and some of the guys would shave the beret. It was the dumbest thing I've ever seen and heard of. It creates a mess and if not properly cleaned it will be found in the inspection. I was the only one in my tent (out of 6) who did not shave my beret and the instructors didn't care (ie: I turned out fine). Some say it makes the beret look better, however you're playing with fire if you ask me.

Quick story: One of the PO2's caught one of the recruits shaving their beret and he was given an earful. I remember hearing "this is destruction of the Queen's property."

My advice to recruits would be do not tamper with your kit. It's that simple.

luttrellfan said:
I finished basic this past summer and some of the guys would shave the beret. It was the dumbest thing I've ever seen and heard of. It creates a mess and if not properly cleaned it will be found in the inspection. I was the only one in my tent (out of 6) who did not shave my beret and the instructors didn't care (ie: I turned out fine). Some say it makes the beret look better, however you're playing with fire if you ask me.

Quick story: One of the PO2's caught one of the recruits shaving their beret and he was given an earful. I remember hearing "this is destruction of the Queen's property."

My advice to recruits would be do not tamper with your kit. It's that simple.

It's a Next-To-Skin item, it's not like it will be returned and recycled to someone else... Hell, you can even keep your beret after retirement.

"Queen's property" .... Haha haha

I personally did use a Gillette Trac2 razor and very, very gently shaved the excess fuzz off my beret. I also did it while it was wet to avoid any unnecessary nicks or cuts (to the beret).

Looks great, a lot better than some berets, but it was my own personal decision and understood the risks.

Hello
Does anybody know the dates for weekend BMQ in 2017 in lower mainland BC?  I searched everywhere, got some info, but not really in BC. Just wanted to see if there is anybody out there who knows about the possible dates in the new year 2017.
Going to get sworn in December, BMQ to follow in the new year.
Thank you

the one that runs mon-fri or whatever, for army reserves. anyone know? ontario

BMQ is either run on weekends, or sometimes full-time in the summer.
Full-time in this context means 7 days a week. You may get weekends off IF your staff likes you and IF your platoon doesn't screw up.

Reg force full time BMQ is run every week (or every two weeks)and is also 7 days a week (with weekend permissions at the staff's pleasure).

paleomedic said:
BMQ is either run on weekends, or sometimes full-time in the summer.
Full-time in this context means 7 days a week. You may get weekends off IF your staff likes you and IF your platoon doesn't screw up.

Reg force full time BMQ is run every week (or every two weeks)and is also 7 days a week (with weekend permissions at the staff's pleasure).

I see. but what are the dates for the full time courses in 2017 ?

It doesn't matter unless you've won your appeal for your medical denial based on OCD meds. There is a hundred variables on what courses are running, the only one that matters to you is getting past a swearing in ceremony.

PuckChaser said:
It doesn't matter unless you've won your appeal for your medical denial based on OCD meds. There is a hundred variables on what courses are running, the only one that matters to you is getting past a swearing in ceremony.
i am in the army. i am just trying to find out the dates for the 2017 full time bmq's so i can work my schedule around it.

Seize said:
i am in the army. i am just trying to find out the dates for the 2017 full time bmq's so i can work my schedule around it.

If you're in the Reserves. Ask your COC/Orderly Room.

Back