• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Reserves 2010 - 2017

chipinator said:
Congrats! Good to see they finally crammed you in, see you tomorrow evening!

Thanks! Not sure I will recognize you, but see you tonight!

chipinator said:
I'll be one of the two Arty officers, see you tonight!

Oh, but I'm doing BMQ though (non-commissioned)! We won't be at FYA. We will assemble there tonight but will be taken elsewhere for our first weekend of training.

Do i get to work/participate in Ex's with my reserve unit before BMQ?
I have been accepted and next week is my Enrollment Ceremony. But from my knowledge the next bmq starts next January (2016).
So Do i or NAH

It used to be 'no', you could not partake in field exercise until you were trained/semi-trained.

If you have no training, what worth do you have on an ex?  My experience is 'very little' and you're one more person I'd of had to almost literally babysit.

I believe there is a rule regarding not having BMQ-L and being able to sleep outside, however now that reserve basic does a mini field portion this might have changed. However I'm under the impression that this was/is the major factor allowing or prohibiting pats.

It is called the delta package, see the reply below

When I was a new recruit there was very little training at the unit in fact I even did week night training with another unit. Now they have a dedicated training troop where they teach the basics of drill, voice procedure etc.

I got to participate on a brigade ex as a new recruit it was a pretty cool experience to sit in the TOC and watch the ex happen, at mid night I even got to send a few radio checks.

I have friends who had similar experiences with their units.

The current unit that  I'm at has the pats at every training night at unit training weekend at the armouries.

My first major ex after SQ was a week long ex and when the duty officer asked me how experience I had on the radio and I said "zero", he was surprised that i was in a duty sig position. However after a week of mentoring by Mcpls, Cpl and various duty officers I was fairly sufficient.

Depends a lot on your trade and your unit. However once your basic starts you'll find that 2-3 weekends of BMQ is more than enough. However like eye said you aren't trained so it might not be glamourous work.

The "Delta" package has been added to BMQ since 2012, teaching soldiers the skills needed to keep from freezing overnight on FTX.  Without BMQ, you cannot go on an overnight ex, but as long as your unit is willing to bring you along, you may participate in day exercises.

Hi guys!

I know I've posted something similar to this in the French section, I'm sorry, but I didn't get a full answer and my question is more precise now.

Could someone please tell me what are the dates for the summer bmq this year? I'm french, from the region of Montreal, and applying for the reserve as a ncm. I have to do some summer courses for my university degree, from May to June 23rd, and I wonder if that makes it too late to do both my bmq and sq during the next summer (I have until the end of august)?

Thanks a lot

The dates aren't really going to help you. There could be a course on  June 24th, but if your unit doesn't have spots or if there are people infront of you in the que you will be SOL.

What is your trade? They've scaled back the SQ for everything except infantry it is now something like 14 days vice the original 26 or so (Infantry also no longer does SQ they have a DP 1 split into two mods).

All in all it should be possible because the reserves has a vested interest in getting the High school through Basic + SQ so that highschool students with longer DP 1.0s (I.e Sigs, Engineers) can do
their trades course the following summer.

That being said, nothing especially with the military is a guarantee.

Even if you can only get the basic it is possible that there will be an SQ on the weekends as well during the next year.

This is a question better directed for your recruiter.

Thank you for the info runormal! I know there's no guarantee but it helps me plan how I can balance my studies and the reserve.

I'm appying for intelligence operator. I'm at the end of the process. I called the recruitment center last week and they told me that they are finishing the background check, so I hope to have a place in the summer BMQ (or in the winter one, but it will probably be full) You say the SQ is now shorter. Do you know if that means the BMQ have been extended?

Thanks again!

No problem,

You say the SQ is now shorter. Do you know if that means the BMQ have been extended?

I believe it is still the same length 11 (11 weekends) how it has slightly changed since when I originally did basic.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/110362/post-1403858.html#msg1403858
See Reply 41 They added the "Delta" portion but I'm not sure if this required an additional weekend.

Here is the a discussion regarding the new BMQ-L course. As far as I'm aware they removed some weapons systems: Grenade, M72, C6 and the time in the field is less.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/115327.0

Cheers :subbies:

I have my interview coming up in less than a week. I understand getting an offer and being slotted into BMQ can be as little as a month of around a year. I search up my local reserve BMQ dates and they begin in February. If for some unlikely reason I am fortunate enough to somehow get an offer, I have these questions:

1. During Reserve Weekend BMQ, I am expected to attend Parade nights or just the Weekend BMQ's?

2. In terms of stress/intensity, would Summer RESERVE BMQ be more stressful/intense since you are on a base and on course the whole time whereas weekend BMQ's, you return to your civilian life right after the weekend?

3. If I need to bus to my local reserve unit, can I do so in uniform (combats) as long as everything is worn up to standard

Hi there! I am in the application process myself, so I don't have any experience first hand, but I've read a lot of stuff on this forum and I have a friend who did a summer BMQ, so I can try to answer you. Obviously anyone with experience will help you better, but until then, here's what I think:

1. From what I heard, that depends on your unit. Some ask you to come in so you can pratice what you learned on your weekend, and some others don't want you until you've completed the course

2. I wonder it too... I think each has their pros and cons. On a summer bmq, you are always there, so it's harder physically (you don't have a whole week to recover) and it's harder for the lack of sleep too. I heard you get into the military routine better, but it's definitely intense and maybe, a more thorough experience. On the weekends bmq, you have your personal life to balance, and it can be stressful if you're a student and have a big workload. The stuff in the course is condensed, but the PT and everything else is the same (i heard). 

3. I think you can... but don't trust me on that.

1) Ask your unit. I would personally try to go.  If you attend, you get paid. and you might learn stuff, even if its not the fun stuff.

2) Depends on what you consider stressful. I did a summer BMQ years and years ago (1996) and I didn't find it that bad.  I have never done a weekend BMQ course.  Nice thing about doing it all in one shot, is you get it done and over with, and the content might be better since they have the proper time to teach you everything instead of being constrained by a weekend. But if you can do a weekend BMQ right away, it means you are more beneficial to your unit, instead of sitting on the side lines until July.

3) Since the attack on Parliament Hill, some units have changed their policies on wearing of the uniform to and from training.  Check with your unit.

Aaron97 said:
1. During Reserve Weekend BMQ, I am expected to attend Parade nights or just the Weekend BMQ's?

Attending parade night while on BMQ 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/79728.0

Aaron97 said:
2. In terms of stress/intensity, would Summer RESERVE BMQ be more stressful/intense since you are on a base and on course the whole time whereas weekend BMQ's, you return to your civilian life right after the weekend?

Difference between reserve's part-time BMQ and summer full-time BMQ?
http://army.ca/forums/threads/109707.0

Advice wanted - weekend or summer Reserve BMQ?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/32126.0

BMQ: Weekends Vs. Summer 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/26295.0

etc...

Aaron97 said:
3. If I need to bus to my local reserve unit, can I do so in uniform (combats) as long as everything is worn up to standard

Reserve Force.  Members of the Reserve Force shall not wear uniform except when: a.  on duty, or  proceeding to  or from their place of duty; 
Reply #444 on: April 14, 2015
From, Wearing Uniform in Public (merged)
18 pages.

Aaron97 said:
I have my interview coming up in less than a week. I understand getting an offer and being slotted into BMQ can be as little as a month of around a year. I search up my local reserve BMQ dates and they begin in February. If for some unlikely reason I am fortunate enough to somehow get an offer, I have these questions:

It depends I've been in two units and when I was on basic we didn't have much to do, but occasionally where invited to do some stuff. The unit I'm currently at has the PAT's coming out to everything. Like Stealthy said it is a unit by question, but if you can go. Your unit will tell you. They might also be able to help you with anything you are finding challenging.

Aaron97 said:
I've done "both". I did a weekend BMQ, and a full time SQ (obviously not the same content, but similar), I think they both have their pro's and cons.

Weekend BMQ Pros
- not necessary to take time off work (Usually)
- allows you to get your feet wet if you aren't sure
- Steady income for a students.
- You'll stay within your geographical area.
- You'll get qualified quicker.

Weekend BMQ Cons
- Skill fade because the course drags on
- It takes time to "Switch ON" to Army mode back off to Civvy Mode.
- Other Stressors could impact your performance (Relationships, School, Work). It is quite possible to take a show up already being in a shitty mood.
- If you are a student it is usually a challenge to balance, school, army, and social life. It usually just takes one bad semester  >:D.

Full Time SQ Pros
- It is all over in one shot
- You are solely focused on the course and really don't have much bothering you
- No Skill Fade
- You "Feel" like you are in the Army

Full Time SQ Cons
- If you don't get leave you can be kept at the base for the weekend and depending on your staff that will suck.
- Likely will be a lot farther away from your home so while you may have the weekend off you'll likely just drink beer.  :subbies:
- Challenge for people to get time off work
- If you are student and you can only get a full time basic in the summer and can't get on your 3's it will slow everything down.

I think they both have their advantages. I think the Weekend Basic exists so that people can try the reserves before they convince their employer that they need 1 month or 2 months for a course in the summer. It also qualifies people quicker. There were times when I preferred the weekend basic and there was time when I preferred the part time. 

Aaron97 said:
Shouldn't be a problem I routinely take the bus to ex to and from in combats. One thing to remember is that people may try and talk to you ask questions about you the army and in general so be prepared to answer in the best of your ability. If you don't know, you don't know. You also may get told to "Fuck off" or something on those lines. The worst I had was when some guy was drunk and gave me shit for about 20 minutes which was fun :nod:... All in all people are generally pretty helpful and genuinely curious about the army but there is the odd idiot here or there.

Point C: My basic made us bring everything (Ruck, 2 duffells and a barrack box). I never tried to take it on the bus because it is awkward enough with just a ruck sack. I got rides when I could and took cabs when I couldn't (out of pocket).  I've seen people do it, but it might be something to think about.

Do you go to the training center friday night or Saturday morning?

Back