• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Reserves 2010 - 2017

Sadly, charging a class A reservist is basically putting money in their pockets.  50 dollar charge but needs to sign in for several days to get it all done.

Admin action on the other is somewhat more effective.

Remius said:
Sadly, charging a class A reservist is basically putting money in their pockets.  50 dollar charge but needs to sign in for several days to get it all done.

Admin action on the other is somewhat more effective.

If they don't dodge it.

Lumber said:
There is no AWOL in the reserves.

I know you apologized later, but tell those PRes sailors who are adrift their chargers are not real.  >:D

Lumber said:
If they don't dodge it.

There are provisions in the Remedial measures section of the DAODs so that an administrive measure can be delayed. For example: a C&P is only in effect when the soldier is at work. He/she can't just get a 6 month C&P and start it on day onoe then come back to work 6 months later and expect it to be over.

BinRat55 said:
Voluntarily... what? THEY can deal? Good Lord man...
Yes. If he asks for time off to see the birth of his first kid and the reserve unit says too bad you're BMQ course is way too important the member can voluntarily remove himself from training and deal with his unit either placing him on the next available course or trying to release him. I have a feeling if the media finds out the unit is trying to release a part time soldier because he quit his course in order to see the birth of his kid they would change their tune.

Really? Seriously? Let's just advise a new soldier that we find it OK to just do what ever we want, break rules, and things will work out in the end. This has got to be the most inane statement i have seen on this site in a while...
It's the nature of the reserves and reserve employment.  What law is he breaking by not showing up?  If he goes into work, signs a pay sheet then leaves his unit can charge him.  Do you think the unit is going to charge him for being at the birth of his kid when he's not even signed a pay sheet?

I think I would (for my own personal sanity) chalk your post up to a severe vitamin deficiency or even a bad hockey game outcome...
I don't eat fruits and only potato's for vegetables so that could be it.

Jarnhamar said:
Yes. If he asks for time off to see the birth of his first kid and the reserve unit says too bad you're BMQ course is way too important the member can voluntarily remove himself from training and deal with his unit either placing him on the next available course or trying to release him. I have a feeling if the media finds out the unit is trying to release a part time soldier because he quit his course in order to see the birth of his kid they would change their tune.
It's the nature of the reserves and reserve employment.  What law is he breaking by not showing up?  If he goes into work, signs a pay sheet then leaves his unit can charge him.  Do you think the unit is going to charge him for being at the birth of his kid when he's not even signed a pay sheet?

I don't eat fruits and only potato's for vegetables so that could be it.

My point - once more for the great big controversy now on this thread - was quite simple - just friggin TELL some one. The OP wants to be there for the birth of his child. I or anyone else can't blame him. Very good reason. He has more leeway than others in that he IS an "unqualified" reservist. I have a young man in my Sqn who was at the Megaplex on reg force basic when HIS first born was introduced to the world and it only happened in Montreal. He asked to go, was denied. Sucked to be him, but he followed direction.

OP (and anyone else reading this) - whether or not the circumstances for contravening an order is justified in your mind, please don't "figuratively" shoot up you middle finger at your CoC and do whatever you want. We (both Reg and Res) have rules for a reason. Engage your CoC and explain your situation - with enough time to come up with solutions. You'll be surprised.

Don't worry Gunshark, there's going to be another course starting at the end of the month, so maybe you'll manage to get on that one if your process is coming to an end!

BinRat55 said:
I have a young man in my Sqn who was at the Megaplex on reg force basic when HIS first born was introduced to the world and it only happened in Montreal. He asked to go, was denied. Sucked to be him, but he followed direction.

And yet we preach we need to support the military FAMILY so much;  I guess as long as we say it we don't have to follow thru.

Tours, deployments, etc I can see a mbr missing the birth of a child;  my father did.  It was for op reasons.  But, IMO, BMQ is not something we need to keep people away for important stuff like a birth.  Maybe I am getting soft in my old(er) age or something.

:2c:

Right here! Got confirmation of the start date in late September. I reckon location will be provided closer to the date.

This is me from now until course :panic:

Is this actually another part-time Toronto BMQ that was opened? I heard there's BMOQ in late-Oct or Nov, on which some NCMs may get loaded as well.

chipinator said:
Don't worry Gunshark, there's going to be another course starting at the end of the month, so maybe you'll manage to get on that one if your process is coming to an end!

Thanks for the encouragement, I saw your other post. My file is done, now I just have to wait and see.

Eye In The Sky said:
And yet we preach we need to support the military FAMILY so much;  I guess as long as we say it we don't have to follow thru.

Tours, deployments, etc I can see a mbr missing the birth of a child;  my father did.  It was for op reasons.  But, IMO, BMQ is not something we need to keep people away for important stuff like a birth.  Maybe I am getting soft in my old(er) age or something.

:2c:

I agree. Common sense needs to prevail, and for the life of me, I can't remember where I put the stock code for that...

Ok so I've received an email from the recruiter that there is an Oct 30 course. It's for officers, however they're working on letting some NCMs join as well, people such as myself who missed the early Oct course. Have to wait some more and see.

George Wallace said:
No need to :panic: .  Just take a "Stress Tab".

Gunshark said:
Ok so I've received an email from the recruiter that there is an Oct 30 course. It's for officers, however they're working on letting some NCMs join as well, people such as myself who missed the early Oct course. Have to wait some more and see.

In the Reserves, Officer Candidates and NCMs are treated the same when 'recruits (Untrained)".  Officer Candidates can be loaded on a BMQ.  Both courses are almost, if they are not, identical.  Courses need to have a minimum number of candidates in order to be run, or they are cancelled.  It would make little difference if there were NCMs loaded on an BMOQ Crse to fill out the numbers and make it possible to run the course. 

It is curious that there would be enough Officer Candidates in that close proximity to run a part-time weekend BMOQ, so I suspect it is really a BMQ.  Usually the BMOQ crses made up solely of Officer Candidates are run for a continuous period of time of two or three weeks in one location, where candidates from all areas would attend.  This does not sound like the case here.  (I am not privy to all the information, so this is only a guess on my part.)

Thanks for that bit, George. I'll be able to give more info once I find out what's really going on.

BinRat55 said:
OP (and anyone else reading this) - whether or not the circumstances for contravening an order is justified in your mind, please don't "figuratively" shoot up you middle finger at your CoC and do whatever you want. We (both Reg and Res) have rules for a reason. Engage your CoC and explain your situation - with enough time to come up with solutions. You'll be surprised.

I totally agree. I plan to meet with my CoC by months end, which gives us 6+ months to figure something out.
Based on everything I've read in this thread, it should be a non-issue.
That said, I would never "figuratively" shoot up my middle finger, even if the unit couldn't charge or release me. Not only would I lose the respect/trust of my CoC but more importantly I would lose the respect/trust of my squad. That's not an environment I want to work in.

Skeatah33 said:
I totally agree. I plan to meet with my CoC by months end, which gives us 6+ months to figure something out.
Based on everything I've read in this thread, it should be a non-issue.
That said, I would never "figuratively" shoot up my middle finger, even if the unit couldn't charge or release me. Not only would I lose the respect/trust of my CoC but more importantly I would lose the respect/trust of my squad. That's not an environment I want to work in.

Sounds like you have a decent grip on the situation, and keep that attitude - yes, your CoC is important, but your people are your people. Eventually you will be a boss and remember how you were treated as a young Pte. Good or bad, we all learn how to treat people from how we ourselves are treated.

I wish you luck on the birth of your chicklet and in your career as well!

Back