• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Reserves 2010 - 2017

You have been on this site since 11 March 2011.  Surely you have, as a university student now, done some research and read the many posts on this very subject.

This is a REDUNDANT topic......and

Why start a new thread?

All About Co-op (merged)
http://army.ca/forums/threads/1238.0.html

Hello,
I understand what is needed for the basic training.  I want to join the Canadian Armed Forces when I am old enough to (I'm currently 16).  I've researched everything for basic training, but I can't find what happens afterwards.  Can anyone tell me?

After BMQ you are sent for your trade training, if no spot is available upon graduation you are put in a holding platoon until a spot is available. After training you are posted. (to my knowledge at least) hope this clears it up for you!

There are already 2 other threads for this date...... You could've searched a little better.

http://army.ca/forums/threads/117608.0.html
http://army.ca/forums/threads/117429.0.html

Do more research, there is plenty of information here and on the internet.  The Forces.ca website has videos, of what each trade does post BMQ.  You didn't look hard enough, and I won't let people spoon feed you

Locked.

HM
army.ca staff

tlompa4180 said:
This one is for Hamilton Reserve not :) regular

Probably could've put Reserves in your title then, it looks like you're flying out of Hamilton or something lol.

Moore said:
Probably could've put Reserves in your title then, it looks like you're flying out of Hamilton or something lol.

I disagree, I knew exactly what he was getting at and I think if anyone else on this board is going on that basic they will as well.

Have fun on basic.

First of all, I'm interested in being in the reserves long term. I've applied for infantry ncm. However I do have an established civilian career. But according to the information session I went to, they said the reserves are very accommodating to your civilian job. So I would just like to ask a few simple questions.

1) How long should I expect to be gone for my first summer?

2) When we train during the fall and winter months, can I go Friday and Saturday and leave sunday if my civilian job requires my presence on that sunday.

3) If I do BMQ my first summer, can I wait till the following summer to do BMQ-L, if my civilian job wont give me more then 5 weeks off?

4) Do you generaly get weekends off during summer training?

Thanks for your help.

Reserve training is offered both on weekend basis (Winter and Spring) which is Fri-Sun. Alternatively you can take your training full time during the summer.

1. Full time Reserve basic is 5 weeks

2. No. Part time courses are condensed as it is, you will need to be in attendance all 3 days. How do you expect to be able to do your field and range portions if you need to leave on Saturday night?

3. Look into your Provincial Reservist Job Protection Legislation, you can certainly get more than 5 weeks off. Yes you can do BMQ one year and BMQL the next. I did. Your trade qualification course(s) are a whole other story... Mine for example is 8 weeks.

4. Depends on how long your course is and if your course staff think you've earned the weekend off. Generally, yes you will have some weekends off of a full time summer course.

Thanks for the reply.
So when you were done BMQ, how often did you train during the fall and winter months?
From what I understand, the course following BMQ-L is DP1. Isnt that alson a 4 week course?

There is no more BMQ-L for infantry reservists. You go straight from your BMQ onto your DP1.1 then your DP1.2, I am unsure how long in total this makes the DP1 portion though, so I'll defer this to someone who actually knows.

After course you train from September until November, one day a week + one weekend a month, and are stood down from mid December to the beginning of January. The one day a week + 1 weekend a month training cycle continues after you are stood back up. There are some discrepancies, sometimes you might not have a weekend training ex on a certain month for example, but it is the exception not the rule

pk80 said:
Thanks for the reply.
So when you were done BMQ, how often did you train during the fall and winter months?
From what I understand, the course following BMQ-L is DP1. Isnt that alson a 4 week course?

Ah yes, I forgot. As infantry you will do BMQ and then go to Infantry DP1 which I believe is also 4 weeks and only offered during the summer.

*sigh* Arcs, people. Stay in them. If you don't know the answer, rest assured there will be someone from the trade in question along shortly.

PRes infantry have to do three courses to get qualified to the basic level in their trade. The first is BMQ which in the army reserves will usually but not always be part time on weekends for about 10-12 weekends depending on little adjustments to schedule. The next course is DP1.1 Infantry, which can be either part time or full time. Total training duration is roughyl four weeks full time equivalent, so if it's done part time on weekends it'll be a similar length. That one focuses mostly on getting trained up on the various weapons we employ. Finally, DP1.2 infantry is a month long full time course where you spend much of the time in the field employing all of the above at the section and platoon level doing various tactical exercises. Once you graduate DP1.2, you're at the Operationally Functional Point for a reserve infanteer and you can participate fully in training at your reserve unit.

My main concern is my availability due to my civilian job. If my availability if about 5-6 weeks per summer and one weekend a month from September to June with every Tuesday night, is it possible for me to be a reservist?

I think your recruiter will be able to describe your options specific to your situation

Back