• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Reserves 2010 - 2017

pk80 said:
My main concern is my availability due to my civilian job. If my availability if about 5-6 weeks per summer and one weekend a month from September to June with every Tuesday night, is it possible for me to be a reservist?

Talk to your unit recruiter about your availability. He (or she) will have current knowledge and experience of what courses are most likely to be conducted by your unit or brigade and how they may fit your availability. While some courses CAN be run on a full or part time schedule, they may only be conducted in one format or the other (i.e., either summer full time or fall/winter part time, but not necessarily both). Once a course is scheduled, there's not a lot of flexibility for individuals. If a course is scheduled to run 2 or 3 weekends per month over four months, and you're only available one weekend per month, then you won't be completing that course. You will need to examine your personal situation with a critical approach, and an understanding of what the commitment will be if you join the unit you are interested in. Don't complete the recruiting process and then discover there's no workable training option.

I got the most updated info when I visited the Reserve unit I wish to join.
They gave me the scoop and no sh1t truth about what will be the toughest part of becoming an officer in the PRES. Time. Availability.
First 3 years, during which you do basic, leadership and trade specific. After that, it's smooth sailing.
SO in your case, it would be getting through the first 2 or 3 years. Like you, I only get a limited amount of vacation. I'm going to have to scrounge and take some unpaid time off, which will be a huge sacrifice for me. But it's necessary. Otherwise, if you can't make the training, don't bother. You'll waste your time and theirs. That's what I was told.

@pk80

I have done all my BMQ, SQ and DP1 in one summer.

1) How long should I expect to be gone for my first summer?

I was gone over 3 months 1 month in Laval, Qc and over 2 in Valcartier, Qc

2) When we train during the fall and winter months, can I go Friday and Saturday and leave sunday if my civilian job requires my presence on that sunday.

I did my training full time, but I have friends who have done it weekends. Try and do it full time it's much easier to get into the routine and easier on the social life. But No don't expect them to let you leave early for a civy job (this is a job as well, you need to understand the commitment)

3) If I do BMQ my first summer, can I wait till the following summer to do BMQ-L, if my civilian job wont give me more then 5 weeks off?

Yes you can do your SQ next summer, but you will still be a recruit for another full year.

4) Do you generaly get weekends off during summer training?

We mostly had out weekends off except on certain occasion, sometimes you'll be on field training, in trouble, catching up on class material, or for some reason they can't let you leave. (remember you are paid 7 days a week when on course, they technically don't need to let you leave)

Hello there

I know I always post in here and I'm sorry if I always bring my bmq related problems but sometimes it's nice to be reassured.

I failed my weapons handling test and I failed the retest and they are sending me the review board. I failed the safety precautions. I'm scared because I don't wanna be kicked out of the Canadian forces. As of this writing I'm panicking. I'm screwing my dreams and I don't know what's gonna happen. I don't wanna be kicked of the cf

What does the summer BMQ reserves course look like? There are about 30 days in the course, what can one expect? There are plenty of videos online about Reg Forces BMQ but that's 14 weeks, I understand this is a condensed version but is the same structure in the course? I heard you are in a tent the whole time? I'm out of Northern Ontario. Is there an obstacle course in Meaford? Are there physical requirements? Push ups, Chin ups? Sit ups? How long will we be running 1st week to 4th week? First post, I just joined the Reserves and swear in this week! 

Simple answer:  Yes.

Yes, you may be in mod tents the entire time, or weather havens, or the barracks.  It all depends on where and when your course is being held and what facilities are available.
Yes, there is a confidence course in Meaford.
Yes, there are physical requirements, there will be physical training through out the course.
Yes, you will be doing push ups, chin ups and sit ups at some point.
Yes, there will be running.  How much, how far, how long, and what intensity is dictated by both your staff, and your actions as a course.
Also the BMQ course structure may change and be flexible based upon a number of factors, including but not limited to: range, facility, and equipment availability etc....

And yes, I do realize that I addressed most of your concerns, but gave you relatively no new information. 

Enjoy your time in Meaford.

Regardless of facilities available, all BMQ's follow a very strict time table that all adhere to.

On BMQ you will learn military law, how to properly adorn a uniform, how to conduct drill, and how to use the C7 service rifle.

There is a small field phase where you will learn the basics of eating a ration, using stove/lanters, an introduction to navigation using a map and compass, and a number of small classes.

The BMQ is an introduction to the military as a whole, it does not encompass other weapon systems or other tactics. The only possibility of being exposed to this is if the course staff is inclined to add professional development training that is not within the training plan and not within the time table or curriculm.

Physical training is progressional, you will run, ruckmarch, and conduct circuit training (most likely bodyweight exercises) They will increase in intensity as the course progresses.

If you are in meaford you will be in weather havens 100%. The only possibility of using the obstable course is if there is a qualified range safety officer teaching on the course (chances are yes) and if your timetable allows such an activity. Obstacle courses are not a mandatory thing that soldiers do on BMQ despite what movies show.

100% you will be doing some sort of push,sit,chin ups

In short, the course focuses on classroom lectures involving theory behind the military and its laws/values, marching and the C7 rifle, with an introduction to operating in a field enviroment (a very VERY brief introduction). That is all

The course is not difficult, but it will come as a culture shock to you, which is normal.

Have fun

I may be coursed at meaford this summer as well.
Have you gotten your course date yet?
I'm either going to be on June 29th or July 13th, but at this point it's looking like it'll be on the July 13th.

I was wondering if anyone here knows the start dates (and maybe even the entire schedule) for the part-time BMQ in Winnipeg this fall. I have a few events in October that I need to schedule for those weekends I am not attending BMQ.

The same goes for the next available BMOQ-L early in 2016.

Thanks.

I was expecting to be at Meaford this summer, but I've been given course dates for my BMQ and BMQ-L for July 20th to Sept 4th at the Fort York Armoury (Full-time).

I didn't know they held it full time at fort york armory.
Anyone else been on the same train?
Anything to expect?

Anyone scheduled on the November 7th 2015 PRes Part-time QMB in Quebec? / Si vous êtes du QMB PRes à temps-partiel à Québec qui commence le 7 Novembre 2015, manifestez-vous!

So I'm scheduled for fall BMQ part time but I don't know when it'll happen because I haven't received an email yet I have 3 questions, do I need my military ID? Do I need to know my (I forgot what it was called) but they give you like a 8 number and a letter code when you first start and tell you to remember it. And also will I be in deep sh*t if we have to stand in attention and I'm sneezing a lot? I have my allergies now and well pills aren't helping completely, and i'm sneezing a lot, crying a lot, eyes are itchy, can't sleep.

Well aren't you just a trip!

Let's start by asking you - reg force? Then, I don't think you were issued an ID card yet (this is called an NDI20) however if by some strange twist of fate you were, you do NOT leave home without it. Your ID will be on you at all times. That funny 8 digit number with a letter is called you SERVICE NUMBER. Yes, memorize it. Assuming you last (what with all your sneezing and such) you will have this number forever. It's like your prison number - it's how we recognize you. And as for your final question - allergies - if you have THAT much of a difficult time and cannot seem to get it under control, I would seriously reconsider what you are about to embark on (get control first). See the doc. Was your medical done yet? Was this brought up?

I did tell them that I had allergies to a plant from mid July to end September, but last year it wasn't so bad as this year. I have tried pretty much every anti allergen pill in the market, I seem to be doing good a week after using it everyday and then a week of just disaster and sneezing and red eyes. My only concern would be now allowing everyone else to get enough sleep at the BMQ and being annoying when we all have to keep quiet while the instructor is talking..

I have heard from new member's that BMQ Land (formerly SQ) has changed from the previous years.
Does anyone have more information on this? Is the course shortened? What has been added or taken out.
Is this just a bad rumour?
Thanks!

Are you asking about the reserve or regular force BMQ(Land) as they are slightly different. Also changed from when as there as been a few changes since the course was first introduced as the SQ.

So, you said:

Thorium said:
So I'm scheduled for fall BMQ part time but I don't know when it'll happen because I haven't received an email yet

You never clarified reg force or reserve. Part time says to me that you will be doing it during weekends?

Regular force BMQ Land, and I heard there have been changes in this past year (or even months).

Thanks!

As far as notable changes, PRes BMQL is now only 12 training days, and the only advanced weapons systems used are C9 and C6. Grenades, LAW/Carl G, have been removed.

However RegF, not sure if there has been much change if any at all.

Looking at the current BMQ(L) TP dated Feb 2013 and last modified March 2015 shows that it is for the regular force 20 training days (not calender days) and you cover the following PO checks on the course:

001 Engage Targets with the 5.56mm LMG
002 Engage Targets with the 7.62mm GPMG in the Light Role
003 Engage Targets with the SRAAW (L)
004 Throw Fragmentation Grenades
005 Communicate with Tactical Communications Equipment
006 Perform Personal and Casualty Extraction from an Explosive Threat Area
007 Execute Offensive Operations
008 Execute Defensive Operations as a Rifleman in a Section
009 Execute Enabling Operations

Back