• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ HELL WEEK??

Recce By Death said:
5 days in the field and they got over 72 hours sleep

Regards

if my math is correct that would mean they got 14 hours of sleep a night? that cant be true

heh.... who said anything about consecutive hours?  :)

geo said:
heh.... who said anything about consecutive hours?  :)

But that would be just down time, and the way RBD makes it sound, they got a lot of sleep.

Edited for typo

Thorvald said:
That's funny, I always though Hell Week was only for the instructors...  It occurs during the first week of BMQ once they realize they have to deal with 50+ ninja/sniper/jtf wannabes for the next couple of weeks  ;D

That could be a good way of finding volunteers to clean up the class room before heading back to the shacks.

*Walks in with official looking documents* "Alright, who here wants to join JTF2"
*sorted amount of hands go up*
"Alright, you guys are going to assault the cleaning duties. Everyone else on the bus."  ;D

And regarding the sleep deprivation, the rifle stock makes a comfy pillow while looking for those commie bushes moving through the night.

career_radio-checker said:
That could be a good way of finding volunteers to clean up the class room before heading back to the shacks.

*Walks in with official looking documents* "Alright, who here wants to join JTF2"
*sorted amount of hands go up*
"Alright, you guys are going to assault the cleaning duties. Everyone else on the bus."  ;D

And regarding the sleep deprivation, the rifle stock makes a comfy pillow while looking for those commie bushes moving through the night.

Ahhhh hahahahahaha, can I use that? 
Joining the CF=$23,000 a year
Being part of something special= $0
Dumb looks on recruits faces=Priceless

:cdn:

NL_engineer said:
But that would be just down time, and the way RBD makes it sound, they got a lot of sleep.

On average they received 7 hours of sleep per night, mind you not all at once. They were also instructed that unless they were being tasked they could go to ground.

When manning the trenches it was mandatory 2 up, one down....again, more sleep. During the recce patrols in the ORV....in between section battle attacks, the list goes on and on.

As a matter of fact the course officer shut them down completely for one night from 2100 until 0600 the following day for the last day. The support staff did fire piquette.

The opportunity to grab sleep was always given, they just never grabbed the chance, even though we as the instructors told them time and again the "tricks of the trade" as it were.

They'd rather screw around and shoot the shyte and play around with their MP3 players and such.

I sat there and added up all the time they could have been sleeping during their exercise and told them at the end how much it was and they were astonished.

Regards

Command-Sense-Act 105 said:
To further that one about finding volunteers, here is a ninjasniper deflation technique coupled with a way to increase challenge:

Give them a bunch of papers, application forms, personal history essay assignment, etc at about 2300hrs at the end of a long garrison day and tell them that those who want to go JTF/CSOR/whatever must have them all filled out, in triplicate, neat and complete, by PT time in the morning and show up for PT with them in hand.  Stress that no one else can see their papers due to the security issues involved with the Unit.  They'll stay up all night filling them in.

In the morning, when they are all standing there with their papers in hand formed up for PT, start them on PT.  Don't collect the papers.  Have the instructor running the PT say that he has nothing to do with them and can't collect them due to security/confidentiality reasons, but they must bring them along because the JTF LO (or whoever) may show up at any time and they don't want to miss their chance.

Conduct PT.  Beast them, preferably a run through some water or muck.  Have the instructor admonish them to keep their papers dry if they care about getting in.

Have them carry the by-now sorry and bedraggled set of papers around all day with them - classes, meals, smoke breaks, extra PT, cleaning stations, etc.  Have someone collect them that evening, then either:

1.  Give the course grief over lack of attention to detail/messy papers, etc and make a show about putting them in a burn barrel and getting rid of them.  Segue this into the "attention to detail" or "do you think you will pass" or "do you think you are special" or "teamwork is needed here because you didn't help your pals keep their CSOR paperwork neat and tidy so bladed your course mates" rants.
2.  Find "special jobs" for the "special people" who handed them in.
3.  All of the above.

Either way, another factor that will induce self-stress and work to separate wheat from chaff.  Completely self-imposed.

You, Sir, are frickin' evil.

I knew there was something I liked about you.

Roy Harding

Roy Harding said:
You, Sir, are frickin' evil.

I knew there was something I liked about you.

Roy Harding
Evil? That plan is pure sadism!

I like it.

I'm adding a large freezer bag to my kit list now, lol.  I can just see some instructor reading this, and using it on his/her next set of victims. >:D

Thorvald said:
That's funny, I always though Hell Week was only for the instructors...  It occurs during the first week of BMQ once they realize they have to deal with 50+ ninja/sniper/jtf wannabes for the next couple of weeks  ;D

I am glad to hear you deal with the same type of fresh recruits as we do, with the failure to realize the work and sheer lack of picked numbers that get to do these things.
If I had a dollar for every kid saying he was a sniper or getting his ranger tab I could go awol retire and never look back  :eek:  Take care Can-Am

There is no real hell week, the first week may seem like it due to the extreme change in lifestyle..if anything was like a hell week, it was my final week in the feild where in the four nights we were there we got max 2 hours of sleep total. I have talked with others on different platoons though and that experience can be different. I know some coarse that would get 5 hours a night. It is only as hard as you want to make it.

Hell week ? no there was no hell week in BMQ.  Physical and mental stress... lots of that...  getting into the swing of things... happened eventually.

Most of the stress and hardship turns out to be self inflicted ( The first PT test I was so stresed it took me 15 minutes to get my back loosenedup to do sit up.  By the time we got common room privileges (TV in week 3) I still couldn't sit down more than 10 minuted before getting up and going to clean the walls of our section room in T-100).  I know now that others got through doing a lot less, but thats just not my thing.

I think that the "Hell Week" aspect was coming to accept the fact that I had given up my week of spring skiing at Sunshine before going to Edmonton for 4 days of boozing and schmoozing at a ski patrol conference to go play with the Sigs at  CFB Shilo.  :rofl:

so i heard the first week we have the physical training test? true or no? forget who i heard it from

and is bmq 13 weeks as apposed to my 11 weeks the last time i went?

Sixshooter said:
so i heard the first week we have the physical training test? true or no? forget who i heard it from

Yes its true......

There is definitly no hell week in St Jean, what there is however is constant stress and pressure to get taskings done and kit prepared and drill and classes and more drill and weapons classes and more drill and pt and pt and pt and more drill, then you get to go out in the field where you will practice a lot of the things that you were taught. Usually the field entails taskings and missions. The instructors are mandated by the CO of the school to allow minimum sleep time, we are also allowed to make you miss a meal or two. Usually that works in conjunction with topo. We go out place rations and water in various spots around Farnham give you a 6 fig grid and send you off. If you find your food and water, you eat. If you don't find it you don't eat. It takes a toll on people who are used to having mommy and daddy bring them all their meals and having lots to eat all  the time. Slaps the living hell out of the real hardass wannabe's. However the whole idea for BMQ is to have a valid point to anything we get recruits or officer candidatess to do. We don't usually beast a platoon just for shits and giggles. If they screw up they get beasted, if they screw up on a regualr basis, they usually get the Mcpl/MS power hour. The whole idea is to give you basic military skills so that you can carry on with the next level of training. We work hard to weed out the junk, but are not always 100% successful. We do our best and that is what we expect of trainees.
My 2 cents worth
Feet :cdn:

nicely explained, and id agree (even if my last bmq visit was 5 weeks which was out of my reach, i could already see what you said taken into practice).. this time around i plan to stay to see it all taken into practice. im up for it.

Back