• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMOQ Regular Force 2014 - 2017 [Merged]

Dingodan said:
I am having troubles deciding if I want to leave that all behind to pursue my dream as a pilot in the CF.
You have the answer right there - it's either the bit in yellow (say "declined with thanks" and carry on with what you're happy with), or the bit in orange (go and become a pilot).

Also keep in mind that considering how hard-to-get the pilot slots are, taking one and eventually not being happy and dropping out (that bit in yellow again) isn't fair to the person who could've gone instead.

There's no right or wrong answer, just pick the yellow and stay or the orange and go ....

Sounds more like a choice between the blue pill and the red pill. I've wanted to join the military for a long time now and am excited to start my journey.

pd89 said:
I became aware that it really is an office job, and that much of my time would involve engaging in essentially redundant tasks.

In fairness, there is a significant amount of "office" work in an officer's career but every Officer's career path is going to look different then the next - both inside a occupation and between occupations.  Members are moved to different positions every 2-3 years (usually).  Sometimes the "positions" look very similar to a corporate "office job".  Other times you lead others in warfighting operations.  You'll get both at various times, especially if you are interested (and capable) in both.

Not that you can't find challenging and rewarding jobs in the civilian world - but there is no other job quite like this one.

Dingodan said:
I have been offered a position as a pilot, flying out January 17th, and swearing in January 13th.

However, I am still not positive if I will accept the position.

I was wondering what everyone's background is.  Maybe it can put my mind at ease.

I currently have a permanent full time management job (8-5), with great pay and benefits (more than pilot starting salary).

I am 24 years old.  I own a house and live with my girlfriend (common law), and have a dog.  All of my family is in the city I grew up in. I am having troubles deciding if I want to leave that all behind to pursue my dream as a pilot in the CF.

Today at lunch I was contemplating if I should join the forces when I took my dog outside when two military jets (Hawks) flew directly overhead.  I'm thinking that may have been a sign!

Is anyone in a similar situation?  I would love to hear your story!  Perhaps our partners could use each other as a support network.

Let me know!

I would suggest not joining. You have written about asking advice in trying to make a personal choice, I wonder if you'd be capable of making that split second decision that would keep you moving forward while maintaining lift, or falling, dramatically, to earth encased in a large container made of aluminum. During an emergency is not the time to find out.

Let someone else, who has no doubts and wants it bad, have the spot.

Good evening everyone,

I am starting BMOQ on the 19th as a nursing officer, I have been a nurse for three years both on a peadiatric floor and in intensive care unit. My pay at the moment is good and higher than what I will be making starting as a nursing officer. I know that the officer position includes office work but also teaching, improving current medicale practice, various opportunity of training and work placement and a larger field of practice. I know I would never be able to work in a civilian hospital all my life since I am always looking for new challenges, which the Canadian Forces provide. I also have a husband at home who supports me whatever decision I will make. There is positive and negative in all jobs, but if being a pilot in the CAF is your dream and you decline the offer, I hope for you that you won't look back 10 years from now and regret your decision.

See you soon , or not  :)

Ayrsayle said:
In fairness, there is a significant amount of "office" work in an officer's career but every Officer's career path is going to look different then the next - both inside a occupation and between occupations.  Members are moved to different positions every 2-3 years (usually).  Sometimes the "positions" look very similar to a corporate "office job".  Other times you lead others in warfighting operations.  You'll get both at various times, especially if you are interested (and capable) in both.

Not that you can't find challenging and rewarding jobs in the civilian world - but there is no other job quite like this one.

It would be completely ridiculous for me to debate a career in the CF with you, seeing as you are a captain and I am on the outside looking in. But you said that one will get both office and warfighting roles. From my understanding, while likely, there is no guarantee one will get both. This was a tough choice to make for me. I will likely miss out on things very few people will ever do and/or experience. But I got a position where everyday I go to work, get paid well, and feel good about it at the end of the day. If I accepted a job with the CF and ended up doing office work I did not enjoy for a large portion of my lifetime, I wouldnt forgive myself. Dingodan was looking for insight from people in a similar situation, which I consider myself to be in. Yes you can do all sorts of amazing things in the CF, but at the end of the day, they will put you where they put you, and you will do what you are asked to do. After getting a good civilian job, i could no longer accept this as part of a commitment to the CF. I think Dingodan should ask himself something similar, considering his circumstances.

pd89 said:
It would be completely ridiculous for me to debate a career in the CF with you, .............. I am on the outside looking in.

That about says it.  The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) is completely outside of your scope.  Even what you may call an "office job" in the Canadian Armed Forces may not in anyway resemble what one would think of as an "office job" anywhere else.  I am sure it would be best if you can talk to those who are in Trades that would most closely resemble an "office job" and ask them about how they feel about working out of a tent in the woods, High Arctic, or in some strange foreign land and have them describe their "office jobs".  Some times an "office" in the CAF could be on the bridge of a ship, in the turret of a tank, or in some aircraft flying over the ocean.  Giving advice on "office jobs in the CAF" to someone who is not familiar with what the CAF do, by someone who is also on the outside looking in, is indeed ridiculous. 

All members of the CAF will at sometime work in an "office environment".  They will often be on courses, as students, instructors, or staff.  All members will, as they progress through the ranks, have to develop administration skills to go along with their leadership skills and increased responsibilities.  That will require "office work", which may have to be done anywhere. 

George Wallace said:
That about says it.  The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) is completely outside of your scope.  Even what you may call an "office job" in the Canadian Armed Forces may not in anyway resemble what one would think of as an "office job" anywhere else.  I am sure it would be best if you can talk to those who are in Trades that would most closely resemble an "office job" and ask them about how they feel about working out of a tent in the woods, High Arctic, or in some strange foreign land and have them describe their "office jobs".  Some times an "office" in the CAF could be on the bridge of a ship, in the turret of a tank, or in some aircraft flying over the ocean.  Giving advice on "office jobs in the CAF" to someone who is not familiar with what the CAF do, by someone who is also on the outside looking in, is indeed ridiculous. 

All members of the CAF will at sometime work in an "office environment".  They will often be on courses, as students, instructors, or staff.  All members will, as they progress through the ranks, have to develop administration skills to go along with their leadership skills and increased responsibilities.  That will require "office work", which may have to be done anywhere.

My intention was not to give advice on " Office jobs in the CAF." My intention was to address a member of this forum who asked if there was anyone in a similar situation as he (which I am), and whether or not someone in a similar situation would be willing to share their story (which I did).

My personal concern was office/administrative/managerial work. Dingodan's is not. I had to ask myself questions about the type of work I would be doing. When I said "I think Dingodan should ask himself something similar, considering his circumstances" I did not mean with regards to office work. I meant with regards to the issues he needs to address to decide whether to accept or reject his offer (which, in his circumstance, seems to be family, career, geographic location, personal aspirations, dreams, etc.). If that was unclear, my mistake.

My concern was not that I would spend a significant amount of time working in an "office environment." My concern was with the type and the nature of the work that I would be doing. My core issue was that as an AEC officer, my job would be heavily computer/pen and paper focused. I like working with my hands (I dont consider working at a computer or working with a pen to be working with my hands), and for me, it was not worth the risk to turn down the job I have now for one where I may potentially spend a significant amount of time doing deskwork that, while extremely unique, I do not know if I would enjoy.

I have had the opportunity to speak to several members of the CF who work in trades that would most closely resemble "office jobs." Obviously talking to someone about it is not the same as doing it myself as a career, but they are people I trust, and it does aid in providing good insight into what I could anticipate as a career in the CF.

pd89 said:
It would be completely ridiculous for me to debate a career in the CF with you, seeing as you are a captain and I am on the outside looking in. But you said that one will get both office and warfighting roles. From my understanding, while likely, there is no guarantee one will get both. This was a tough choice to make for me. I will likely miss out on things very few people will ever do and/or experience. But I got a position where everyday I go to work, get paid well, and feel good about it at the end of the day. If I accepted a job with the CF and ended up doing office work I did not enjoy for a large portion of my lifetime, I wouldn't forgive myself. Dingodan was looking for insight from people in a similar situation, which I consider myself to be in. Yes you can do all sorts of amazing things in the CF, but at the end of the day, they will put you where put you, and you will do what you are asked to do. After getting a good civilian job, i could no longer accept this as part of a commitment to the CF. I think Dingodan should ask himself something similar, considering his circumstances.

George pretty much hit on all the points I would have said, but I'll elaborate on my initial points -

There are many things working in the military (may) cause you to give up - The forums are filled with examples of where the line is between the military/civilian professions.  There are also unique opportunities and a very different form of service to your country as well.  I've worked on both sides and both have their merits - but after the time I've spent in I have no regrets with the choices.  Everyone's mileage may vary with that one.

Ultimately yes, if the system wants to move you the system will - but I've never felt it to be an entirely one-way conversation.  The military usually seeks to keep you happy with your postings, etc - unless there is another reason why they can't (or won't).  We joke the Career managers essentially have to make three people happy - in my case it is the Regiment, Ottawa, and you (which includes your family) - If they can get two out of the three happy they consider it a job well done.

I've spent time sitting in an office making sure paperwork was completed so soldiers could go on courses and take care of their families.  I've also written orders while under a tarp all night for an simulated attack the next day.  I've spent nights at home working on the Junior Officer development program (which all of you will get very familiar with), but I've also been encouraged to take a week and play Unit organized sports.  This career is not an "office" job - though you do spend time in an office (shrugs).  If you want to be a leader (Officer or NCM), part of that is taking care of those you are responsible for - some of that is paperwork.

But again, the military doesn't have a monopoly on "meaningful employment" - nor is it a good fit for everyone.  Do as much research and ask as many questions as you can to make an informed decision. I will say that if you are going to jump in the pool, be ready to swim to the other side, not just grab the edge and climb out.  There are lots of people ready to make the attempt behind you.

pd89 said:
My concern was not that I would spend a significant amount of time working in an "office environment." My concern was with the type and the nature of the work that I would be doing. My core issue was that as an AEC officer, my job would be heavily computer/pen and paper focused. I like working with my hands (I dont consider working at a computer or working with a pen to be working with my hands), and for me, it was not worth the risk to turn down the job I have now for one where I may potentially spend a significant amount of time doing deskwork that, while extremely unique, I do not know if I would enjoy.

To begin with, my intention is not to insult you in any way. 

It is difficult to explain to someone outside the CAF what exactly the job is, no matter what the Trade.  One thing to remember, as a member of the CAF and one who intends to progress up the ladder you will be expected to show responsibility and leadership skills which will entail administration at various levels in that process.  You have to evaluate what you want in life, be it in the military or as a civilian, and if you are happy being a minion so be it.  If you do want to progress up the ladder in any occupation, you will have to eventually do "office work".  One of the best resources to learning those skills is the military, and the better a leader you can become in the military, the better chance you have to be so outside the military. 

The portion of your quote above indicates to me that you were not following your heart in the first place.  You did not follow the advice so often given on this very site, not to apply for a job in the CAF that you did not want, just to get in.  If you do not want to work on computers, etc., in an office environment; do not apply for that Trade in the CAF to begin with.  So many posters to this site, seem to want to start their careers at the top, so don't be so egotistical to think that applying to become an officer is the only route to take. 

I might add that depending on how much of a "non-office" type of person you are, the CAF will provide you a very wide range of 'outdoor' experiences, across Canada and around the world.  Army careers will have more to offer for those who prefer to be 'grounded', while the Navy offers the high seas. 

In the end, I would find a civilian job more monotonous than a career in the military.  The variety of experiences I had in the military, I would never have gotten outside of the military and I was paid to do them, not paying to do them.  Anyone who is following this and trying to decide whether or not to join the CAF, has to figure out what kind of person they are.  Do they want to stay close to their home town and work in a repetitive job, or do they want to venture out and see some of the world in a career that can change their circumstances in an instant.  The CAF is not for everyone, and many do not remain after their first or second Engagement, but they will leave with 'life skills' that they would never have gained had they not joined, which may benefit them in their new careers.  That in itself is a positive. -- All applicants must look at themselves and make up their minds what kind of person they are and what they want in life.  Don't come back when you are 40 or 50 and say that you always dreamed of being in the military.  Time will have taken its toll on you by then.  It may be too late for you then.

George Wallace said:
To begin with, my intention is not to insult you in any way. 

It is difficult to explain to someone outside the CAF what exactly the job is, no matter what the Trade.  One thing to remember, as a member of the CAF and one who intends to progress up the ladder you will be expected to show responsibility and leadership skills which will entail administration at various levels in that process.  You have to evaluate what you want in life, be it in the military or as a civilian, and if you are happy being a minion so be it.  If you do want to progress up the ladder in any occupation, you will have to eventually do "office work".  One of the best resources to learning those skills is the military, and the better a leader you can become in the military, the better chance you have to be so outside the military. 

The portion of your quote above indicates to me that you were not following your heart in the first place.  You did not follow the advice so often given on this very site, not to apply for a job in the CAF that you did not want, just to get in.  If you do not want to work on computers, etc., in an office environment; do not apply for that Trade in the CAF to begin with.  So many posters to this site, seem to want to start their careers at the top, so don't be so egotistical to think that applying to become an officer is the only route to take. 

I might add that depending on how much of a "non-office" type of person you are, the CAF will provide you a very wide range of 'outdoor' experiences, across Canada and around the world.  Army careers will have more to offer for those who prefer to be 'grounded', while the Navy offers the high seas. 

In the end, I would find a civilian job more monotonous than a career in the military.  The variety of experiences I had in the military, I would never have gotten outside of the military and I was paid to do them, not paying to do them.  Anyone who is following this and trying to decide whether or not to join the CAF, has to figure out what kind of person they are.  Do they want to stay close to their home town and work in a repetitive job, or do they want to venture out and see some of the world in a career that can change their circumstances in an instant.  The CAF is not for everyone, and many do not remain after their first or second Engagement, but they will leave with 'life skills' that they would never have gained had they not joined, which may benefit them in their new careers.  That in itself is a positive. -- All applicants must look at themselves and make up their minds what kind of person they are and what they want in life.  Don't come back when you are 40 or 50 and say that you always dreamed of being in the military.  Time will have taken its toll on you by then.  It may be too late for you then.

:goodpost:

Dingodan said:
I have been offered a position as a pilot, flying out January 17th, and swearing in January 13th.

I was wondering what everyone's background is.  Maybe it can put my mind at ease.

I currently have a permanent full time management job (8-5), with great pay and benefits (more than pilot starting salary).

I am 24 years old.  I own a house and live with my girlfriend (common law), and have a dog.  All of my family is in the city I grew up in. I am having troubles deciding if I want to leave that all behind to pursue my dream as a pilot in the CF.

Today at lunch I was contemplating if I should join the forces when I took my dog outside when two military jets (Hawks) flew directly overhead.  I'm thinking that may have been a sign!

Is anyone in a similar situation?  I would love to hear your story!  Perhaps our partners could use each other as a support network.

Let me know!

You do not want this enough to succeed.

Dingodan said:

Let me know!

So did you end up accepeting the postion in the end?

drbones said:
It looks like L0050E and L0050F are combined into the same platoon 21. The more, the merrier  :subbies:.

FYI, on CFLRS website, the L0050 platoon was changed from E to B. Therefore, it will be a bilingual platoon. See you tomorrow everybody!  :nod:

Just got my CT offer today for pilot. I will be there starting March 4th for Phase 2 of BMOQ!

krimynal said:
when did you apply for the CT ??

I applied Nov. 2013. Certainly took a while, but from what I hear this was by no means slow in comparison to some CTs.

I applied by end of September .... and I still haven't got ANY news as of yet ... other than the 1 email about not contacting them ..... Didn't speak to my broker / didn't see anyone for interviews or anything

krimynal said:
I applied by end of September .... and I still haven't got ANY news as of yet ... other than the 1 email about not contacting them ..... Didn't speak to my broker / didn't see anyone for interviews or anything

End of September of this past year? I never heard back the first 6 or so months... I was advised to keep pestering them and annoying them so much that they're essentially forced to reply. Call, email, whatever it takes.

Hello everyone,

I have just CT'ed to Pilot, after being a reservist in the Artillery for 7 years and was informed that I will be starting the second part of BMOQ at the beginning of March. I have gone over the joining instructions and have also asked around for more information, but I still have a few questions that I hope someone can shed some light on.

1. What exactly happens to my issued kit? I was told by one source that I essentially keep all of my army issued kit, and get additional Air Force kit in St Jean, while somebody else told me that I will have to hand in all of the army kit once I arrive in St Jean, and then sign out the kit required for BMOQ.

2. How difficult is it for someone to join a BMOQ course halfway? The more I think about it, the more I worry, given that the candidates have had 8 weeks already to set the standard for inspections, etc.

Back