• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMNQ 2013-Current: Naval Reserve

Eric16 said:
I applied to the reserves and I have been told bmq will be in Quebec next summer (not in Saint Jean) what are the differences between the reserve bmq and the regular one?
Bearing in mind that you seem to be talking about NAVRES BMQ (not CA Res): the course is actually called BMNQ and it combines the training syllabuses for two separate Reg F courses into a single course (in the Reg F the courses are BMQ and NETP). The QSP (training deliverables) for BMQ/NETP are the same as for BMNQ, but the delivery time is condensed by delivering more instructional periods per week (longer days and parts of the weekends) and shifting some of the instruction into unit-based distance learning and distance training phases.

Eric16 said:
what are the differences between the reserve bmq and the regular one?

For reference, perhaps,

Is the reserve bmq different from the regular force one

will be merged with,

Reserve BMQ vs Reg Force BMQ 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/114293.0

Reserve BMQ compared to Regular force BMQ 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/97693.0

As a Naval Reservist, see also,

Naval Reserve BMQ 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/109833.0

A Guide to BMNQ (Basic Military Naval Qualification)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/114955.0

Navy Reserve BMNQ 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/122603.0

(NAVRES) BMNQ
https://army.ca/forums/threads/122603.0

BMNQ
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+navres+bmq&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=7BnpV5CsJKOC8QeklYzIDA&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+bmnq

hamiltongs said:
Bearing in mind that you seem to be talking about NAVRES BMQ (not CA Res): the course is actually called BMNQ and it combines the training syllabuses for two separate Reg F courses into a single course (in the Reg F the courses are BMQ and NETP). The QSP (training deliverables) for BMQ/NETP are the same as for BMNQ, but the delivery time is condensed by delivering more instructional periods per week (longer days and parts of the weekends) and shifting some of the instruction into unit-based distance learning and distance training phases.

What is Pre course DL training at NRDS

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    285.5 KB · Views: 759
Eric16,

It's great that you are interested in knowing more about your training. The military uses a lot of acronyms and it best to learn to search for answers or ask questions early. 

- The pre-BMNQ DL (Distance Learning) training at your home unit, one of our NRDs (Naval Reserve Divisions).

- As hamiltongs mentioned in reply # 1, the pre-course DL material are subjects you are required to pass at your home unit
in order to be loaded onto your BMNQ next summer. The need for the DL training is to be able to fit both courses he mentioned into the summer training schedule.

kratz said:
Eric16,

It's great that you are interested in knowing more about your training. The military uses a lot of acronyms and it best to learn to search for answers or ask questions early. 

- The pre-BMNQ DL (Distance Learning) training at your home unit, one of our NRDs (Naval Reserve Divisions).

- As hamiltongs mentioned in reply # 1, the pre-course DL material are subjects you are required to pass at your home unit
in order to be loaded onto your BMNQ next summer. The need for the DL training is to be able to fit both courses he mentioned into the summer training schedule

Hi, thank you for the answer, I wasn't told by the recruiting center (hmcs discovery) to complete this pre course. What do I need to do in this pre course before I go to Quebec for basic

My first answer is to stop posting here, go to your NRD and attend training.

Instead, if you will allow me to hold your hand...
despite the fact that hamiltongs and mariomike already posted
answers to your question:

The DL includes such topics (example):
- Rank recognition
- Uniform standards (not issued at the NRD)
- OH&S standards
- First Aid

The list is not exact and due to the change to meet the needs of the RCN.
This is an example of what you will be expected to do when you start off.

You will need to pass your DL before being allowed to attend BMNQ.
Don't sweat the small stuff, do your work and you will move along to the next stage.

Eric16 said:
Hi, thank you for the answer, I wasn't told by the recruiting center (hmcs discovery) to complete this pre course. What do I need to do in this pre course before I go to Quebec for basic

The DL takes place AT YOUR UNIT, after you've enrolled. So you need to talk to your unit (HMCS DISCOVERY), finish your application, get enrolled, and then they will take care of you. They know they need to get you ready for BMNQ next summer, so their Training Department will have a training plan in place to get your DL completed in time. Don't sweat it.

Hey guys,

I've just applied in the RCN for reserve - Logistic officer.

I have a job where I am committed every year till mid-july. Other than that, I am pretty flexible. After July 15th, I am fully available till the beginning of september.

While I can do the summer training on may-june-july the first year, I might no be available to skip work before July 15th the next few years - do you see that as a problem ?

thanks for your answers!

Well...

Your first summer will most likely consist of basic training. Given that you're free the first year, that should pose no problem.

Your second and third summers will be taken up with two months (or more) of training each year, usually spanning June and July.

If you can't be free for June and July, you're going to be limited on your ability to take training.

Hey,

I'm in the process of applying in the Navy Reserve for a NCM trade. The recruiter told me BMQ would be 3 weeks in the summer in Valcartier. I am a bit confused, from what I'm reading on the forum, it seems BMQ is usually 12 weeks ?

Thanks for your help!

unmaxdemax said:
Hey,

I'm in the process of applying in the Navy Reserve for a NCM trade. The recruiter told me BMQ would be 3 weeks in the summer in Valcartier. I am a bit confused, from what I'm reading on the forum, it seems BMQ is usually 12 weeks ?

Thanks for your help!
The delivery format of NAVRES BMNQ is being changed this year. While the course consists of the same syllabus as before, it will be delivered in three phases: phases one and three will be delivered at the units as DL/DT, and phase two (the field and firefighting/damage control bits) will be done over three weeks at Valcartier. The massive upsurge in recruitment this year has made this necessary due to limited space at the training facilities.

Thanks for your reply ! May I ask what DL/DT mean ? Also, do you think it is a permanent change or just a temporary change ?

I'm taking my CFAT in two weeks. If i pass, I guess it will be too late for this summer's BMQ and will have to wait another year.

unmaxdemax said:
Thanks for your reply ! May I ask what DL/DT mean ? Also, do you think it is a permanent change or just a temporary change ?

I'm taking my CFAT in two weeks. If i pass, I guess it will be too late for this summer's BMQ and will have to wait another year.

This is the permanent way of conducting basic from now on and still equivalent to whats the regular force gets. 

unmaxdemax said:
Thank you ! 3 week, that's quick. What does DT/DL mean ?

DL- Distance learning on a computer on the internet.

DT- Directed training in unit with instructors.

Perhaps this is something we should look at for Army PRes BMQ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, i am new to this. If i understand well, for a Navy reservist, there are 3 training phases:
- phase 1 : basic military qualification - Navy
- phase 2 : bmqL
- phase 3 : occupational training

Only phase 2 would be trained in Valcartier. Phase 1 and phase 3 on base. Does that mean you have to go away for only one summer?

I thought that originally it would take 3 summers to be trained. Also, phase 2 only takes 3 weeks? If i am enrolled in june, does it mean i would have to wait till next summer for phase 2? The unit i've applied to has a parade night once a week plus training one saturday a month. Does not seem that much to complete all phases.

unmaxdemax said:
Sorry, i am new to this. If i understand well, for a Navy reservist, there are 3 training phases:
- phase 1 : BMNQ - Required DL / DT pre-base training at your NRD.
- phase 2 : BMNQ training - on base, in Valcartier.
- phase 3 : BMNQ - Required DL / DT post-base training at your NRD.
You only graduate BMNQ after successfully completing all three phases. Normally, in one summer.

Based on the Op's comments....He needs to engage his NRD CoC and the Canadian Forces Liaison Council (CFLC). I have seen employers successfully accommodate sailors due to the ability of all stakeholders willing to work together on leave / training, pay issues.

unmaxdemax said:
I've just applied in the RCN for reserve - Logistic officer.

If it makes any difference to the discussion,

unmaxdemax said:
I'm in the process of applying in the Navy Reserve for a NCM trade.

Back