• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Birth Certificates and Citizenship (Merged)

ModlrMike said:
If you're really concerned about having no "legal" last name, most provinces have a name change regulation that should allow you to call yourself what ever you want (within reason).

I'll just end up calling my file manager tomorrow and clarifying everything I think. I assume the last name I have now is my legal last name. I've also managed to get through life up until this point (going through school, jobs, med school, etc...) with that same last name and that same birth certificate. I just had no idea until two days ago that I was born without a last name. It just kind of shocked me.

If you can, pick a really great last name like awesome or slaughter.

Haha. I have a legal last name! I just wasn't born with one. I got assigned one when I came here as a baby (or rather, my family got to pick one).

In case anyone was interested in the outcome, or if anyone has a similar situation, I talked to my file manager today. She said that all I have to do is type out a declaration that states why my legal name in Canada is different from the name on my birth certificate (ie that there is no such thing as a surname in my country of origin, and that we were told to choose a last name by immigration officials at the airport in 89'). She also advised me to just bring extra legal identification (passport and citizenship certificate).

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Hey, I have a question about the application procedure for Background check.
I have been in Canada for 10 years, I am getting my Citizenship hopefully in a few months now.
I read on forces.ca in the section reason for delays, missing documents- Birth certificate, Transcripts, etc.

I don't have an Birth certificate from my country as we came to Canada as refugees claimants,
we don't have passport or citizenship paper from this country.
Once I get my Canadian Citizenship, will my citizenship certificate be good for this?
any help much appreciated.  :cdn:

NFontario20 said:
Hey, I have a question about the application procedure for Background check.
I have been in Canada for 10 years, I am getting my Citizenship hopefully in a few months now.
I read on forces.ca in the section reason for delays, missing documents- Birth certificate, Transcripts, etc.

I don't have an Birth certificate from my country as we came to Canada as refugees claimants,
we don't have passport or citizenship paper from this country.
Once I get my Canadian Citizenship, will my citizenship certificate be good for this?
any help much appreciated.  :cdn:

Welcome to army.ca

This is the correct forum to ask a CAF Recruiter questions after you have read this thread:  READ FIRST

It is also the weekend, so do not expect a Recruiter to have given up their weekend as well.

Now!  As you have found this "Unofficial site, not associated with DND." site; perhaps you could use your GOOGLEFU a little and search for the threads that cover every detail of the questions you just asked here, which have all the answers, repeated several times for those who did not listen/search/understand what was posted.

Thank you,

and yes I did use google for this, I found that when u arrive for bmq or RMC you have to bring documents
in one of those says:

2. ALOY candidates will require the following:

Birth Certificate. Please bring it and give it to your training staff on the first training day. Please bring your Certificate of Canadian Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization if you were born outside Canada;

I just hope this doesn't delay or make me inadmissable for the military.
I have been very motivated to join, I have my citizenship process almost done and oath ceremony just around the corner.
than finally will be a Canadian, and will apply right away for military.

In the absence of a non-Canadian Birth Certificate, your Recruiting Detachment may be able to accept your Citizenship documents.

So i just found out i need to bring my birth certificate with my to St Jean when i start BMQ this saturday and i lost it. I am currently in the process of getting a new one but using the fastest processing and shipping it's going to take ~5 business days, which is cutting it very close. What would happen if i don't get it in time?

Contact your recruiting center. I know they took copies of everything when I brought in my documentation and you can check and see if you at least have a copy on file. They would also likely know the best course of action to take regarding not having an original.

You're not the first guy to have ever lost an important document and you won't be the last.  They will deal with it.  If you've ordered a new one that's good, just make sure it gets sent to you at BMQ as soon as possible.  Getting a copy from the Recruiting Centre is a good idea.

Don't worry.  No one is going to cancel your birth!

Hello,
I am going to start my application with the Canadian Armed Forces soon.
I have done lots of research on forces.ca
upon doing research i read that when you do your aptitude test you have to submit your birth certificate.
I don't have a birth certificate, me and my family came to Canada from Iraq, and were accepted as refugees.
I am Canadian Citizen, and also on my passport it does state my place of birth.
Will my application not be accepted because of this missing document?
What are my next steps?

AssyrianCanadian said:
Hello,
I am going to start my application with the Canadian Armed Forces soon.
I have done lots of research on forces.ca
upon doing research i read that when you do your aptitude test you have to submit your birth certificate.
I don't have a birth certificate, me and my family came to Canada from Iraq, and were accepted as refugees.
I am Canadian Citizen, and also on my passport it does state my place of birth.
Will my application not be accepted because of this missing document?
What are my next steps?

I'd suggest you contact your local CFRC and ask them exactly what you have asked above.  Identification requirements can and do vary from Province to Province.

Good luck!

Asked and answered in Ask a CAF Recruiter. Adding for Reference,

Application - Birth certificate 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/123392/post-1441939/topicseen.html#new

Q: Will my application not be accepted because of this missing document?

See also,

Birth certificate - citizenship 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/122009.0

birth certificate 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/82132.0

What happens if you don't show up at St Jean with your birth certificate?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/122316.0

I sort of somehow lost my birth certificate
http://army.ca/forums/threads/113065.0/nowap.html

Weird and unique situation regarding my birth certificate
http://army.ca/forums/threads/114875.0

Language on Birth Certificate 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/17749.0

etc...

I'm getting some documents ready before basic.

The site states that I require a birth certificate.

I was born out of Canada and I have my certificate of citizenship. Is the certificate enough? Or do I need to visit the consulate to request for my birth certificate?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Attie3 said:

I was born out of Canada and I have my certificate of citizenship. Is the certificate enough? Or do I need to visit the consulate to request for my birth certificate?

Kit list for basic training

•Birth Certificate and Certificate of Canadian Citizenship  or Certificate of Naturalization if you were born outside Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/benefits-military/education-training/basic-training/kit-list.html

Date modified: 2019-08-21

Attie3 said:

Thanks!

For clarification, you've already completed the application process and you're waiting to head to basic, correct? If so, bring a copy of the document you would've needed when you applied. (Do not bring the original.) If all you needed was proof of Canadian citizenship before, that's all you should need now. Keep everything in a folder and keep it in an area of your suitcase where it will be somewhat protected and undisturbed. (I brought all my documents with me also, but never needed them at any point. However, it was still useful having copies in good condition at different points afterwards.)

Wow I feel stupid..lol thanks for the clarification!

Back