• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Birth Certificates and Citizenship (Merged)

Ok, I will be sending out an application for a new birth certificate and calling my school up to see how it works.

Thanks a lot to everyone who answered my questions :)

(I will probably have a lot more questions eventually)

shadesofgreen said:
Ok, I will be sending out an application for a new birth certificate and calling my school up to see how it works.

Thanks a lot to everyone who answered my questions :)

(I will probably have a lot more questions eventually)

Just ensure you search your questions using the search feature or google first. I learned that most of the questions you have, thousands have asked before. Just proper forum etiquette. Especially to those that have already answered the questions hundreds if not thousands of times.

I recently filled out the CFOA for PT reserve forces in Kelowna, BC.

I am wondering what the next step Is to take with my application in order for it to be processed, and how to get ahold of my local recruiter, as I have called with no response on there end.

Thanks again,

Personally, after I filled in my application online and sent it, they sent me back an e-mail a few days later (saying to call them to get an appointment for the CFAT, before you had to fax in all your papers like birth cirtificate after you sent your application but now, at least in my case, you had to bring the papers at your CFAT appointment). If I were you I would wait a week or two to see if you hear from them (I've heard of people being contacted only a couple weeks after their aplication was sent, sometimes more or sometimes not at all if you don't meet the requirements obviously). Try calling again if you don't seem to get any response, it is still kind of the Holiday time, maybe try calling after new years if you want to.

For sure! Training is probably off for Christmas break. Will call in the new year. Anything I should do in the meantime? Or I guess this is the waiting game now.

Yeah, lots of waiting for sure. If where you I woud make sure you have all your paperwork (What I was asked to bring: birth certificate, original school transcript, degrees, recent report cards and the papers that they will send for you to fill in after they contact you). I'm just saying that cause maybe you don't have your school transcript or something and need to call up you school to get it or something and if that is the case you might wanna do it now. I know that when they called me told be my CFAT date and it was only about 2 weeks later (It can take longer obviously) and I had a hard time finding some of the stuff (including my birth certificate) and only got it last minute. You are gonna need to give them a few references too on one of the papers they will give you (people they can call up to ask questions about you and make sure you are trust worthy and alll). They can be either professional, academic or personal (like neighbor or family friend or something) and they can't be related to you. I had to give 4 references but it depends I guess. You might wanna start thinking about who you could use.

Also, I guess you are pretty early in your process (it technically didn't even start yet since you didn't get your respond yet) but if you want you can start trying to get in shape now, depending on your current shape you might need a long time to get in the best shape possible.

All this might be a little early to say since you have not been contacted yet but I know that in your position I wanted to know what to expect and all.

Also, I'm going in Regular forces, not reserve so things might be a little different.

Your next step will be to send your supporting documents (Photo copy of birth cert, transcripts, and parental consent form if you're under 18) to North Bay, Ontario. That information will then be sent to the reserve unit you are applying for. The unit will then contact you and tell you where to go from there.

You need to contact a Reserve Force Unit in your local area to see if hey are hiring.

http://www.forces.ca/en/centres/findarecruiter-110

There is NO requirement to send any documentation for a Reserve Force application.

Without the support of a local Reserve Force Unit, your local CFRC will not do anything with your application.

I will have to find out what night they parade and talk to a recruiter there.

Hi guys,

I did a search and didn't come up with anything on here, so I thought I would join and ask the question.

I original applied to the forces online in November of 2011, and about two weeks ago I received an email saying my application had been selected for further processing.

I contacted my local recruiting office, and left a message with the aptitude booking section, and haven't heard back in over a week.

Now, I understand this process isn't a quick one, and there will be delays at every step, but just to set my mind at ease, is this normal? To have a delay just to book my aptitude testing?

Thanks for anyone taking the time to read and reply, I'm fairly excites for this opportunity. Time to start getting in shape!

-Joe

You should have started to get in shape back in 2011 when you put in the application, it doesn't' happen overnight.

That being said, if I were you I would continue to call the CFRC until someone pick's up, I was in the same boat, and just kept calling every few hour's, and eventually got threw and was my CFAT was booked instantly.

JoeDLFowler said:
Now, I understand this process isn't a quick one, and there will be delays at every step, but just to set my mind at ease, is this normal? To have a delay just to book my aptitude testing?

Yes, there will more than likely be delays at every step. Test booking is one of those steps...and everything afterwards that needs to be done from now until swearing in is a step. Expect delays. If you manage to go from one step to another step with little time in between, consider it a blessing.

So I will be talking with my file manager asap on Monday when the office opens, since I have to hand in my forms and take my CFAT on Tuesday, but I wanted to ask if anyone has seen this before and if it created an issue.

So I went to my parents to get my birth certificate. I was born in another country so my birth certificate was translated at the Canadian Embassy in that country before we immigrated in 1989. When we came here, the school system took the original translated version and we never got it back. So all I have for it is a copy. However, this copy has been signed and stamped at that same embassy on a visit back home. Hoping this won't be an issue, but anyone not have their original original certificate before?

Now for the second (and very weird) part of this birth certificate:
I found out that in my home country (I came to Canada when I was 1 year old) there's no such thing as a last name. Just given names (first name, then father's name, then grandfather's name, but all are considered given names). So I have no family name at birth. When we came to Canada, the immigration department at the airport told my parents to choose a family name, so he chose his great-grandpa's name.
So where it says "first name and surname" on my birth certificate, all it says is my first name. And NO WHERE on the certificate is my family name printed...

I don't know what to think. I got pretty distressed about the whole situation so I figured while I bide my time until Monday, I'd ask here.

It's not unusual however as you are foreign born, the correct document you should be using is your Citizenship Card not a foreign birth certificate.  Birth Certificates are used to confirm citizenship of people born IN Canada.

To add to Hatchet Man's post; you will be required to bring in your Citizenship card if you are born outside of Canada.  It is a point that is often overlooked to tell people not born in Canada, and does produce some delays in processing, not only in the Recruiting process, but at later dates as well.

Your Birth Certificate is used to verify when and where you were born, so it is still an important document, necessary in the processing.

I was born a Canadian citizen abroad but do not have a birth certificate of any sort.  I get by fine with my certificate of birth abroad and later my citizenship card (after the cert of birth abroad was lost) whenever a birth certificate is needed.  Bring your untranslated birth certificate if you have it along with your citizenship/certificate of birth abroad.

My neice actually has NO birth certificate and she had no issue.  She was born in Nepal and was adopted by my sister and her husband.  She has a letter stating her date of birth, or at least the date she has always used as her DOB, and the rest of her immigration docs, Nepalese passport and Canadian citizenship papers.  She just used all of those and her recruitment as a supply tech went just fine almost 3 years ago.  The origional doc is important the the info is also confirmed via the other papers you have as part of your official processes.

Thanks for all the responses! Puts me at ease.

So the whole no family name at birth shouldn't be an issue either, then?

Cardiomegaly1 said:
Thanks for all the responses! Puts me at ease.

So the whole no family name at birth shouldn't be an issue either, then?

Use whatever is on your Citizenship Card, as that is basis for your legal name in Canada.

If you're really concerned about having no "legal" last name, most provinces have a name change regulation that should allow you to call yourself what ever you want (within reason).

Back