• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Birth Certificates and Citizenship (Merged)

khpark said:
I was born in Korea and have the original certificate from there.  I'm going to get it translated and approved by the embassy that's in Vancouver downtown.  Just in case, CFLRS wants it in English or French. (can't be too careful right?)  Also, I sent an email out to CFLRS, although I don't think I won't get a reply any time soon since most or all the staff are out for the holidays.  Might as well go ask directly to the place I'll be going to.  But thanks for the replies.

Yeah, an 'official' (notarized) translation will do the trick then. Not a chance in hell there's a written policy anywhere saying that we expect an original birth certificate written in one of *our* official languages for a place like Korea. The person you talked to must have misinterpreted the need (if there is one) for an officially translated copy.

I think that you may find that the recruiting centre will be more interested in your proof of Canadian citizenship vice your birth certificate from Korea.

http://forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#step1-1

PERSONAL DOCUMENTS

In addition to the application forms, all applicants must submit the following personal documents:

Birth certificate or proof of Canadian citizenship
    Photo identification (i.e. provincial drivers’ license, student identification, etc.)
    Academic transcripts (high school, college, and university)

Upon enrolment, you will be required to show:

Your SIN card
    Any dependant birth certificates (as applicable)

Do not send original forms or documents by mail; please send photocopies with your application and retain the originals. Bring the originals with you for verification when you attend your first meeting at a recruitment centre.

Gizmo 421 said:
I think that you may find that the recruiting centre will be more interested in your proof of Canadian citizenship vice your birth certificate from Korea.

http://forces.ca/en/page/applynow-100#step1-1

PERSONAL DOCUMENTS

In addition to the application forms, all applicants must submit the following personal documents:

Birth certificate or proof of Canadian citizenship
    Photo identification (i.e. provincial drivers’ license, student identification, etc.)
    Academic transcripts (high school, college, and university)

Upon enrolment, you will be required to show:

Your SIN card
    Any dependant birth certificates (as applicable)

Do not send original forms or documents by mail; please send photocopies with your application and retain the originals. Bring the originals with you for verification when you attend your first meeting at a recruitment centre.

For purposes of security and reliability screening I expect they would need both.

I just checked my recruiters handbook.

Brihard said:
Yeah, an 'official' (notarized) translation will do the trick then. Not a chance in hell there's a written policy anywhere saying that we expect an original birth certificate written in one of *our* official languages for a place like Korea. The person you talked to must have misinterpreted the need (if there is one) for an officially translated copy.

Brihard is correct, there is no policy that says that the birth cert "Must be in english/french or translated."  I've had applicants bring in birth certificates from Yugoslavia, U.S.S.R. (Ukraine), one from South Korea, China and a couple of other places.  I have yet to request/require an applicant to bring in an English/French translation. As long as they have their citizenship card that we can copy as a Certified True Copy I have yet to have problems with Birth Certs from different countries.

I suspect,as Brihard suggested, that some one answered the phone who isn't a "recruiter", and made up an answer without checking with either the Military Career Councilors, or the recruiters in the office.

mld said:
You will have to have it officially translated by a third party. The cost comes out of your pocket. Germany is very difficult to get a birth certificate in English, but as long as an official translation is provided with the original birth certificate, they will take it.

Odd, two of my children have German birth certificates, and they're in five languages, English included.

@ Old and Tired, the person who answered my question at the recruiting center is an immediate contact for the holidays.  He is a production supervisor there, according to the email he sent me.  And if I can bring a birth certificate written in Korean and that's ok with the people at CFLRS, then I'd be a happy NCdt!  (And Merry Christmas to you all!  :gottree:)

khpark said:
@ Old and Tired, the person who answered my question at the recruiting center is an immediate contact for the holidays.  He is a production supervisor there, according to the email he sent me.  And if I can bring a birth certificate written in Korean and that's ok with the people at CFLRS, then I'd be a happy NCdt!  (And Merry Christmas to you all!  :gottree:)

What? Are we Twits??

I sent the application (online) last friday night. I was wondering if I had to sent anything as well or do you just fill in the application and then only send other documentation if they contact you and ask? (sorry if I sound very ignorant)

Also, what if I changed my mind about the first choice I wrote in the ''3 desired occupations'' section? How can I change it, do I just wait and tell the recruiter (if he contacts me)?

How long does it usualy take for them to contact you after the application is sent and what happens?

I keep trying to think back at my application and I'm just hoping that it was done properly and that I didn't write anything stupid.

Thanks! :)

I can't obviously speak for everyone but after I sent my application in I also faxed my identification and my high school transcript to North Bay the next day.

Once the recruiter has contacted you, you can then change your choices if you desire.

It's hard to say how long it will be before your file comes back due to so many variables ie. holiday's, how many applicants. But for myself it took about a month and a half for my file to be approved and get sent to my local CFRC.

Hope this is helpful.

shadesofgreen said:
I sent the application (online) last friday night. I was wondering if I had to sent anything as well or do you just fill in the application and then only send other documentation if they contact you and ask? (sorry if I sound very ignorant)

Also, what if I changed my mind about the first choice I wrote in the ''3 desired occupations'' section? How can I change it, do I just wait and tell the recruiter (if he contacts me)?

How long does it usualy take for them to contact you after the application is sent and what happens?

I keep trying to think back at my application and I'm just hoping that it was done properly and that I didn't write anything stupid.

U have to send or fax ur documents at the number-adress written on the Confirmation e-mail they sended u after u finished ur application.

If u wanna change ur 1 trade. Wait until u're local recruitment center received ur application. Then u'll be able to change it.

About the delay, it's depend. Personnally i called them so many time to get my process go faster 'cause sometime they're really slow. So push them by calling them a lot.

Hope it's help!

[quote So push them by calling them a lot.
[/quote]

I would personally becareful with that line. You need to show some reservation as well. Follow up, ask your questions. That is fine. But do not be a bother either. Recruiters are busy with hundreds of applicants. Take nothing personally and get familiar with the term "hurry up and wait". You will be doing it a lot.

Good luck in your processing!

vivelespatates said:
U have to send or fax ur documents at the number-adress written on the Confirmation e-mail they sended u after u finished ur application.

If u wanna change ur 1 trade. Wait until u're local recruitment center received ur application. Then u'll be able to change it.

About the delay, it's depend. Personnally i called them so many time to get my process go faster 'cause sometime they're really slow. So push them by calling them a lot.

Hope it's help!

Do you not have spellcheck? And only call the recruiting centre every 3-4 weeks.

shadesofgreen said:

Once you have applied online, you should receive a follow-up email within 5-7 business days at the most telling you to contact your local CFRC and how to contact them.  As of 1 Nov 13, there is NO requirement for you to mail or fax any documents to support your application.  Once you have made contact with your local CFRC, you can make the desired occupation choices at that time.

However, be forewarned!!!!    You will need to bring the "originals" of your Birth Certificate, Academic Transcripts, Proof of Citizenship and Photo ID on your first visit to your local CFRC.  If you don't have these documents, start getting them NOW!

vivelespatates said:

Emilio said:
Do you not have spellcheck?

And did you read the Milnet.ca Guidelines?

You will not use excessive webspeak, or other shorthand styles of typing. Please use English or French to the best of your ability; this makes it easier for those who are not posting in their native language.

DAA said:
Once you have applied online, you should receive a follow-up email within 5-7 business days at the most telling you to contact your local CFRC and how to contact them.  As of 1 Nov 13, there is NO requirement for you to mail or fax any documents to support your application.  Once you have made contact with your local CFRC, you can make the desired occupation choices at that time.

However, be forewarned!!!!    You will need to bring the "originals" of your Birth Certificate, Academic Transcripts, Proof of Citizenship and Photo ID on your first visit to your local CFRC.  If you don't have these documents, start getting them NOW!

Makes more sense this way.  I never understood why they used to require you to fax all those documents up only to have to bring them in again to be verified by the recruiters at the LRC, seemed to be a waste of time since it seemed like the guys in North Bay didn't really check it over anyways

Once you have applied online, you should receive a follow-up email within 5-7 business days at the most telling you to contact your local CFRC and how to contact them.  As of 1 Nov 13, there is NO requirement for you to mail or fax any documents to support your application. 

Okay, so basically I wait till they tell me to sent it. But, I know this is kind of bad and dumb, I sort of somehow lost my birth certificate after I used it to renew my passport. Is there any paper/document I could substitute it with that will prove the same thing and if so, which one? And for the academic transcript, do I need to call my high school and ask for them? (I'm not sure I have that either :S).

Once again I'm sorry if the answers are super obvious  and If I sound pretty ignorant right now. 

shadesofgreen said:
But, I know this is kind of bad and dumb, I sort of somehow lost my birth certificate after I used it to renew my passport. Is there any paper/document I could substitute it with that will prove the same thing and if so, which one?

No, but I know in Ontario you can order a new birth certificate online for like 25 bucks. Just have to answer a few questions about your place of birth, birth weight, etc. Shows up fairly quickly.

shadesofgreen said:
<snip> I sort of somehow lost my birth certificate <snip>

birth certificate
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/82132.0

shadesofgreen said:
And for the academic transcript, do I need to call my high school and ask for them?

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/106864/post-1161073.html#msg1161073
Reply #13.

shadesofgreen said:
Okay, so basically I wait till they tell me to sent it. But, I know this is kind of bad and dumb, I sort of somehow lost my birth certificate after I used it to renew my passport. Is there any paper/document I could substitute it with that will prove the same thing and if so, which one? And for the academic transcript, do I need to call my high school and ask for them? (I'm not sure I have that either :S).

Once again I'm sorry if the answers are super obvious  and If I sound pretty ignorant right now.

You will "hand deliver" all those documents at the time of your "first trip to your local CFRC when you write the CFAT".

I would order a new birth certificate now as well as contact your previous school or local school board as necessary.  The academic transcripts must also be stamped "Official".

Your local CFRC will NOT allow you to write the CFAT until you have all those documents.

shadesofgreen said:

If you cannot find your birth certificate...then order a new one.  It's something that you kind of want to have at all times anyways.  It's like $25-$30 (for Ontario atleast) and they tell you that you should have it within 2 weeks....mine came in 6 days.

For Academic Transcripts....don't know how it is now.  But 7 years ago...and in NB, I went to my High School and asked for them.  They printed me off a copy, I gave them $10-$15 (I can't remember which) and within a week I got 2 official transcripts mailed to me.

Back