• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BIQ course

RiflemanPhil

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey
Iu just graduated from my bmq today (yay :D) and am starting sq in four days. I am in the reserves in the r wpg rif regiment and am doing my training at the kapyong barracks here in winnipeg. My course officer mentioned today that my unit would be putting on the biq course this fall (at the armoury) and asked me if i wanted to take it. I just was wondering if you could inform me what the ql3 for infantry entails. Like duration, what's covered, difficulty comnpared to bmq and sq and all that jazz-benefits and cons. also would my schoolmarks really drop>?

Have you done a search first? Check there to see if any of your questions can be answered. I know here in southern ontario we do not run BIQs in the fall, those courses are typically done in the summer. But things  may have changed here like they always are!!  :eek:

BMQ is easy compared to SQ, and SQ is easy compared to Infantry DP1  ;)

Why didnt you just ask your officer or fellow soldiers all these questions when it was mentioned to you if you wanted to take it?

Some good advise given so far, particularly regarding talking to other soldiers in your unit.  Here is a few other points:

My course officer mentioned today that my unit would be putting on the biq course this fall (at the armoury) and asked me if i wanted to take it.

To be more precise, 38 CBG has asked (on behalf of the R Wpg R and the Cams of C) to run a DP 1 Inf course.  Permission to do so has not yet been received from DAT/AITA, however planning will contine on the assumption that permission will be granted.  It is not intended to run the course in the fall in the future, this is being done to support readiness commitments.

I just was wondering if you could inform me what the ql3 for infantry entails. Like duration, what's covered, difficulty comnpared to bmq and sq and all that jazz. also would my schoolmarks really drop

DP 1 Inf (PRes) is 22 training days long, therefore it will likely be scheduled over 11 weekends with the tentative start/end dates being 23 Sep to 17 Dec.  As those dates include 13 weekends, you can see that it will be a busy time (this will be somewhat alleviated if some week nights are used).  In the end only you can decide how your school work will be affected based on how much homework you actually accomplish on a typical weekend and wether you can realistically make things up on week nights.

As far as the difficulty level, yes it will be mentally and physically harder than BMQ and SQ but it is also a progressive continuation of your previous training.  As an analogy, grade 12 is more difficult than grade 11, but unless you struggled to get through grade 11, you don't generally find grade 12 to be insurmountable.

From what Ive been told by other guys in Winnipeg, the BIQ weekend course isnt as good compared to a full month in Wainwright or in my case Gagetown

ya, i think that as the wkends are split apart, you might not get the same quality of training as in one block. Also, i think that due to my being in high school(grade 12), this course would not be good for my grades(and i'm hoping to get a good scholarship for university).

Thats the same reason I'm not going to be able to do my SQ until next summer. Doing it in the summer though means as soon as SQ is done I'll be moving onto BIQ and after that ARCON, effectively eating up all but about 12 days of my summer ( crosses fingers and hopes for no CB) but I think its wiser to give up a summer rather than give up my hopeful future.

No.

BIQ is the infantry trades' course. You have to be infantry to take it. Engineers have their own trades' course.

i wanted to know cause i can be qualified in certain things like the infantry weapons and engineering equipment. I think because engineers are usually attached to infantry.

sironisix said:
i wanted to know cause i can be qualified in certain things like the infantry weapons and engineering equipment. I think because engineers are usually attached to infantry.

Troops that are LOG, EME, MP, etc are trained on the same weapons too(just not mortors), C7, C6, C9, Carl G, etc
If you want a course where you do infantry type things, an shoot all the weapons, its called SQ. Than your get to use the weapons on unit FTXs, MLOC, etc

BIQ is the Infantry QL3/DP1, like Cpl Bloggins said, to take it you have to remuster to (R)031.

MikeL said:
Troops that are LOG, EME, MP, etc are trained on the same weapons too(just not mortars), C7, C6, C9, Carl G, etc 

actually if I'm not mistaken mortars are no longer a infantry concern and are now used by artillery.

Spazz said:
actually if I'm not mistaken mortars are no longer a infantry concern and are now used by artillery.

I've heard that too, but I know some Reserve Infantry units still have mortars, not sure about the Reg Force, or if they are still taught on BIQ.

We still use mortars, and the M203 (supposedly they're making sum sort of spread round for that weapon that makes it like a shotgun ;D)

The 60mm Mortar is still taught on DP1 Inf, or at least it was on mine. The 81mm mortar however has been given to the artillery.

Back