• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bettering Fitness Standards while Waiting for BMQ

Hey guys I am almost done my application and am going reg forces. Right now I can walk long distances but probably couldn't run 2.5k or more.. I'm working on the running but I'm worried about pull-ups and push-ups or climbing walls. I am 240lbs right now standing 6'3 so obviously a lot of that is fat. A few years ago I hit the gym every 2nd day with strength and cardio training. I was able to cut down to 205 with some lean muscle.

My question is: What can I do to prepare myself, some people are starting BMQ in July, if I start then as well then I need to do something. I don't mind being stressed out or struggling with things, I've been through a lot of shit psychologically I'm used to that. But I want to get in the best shape of my life and I want to start now. Not really in a position to get a gym membership right now, but I have a punching bag, a bench, kettle-bells and I'm also taking up some sword training again. I also have a bicycle. Working on nutrition as well.

Thanks for any help.

ArmouredAnger said:
What can I do to prepare myself, some people are starting BMQ in July, if I start then as well then I need to do something.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )
https://army.ca/forums/threads/23364.0
26 pages.

Lots of good advice here,

Physical Training
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/board,75.0.html

ArmouredAnger said:
Hey guys I am almost done my application and am going reg forces. Right now I can walk long distances but probably couldn't run 2.5k or more.. I'm working on the running but I'm worried about pull-ups and push-ups or climbing walls. I am 240lbs right now standing 6'3 so obviously a lot of that is fat. A few years ago I hit the gym every 2nd day with strength and cardio training. I was able to cut down to 205 with some lean muscle.

My question is: What can I do to prepare myself, some people are starting BMQ in July, if I start then as well then I need to do something. I don't mind being stressed out or struggling with things, I've been through a lot of shit psychologically I'm used to that. But I want to get in the best shape of my life and I want to start now. Not really in a position to get a gym membership right now, but I have a punching bag, a bench, kettle-bells and I'm also taking up some sword training again. I also have a bicycle. Working on nutrition as well.

Thanks for any help.

Asking for help/advice is a good start, but be prepared for some hard truths you may be given, based on the info you’ve provided. There are several currently serving and retired members here who are very disheartened and frustrated by the lifestyles that many new hopefuls have decided to engage in—mainly not taking care of themselves and severely lacking in physical capability. They don’t hold back in sharing their opinions at times.

There is no shortage of posts in several threads around this site (and the net in general) about not only what physical level you should be for BMQ, but talking about where you should be in terms of basic physicality in general. If you’re thinking you might start course in July, getting in “the best shape of your life” between now and then is a tall order. By all means, do what you need to do and start doing it as soon as you finish reading this post. But if you work too hard too fast all you’re going to do is probably hurt yourself and then sabotage any work you’ve put in. Pushups, sit-ups, deadlifts, running. Focus on those. Sword-training (while it does sound cool) isn’t going to do much to prepare you.

If you can’t get a gym membership and are having trouble motivating yourself, find a buddy to go out for a run with. (While I do do things on my own, I’m more motivated and work harder when I’m with others who have the same goals. Some people are like that, and there’s nothing wrong with it. But you need to be aware of it and deal with yourself accordingly in order to reach your goals.) If you don’t have any friends/acquaintances who are into working out, and/or who are flakey when it comes to making plans to get together and run or something, then you’ll have to find the motivation yourself, join a running club, or find an inexpensive place to work out without all the bells & whistles—just a basic gym environment.

Overall body fitness is never a bad thing, and staying active, (even leisurely) as much as possible is important. But your main focus should be the 4 things I mentioned above. Yes, incorporate weights and work other parts of your body, but if you’re feeling overwhelmed focus on those. They’ll build up the essential areas you’ll need in order to be prepared.

Nutrition: my weight has been up and down my entire life. I know a thing or two about slimming down, getting lean and staying that way, as well as how easy it is to put weight on. One’s physique is largely dictated by what they’re consuming, period. Over-eating, eating out often, refined sugar and not eating enough natural protein sources, fresh fruits and vegetables (and other whole foods) will severely hinder any progress you’re trying to make when exercising.

Well, enough of the lecture. I’m sure you’ve heard most, if not all, of this before. Read the relevant threads, but not for too long. You need to start training. Judging by what you’ve said, hopefully it’ll be a bit longer before you get on course so you have more time to prepare properly and aren’t trying to do everything all at once at an unhealthy intensity. Best of luck.

I think the best piece of advice I can offer is to NOT stress out over this.  If you stress out and try to do too much, you will just hurt yourself, which could seriously hamper your ability to pass or even start BMQ.  If you're already doing something now, you're actually ahead of many of the other candidates.  There will be folks who will show up at BMQ in absolutely terrible shape.  The best thing I think you can do is to get as much cardio in as you can, but don't get stupid about it.  Try to go for a run five times a week.  If you can do some weight training, great, but again, don't over do it.  Stick to the basics and go slow.  It took you many years to get to where you are now.  Give yourself some time to get back and most importantly of all, don't worry about your weight.  Weight is not necessarily an accurate or even useful indicator of fitness.  I'm 6'2", 280 lbs and 53 years old, but I can still get around a rugby pitch (albeit, not as fast as I used to).

ArmouredAnger said:

My question is: What can I do to prepare myself, some people are starting BMQ in July, if I start then as well then I need to do something. I don't mind being stressed out or struggling with things, I've been through a lot of crap psychologically I'm used to that. But I want to get in the best shape of my life and I want to start now. Not really in a position to get a gym membership right now, but I have a punching bag, a bench, kettle-bells and I'm also taking up some sword training again. I also have a bicycle. Working on nutrition as well.

Thanks for any help.

2 months prior to getting to BMQ is not the time to start running if you couldn't already finish a reasonable distance, so consider delaying any offer they make you. But....

Based on your size, I'd say that's one of the bigger reasons you're having issues running. You're certainly not huge for your height, but you're at a significant disadvantage to endure the stress of running with such a large frame. I'd suggest putting on a pack and focus on getting your heart rate up and doing some rucking. Shoot for around 70-75% of max heart rate and keep it there for 30-60 mins a few times a week. You'll build up your aerobic fitness as well as slowly accumulate mileage on your body which likely isn't used to taking a beating, you're going to have serious issues at that size if you go straight into running. Once you feel comfortable with that, then go out and set a goal of doing that 2.5k at even a light jog, with the goal being to finish AND feel ok at the end.

I began what passes for my fitness regime pretty much the same day I made initial contact with the recruitment center. Since I used to run competitively back in Grade 8, my best time was 49.33. Given that I was literally half my age at the time, I'm more than happy to surpass it. As it stands, I currently run a mile in just over 6 minutes. While I have never been an aggressively athletic individual and I do continually seek to better myself, I've always been aware that I am not a fast runner in the traditional sense. What I am is someone who is much more suited to focusing on endurance, and thankfully in my experiences so far, this has made physical training much easier.

Since I walk more than 3K on a daily basis *without* doing anything more than daily tasks, the fact that I go out for a 5K run once a week and a 10K run once a month really isn't as much of a physical exertion as I apparently should believe it to be - I've always found that running is a great way to problem solve. Can't count the number of papers I got stuck on over my academic career which seemed to flow like water once I came back from a run.

No, I think my biggest problem when it comes to physical fitness is my diet - I've done tremendous work taming my sweet tooth and other guilty pleasures, but find it quite difficult to avoid certain bad habits - I love cooking, especially baking. I think you can see where this leads me into trouble. Thankfully, I'm careful to maintain a nutritional balance, but once you bake fresh cookies....

Xylric said:
I began what passes for my fitness regime pretty much the same day I made initial contact with the recruitment center. Since I used to run competitively back in Grade 8, my best time was 49.33. Given that I was literally half my age at the time, I'm more than happy to surpass it. As it stands, I currently run a mile in just over 6 minutes. While I have never been an aggressively athletic individual and I do continually seek to better myself, I've always been aware that I am not a fast runner in the traditional sense. What I am is someone who is much more suited to focusing on endurance, and thankfully in my experiences so far, this has made physical training much easier.

Since I walk more than 3K on a daily basis *without* doing anything more than daily tasks, the fact that I go out for a 5K run once a week and a 10K run once a month really isn't as much of a physical exertion as I apparently should believe it to be - I've always found that running is a great way to problem solve. Can't count the number of papers I got stuck on over my academic career which seemed to flow like water once I came back from a run.

No, I think my biggest problem when it comes to physical fitness is my diet - I've done tremendous work taming my sweet tooth and other guilty pleasures, but find it quite difficult to avoid certain bad habits - I love cooking, especially baking. I think you can see where this leads me into trouble. Thankfully, I'm careful to maintain a nutritional balance, but once you bake fresh cookies....

Intermittrnt fasting is your friend.  I follow a 16:8 diet meaning I fast for 16 hours then get all my caloric intake during an 8 hour window.  I don't eat breakfast and I eat all my meals between noon and 8 at night.

Humphrey Bogart said:
Intermittrnt fasting is your friend.  I follow a 16:8 diet meaning I fast for 16 hours then get all my caloric intake during an 8 hour window.  I don't eat breakfast and I eat all my meals between noon and 8 at night.

I'm already doing that, though closer to an 18:6 pattern.

I've seen mention in some threads of BMQ training/gym classes at bases. Does anyone know if there is an option for this in the London or Hamilton area? I know there aren't bases but maybe at reserve or regular force detachments?

Currently, the Minimum Physical Fitness Standards for Female Under 35 is:

20-Meter Shuttle Run : stage 4
Alternative Step Test: 32
Hand-grip: 50
Push-ups: 9
Sit-ups: 15

Will I be able to pass the BMQ/BMOQ as long as I can meet the above standards? I can/will be able to barely meet these standards by this July or August, but I am worried if the actual training will be  a lot more physically demanding than this standard. I heard that trainees will be asked to complete a 2.4km run as well as 5km run? and march 13km in full gear and whatnot.

I am 163cm tall and weigh 45kg. I know I am underweight but I am an extreme ectomorph and I cannot gain weight nor muscles no matter how hard I try. I guess being thin is my natural thing.
I am really a non-athletic person. In the high-school PE class, I was often the last to come in when we did laps around the school, and yes even among women. But I didn't really try my best then.

You might try to tell me that then being a soldier is not really my thing but I really want this career (I want to become an intelligence officer), I am mentally and intellectually strong enough (just not physically strong enough), and want live a kind of life that overcomes difficult challenges with efforts. What's the fun in life if I challenge myself with only the easy stuff? lol

Anyways I have about 4-5 months to prepare for the BMQ. Do you think this time is enough or should I take longer? 
What is the likely chance that the used-to-be-the-weakest girl in high school will survive the BMQ after 4-5months of intense training at home?
Am I dreaming something unrealistic? Please be honest.

Right now, I can barely pass stage 4 in the 20m shuttle run, my handgrip (combined) is barely over 50, can easily do 15 sit ups but can only do 1 push up at this time.
I am 24 years old btw. 

This thread may interest you...

I have not done BMQ so I cant say anything regarding that.. but spending time to get in better shape before going, seems wise.

https://air-force.ca/forums/threads/17044.0

Abdullah

It was mentioned as a response to your other question that fitness standards have changed.  If you want to be an Intelligence Officer, I suggest you do more research (and more fitness).

wannabeofficer said:

Will I be able to pass the BMQ/BMOQ as long as I can meet the above standards? I can/will be able to barely meet these standards by this July or August, but I am worried if the actual training will be  a lot more physically demanding than this standard. I heard that trainees will be asked to complete a 2.4km run as well as 5km run? and march 13km in full gear and whatnot.

I am 163cm tall and weigh 45kg. I know I am underweight but I am an extreme ectomorph and I cannot gain weight nor muscles no matter how hard I try. I guess being thin is my natural thing.
I am really a non-athletic person. In the high-school PE class, I was often the last to come in when we did laps around the school, and yes even among women. But I didn't really try my best then.

You might try to tell me that then being a soldier is not really my thing but I really want this career (I want to become an intelligence officer), I am mentally and intellectually strong enough (just not physically strong enough), and want live a kind of life that overcomes difficult challenges with efforts. What's the fun in life if I challenge myself with only the easy stuff? lol

Anyways I have about 4-5 months to prepare for the BMQ. Do you think this time is enough or should I take longer? 
What is the likely chance that the used-to-be-the-weakest girl in high school will survive the BMQ after 4-5months of intense training at home?

Right now, I can barely pass stage 4 in the 20m shuttle run, my handgrip (combined) is barely over 50, can easily do 15 sit ups but can only do 1 push up at this time.
I am 24 years old btw.

I see you said that you can’t gain muscle mass or weight, you should look into some work out supplements, maybe some creatine, pre work out, weight gainer and continue to work out. Don’t give up you got this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote author=wannabeofficer]

I am 24 years old btw. 

[/quote]

You sound pretty petite and physically weak. One pushup is not very much upper body strength at all,going from 1 push up to 9 is alot of work. Stage 4 on the shuttle run as far as I remember is basically walking fast. Not saying that to be an asshole, you asked for honesty.

As an intelligence officer there is a chance (as small as it may be) that you're posted to a field unit that deploys on combat operations. You may have to carry body armor, ballistic plates, rifle & pistol, helmet, chest rig, 5-10 pounds of ammo plus more. It could easily add up to more than half your weight. Is it doable? I'm sure it is, but you don't sound like you're coming from a solid fitness foundation.

You simply may not be physically capable of doing the job. That said if you can pass the military fitness tests then you could very well pass BMQ despite not being able to keep up on runs or rucksack marches (so long as they aren't an actual requirement like the FORCE test is). You can fall out constantly but so long as you don't give the staff attitude (which can put you on the warning system) then you may be good to go.

No one here can really make the call on whether or not you can do it. I'd suggest you check the forums for whatever the current fitness requirements are for the CAF, set up your own tests and see how well you do. You can really accomplish some serious body changes in 1-3 months but you have to be disciplined.

To follow up with Jarnhamar,  it is true the armed forces no longer has the attitude that any problem can be surmounted with brawn or explosives, there is still a certain expectation amongst peers that one can carry their load all the way, otherwise (as unfair as it sounds) misery and low self extend sometimes follows.  In some cases, this can be more a mental state of mind than physical but could be serious problem and perhaps even a medical emergency in BMQ if one does not have the stored calories to burn to begin with.

Fitness coach/trainer? Nutritionist? There is a whole industry of qualified professionals who assist aspiring first responders, military and a few others to achieve their weight and fitness goals. 

wannabeofficer said:

I am 24 years old btw.

There are no 2.4/5km runs nor 13km full gear march.

There were a few women in my BMOQ platoon who were petite, underweight, and struggled a lot physically but that didn't stopped them from succeeding the BMOQ. A woman on my BMOQ platoon (she also chose Int O) didn't passed the first/initial FORCE test and was re-assigned to the "fat" platoon to get fit. Once she gets fit enough and passes the FORCE test, she gets re-assigned to a future BMOQ platoon. The rucksack marches and the warrior challenge might be extremely challenging for you. Air Force or Navy would be a more appropriate element choice for you than Army considering the post-BMOQ trainings and your wish to be an Int O. Don't let any of this discourage you in any way.

wannabeofficer said:

I am 24 years old btw.

Certain aspects of the FORCE are absolutely more difficult if one is underweight and under-tall (mostly the drag from my experience), simply because the more weight and leverage from both one has to put behind it the easier it is--But far from impossible. Good technique is important.

That being said, I was on pl with females who were under 5' in height and only around 100-110lbs, if that. They ended up graduating, but spent time on TRP in order to build up their strength and/or technique--mostly technique, they were in good shape. (Training Reintegration Program: platoon for injured recruits, or those who couldn't pass their FORCE for whatever reason.) Ideally, you'll want to avoid this route. Injuries during course happen unfortunately, but your condition upon arriving to BMQ/BMOQ is completely up to you. 

I'm 5'2" and have never failed my FORCE, even when my fitness level was at its worst. (post-injury) Rucking was difficult for me though. The 13km march doesn't exist anymore, but you'll still need to carry weight for varying distances and up and down stairs multiple times. Cardio, good core and upper-body strength are essential. (I wasn't in bad shape when I joined, but there was certainly room for improvement. That's one of my biggest regrets--not being better prepared.) Take the time you need to get in excellent shape beforehand, not just good/average. If you're not well-prepared you'll stress your body more easily and be much more prone to injury. Yes, even people who are in good shape sustain injury during course sometimes, but the worse shape you're in, the greater chance you have of getting hurt. There are a ton of excellent running programs online, as well as schedules for building push-up capability, and other key-components of strength-training. Core strength is huge. Carrying weight will be exceptionally taxing on your body (even for short distances) without it. I know it's easier said than done, but like I said, it's entirely in your own hands. Strength-training is a must.

4-5mths prep time isn't enough IMO. From what you've described, you're basically wanting to go from close to zero to BMQ/BMOQ shape in that time frame, which means you're going to have to be working out 4-5 days/wk consistently, cardio & strength. So that means donating a good 60-90mins minimum per workout session. And don't forget about altering/adjusting your diet adequately in order to sustain your workout regime and build muscle as well. I'm willing to bet that you'll experience at least a couple of set-backs due to injury, illness, personal schedule, etc during that time frame. All of which could significantly hinder/set-back any progress you've made. I wouldn't go any less than 6months prep time. If you'd already had a stable enough physical foundation from which to build upon, it would be different. But again, from your own description you're starting from very low capability. This isn't something you'll want to rush.

wannabeofficer said:
I am worried if the actual training will be  a lot more physically demanding than this standard.

I am really a non-athletic person.

I didn't really try my best then.

I am 24 years old btw.

The minimum standard is not adequate preparation for course, at all. As previously mentioned, TRP platoon is a constant institution at CFLRS. It is designed to get candidates fit for the next session of BMQ/BMOQ that they will be medically cleared for. You workout twice a day, and depending on why you're in TRP, your workout routine will work with injuries or be designed specifically to train you up for success. It often incorporates specific exercises to help you get better at the FORCE test and the fitness aspects that Basic challenges. The number one thing that TRP provides is structure. If you can blast your body and eat healthy for the months leading up to your BM(O)Q, you can likely just get through the course. If you arrive underprepared and are not able to achieve the standard required, TRP is there to train you up to it. I'd advise anyone to do the work on their own, and avoid TRP, but it should not be seen as a crippling failure if you land there. There are always highly motivated people on TRP that landed there due to Murphy's Law and will be top caliber candidates for the next available session of Basic.

I'd say this all depends on how bad you want this career. I agree with the statement that being underweight and under-tall puts you at a distinct disadvantage, especially for the drag on the FORCE test. I can also say I've seen some very petite people drag about triple their body weight to finish the test successfully.

Basic is meant to be somewhat challenging physically and mentally. It will likely call upon every candidate's weaknesses at one point or another. That being said, your motivation will guide a fair bit of how prepared you arrive to course. Some people have inner drive, others need to find tricks to help themselves overcome procrastination or low motivation.

General tips:
Do not rely on supplements - you won't have them on Basic. Get used to eating healthy and hearty meals to fuel yourself. The average candidate on Basic burns about 3600 cal/day. You aren't expected to count calories, but start to do basic research on nutrition. You are far better off eating two hard boiled eggs and 250mL of water, than you are downing McNuggets, a can of Coke, and whatever supplements will make up for it.

Drink water - become one of those people that just carries a water bottle with them everywhere, and uses it. Course staff will harp on this relentlessly, to hydrate. Your body needs more than just water to function well, but most of the time water is all you have. You can mix powder Gatorade or whatever, but don't overuse it or replace water with it all the time.

Create challenges for yourself - walk everywhere. Get a comfortable pair of running shoes and use them. Have a friend take your cell phone, drive you about 5km away, and dump you at the side of the road. You'd be surprised how motivating it can be to have "home" as your destination, and there's no backup coming to give you a ride.

Get comfortable with your body weight, and approximately 40-45lbs. - Crunches, push ups, running up and down stairs, plank, think about body weight exercises first, and get very comfortable doing these. Later, start thinking about a 45lbs weight. The FORCE test uses sandbags for a lot of it. You will carry them around, lift them repeatedly...and on course it is no coincidence that your rucksack will eventually weigh about 40-45lbs.

Hello all,

I'm going to be joining the reserves and have my CFAT and fitness test in a week. CFAT, I'm not concerned about as I can study for that. However is there some kind of benchmark I should meet so I know I'm going to do well on the fitness test. Like how many pushups, situps, running times, just so I know I have the physical capability to pass the test? Is there any kind of benchmark?

Back