• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Better pay for skilled personnel one way to lure recruits to forces

Speaking as an infantry guy I would like to see some incentives thrown to us older fellas who stuck with the infantry our whole career. I am presently employed outside of battalion and it seems that the tech/support trades are running near or over capacity but in the battalions (all 3 reg regiments) we are grossly undermanned.

It seems to me that the CF has all these wonderful incentives for techs and computer whizzes while at the same time printing these posters pronouncing that "It's not about the gizmos". Does that not seem to be a little contradictory?

As for the other combat arms branches I just want to know if you are just as bad off, manpower-wise as is the infantry?

We have to remember here folks, while there is a place for techs and support personnel, ultimately we have to put combat arms types on the ground in every little shyte hole that we go to!

The point that TB removed the benefits is important - if they can remove them, there is a argument to be made that the CF should benefit (pun not intended) from other TB endorsed educational programmes - and TB should instate them for the CF.

They are looking at this now, and there is some hope that a broader set pf programmes can be applied. This would certainly be good for guys like 2Cdo who want training or George - who got caught in the crap.

This part of the  argument being presented

Programs like TERM were not bad ideas in principle (spec pay is a similar idea), so long as the idea of the level of responsibility and accountability is the main factor in deciding pay and "perques". Too bad the infighting killed the idea. The minister was talking out of his hat WRT the relative values of the computer programmer and the LT; who is responsible for setting the parameters for the program, or wearing it if the program fails to work?

I would like to put the bonus at the tail end of the contract, as opposed to a sighning bonus, i.e. you served your full 5 years as a Dr or Dentist, here is your $50K (or whatever). Completion bonuses would also work for all ranks/trades as something to aspire to, as well as a lure to re-sign (wow, another 3 years = $20K)

My two cents (after you read the threads)  ;)

a_majoor said:
I would like to put the bonus at the tail end of the contract, as opposed to a sighning bonus, i.e. you served your full 5 years as a Dr or Dentist, here is your $50K (or whatever). Completion bonuses would also work for all ranks/trades as something to aspire to, as well as a lure to re-sign (wow, another 3 years = $20K)

I vote for that. The candy should come after the effort, not before... The same thing to attract specialized personnel.

Just a note, there's in fact a reward after the initial engagement for officers (basically 9 years): the CF offer to pay for a master's degree. I find it really good. Since an undergraduate degree is required, it's no problem to offer a master's and it pays for the CF too, their senior officers will have master's and up, which very good for professionalism.

As for my comparison, civvy vs military trades; I was refering to the proficiency only. I'm a firm believer that people should be attract to the CF because this is essentially an armed forces and should ponder this decision and all implications it has.

Spec Pay - yes this is intended to be an inducement for techs and some operators/MP's to stay in after they are fully trades qualified. It seems that spec pay is being included in more and more trades. Don't get me wrong I get spec pay but at some point it isn't much of an incentive if everyone gets it.

Combat Arms Trades - brother I was combat arms and I did enjoy it but much of the thrill is gone, esp in the Infantry were they lost mortars, TOW ??, Pioneer Pl, Coyotes, AB Regt. Hell, were is the incentive to aspire to a higher standard? As it stands now if you do really well in a rifle company, you get to go to a rifle company.

Reserve to Reg Force Xfer - You want to get people in to the military, esp the Reg Force? make it easier to xfer from the reserves to regs. It now normally takes 6 months minimum to xfer and I know of some who have waited 4 YEARS. What about  TOTAL FORCE!!!!!! Yes the reservist will almost always have to do further training to get up to speed with his new Reg Force brothers/sisters but they shouldn't be penalized just for being in the Reserves.

Right now it is at least two times faster to join the Reg Force right off of the street that to xfer from Reserves.

Moral - want to improve troops moral.... stop coddling them, stop lowering the standards to the lowest common denominator, give them goals with high expectations and make them meet them. This is true at all ranks in all trades in the military. We make troops better by ensuring that we present a positive role model and by kicking them in the ass when they need it and patting them on the back when they deserve it.

I'm out of breath.... OUT  :salute:

Back