• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best source for training and tasking opportunities?

multihobbist

Inactive
Reaction score
1. I'm a full time student and been in for about 2 years, I would like to know where I can find the
best source for training and tasking opportunities for the summer other than the CoC.

My CoC told me that they were not given any information about the summer yet, I need to know
well ahead because I am yet to decided to go with the school Co-op program in Geneva
or to spend another summer with the army.

2. Also, an unrelated topic but I wish to know how/who I need to talk to if I have concerns in my career, in simple words: I do not know what exactly wish to do since I am already in school and enjoying it. I will soon have to decide either the army or the area of my study and commit to either one.

Who can I speak to about this, is there a careers counsellor outside the recruitment office?
I will be expecting part 2 response via private messaging.

Your CoC does not have information because no one has that inforamtion at this time.

It is likely that there will be some tasks in June to support the G8/G20 summit.  There will be courses offered in July/August.  Depending on your trade and current qualifications, you could be offered a position supporting training (eg demo platoon); courses (eg driver wheeled, PLQ or DP2A weapons, assuming you're an infantryman).

But the planning for the summits is not complete therefore the tasks are not known therefore no one can offer at this time - the summits are the top priority; once their requirements are identified other tasks can then be added.

As well, going around your CoC to find taskings/jobs works once.  Only once.

Dapaterson, I think it depends as I have already been apporached by my Ops O and SSM/Trg MWO about my tasking(s) for the spring/summer/fall of 2010.

multihobbist if you have acces to the DIN you can look on the LFDTS site (I think)  and there should be a link to the training calendar which list what courses are offered and where. But mind you I don't think the draft calendar for 2010/11 is up yet.

From his posting history, multihobbist is a pte/cpl in Ontario.  LFCA's focus for June 2010 is the G8/G20 summits and they will be dedicating their efforts to the success of those two summits.

Early taskings tend to occur with more senior personnel; many cpl/pte tasks are GD/ any trade.

Ack. But IMHO career courses should take priority over the G6/20 taskings........

I was already told by higher in CoC; the brigade commander himself announced that
he was preparing for G6/G20 and if I haven't heard anything
about it yet then I won't be hearing anything for a while.
He also mentioned that since it will be domestic operations, will take the top line of qualifications
and regforce first which I'm sure I am not up at that line.

I would prefer a careers course way over the tasking since I my current goal is to be as qualified as possible
and be at the top line of applicants at my rank for 3-11 deployment, DP2A and PLQ etc.

and if it's not going to happen I would like to chase after my civilian career, which has a volunteer job offering at Geneva.

"multihobbist if you have acces to the DIN you can look on the LFDTS site (I think)  and there should be a link to the training calendar which list what courses are offered and where. But mind you I don't think the draft calendar for 2010/11 is up yet"-NFLD Sapper

I've never heard of DIN and therefore I would assume that I don't have the access, shall I ask the CoC about the access?

Sigh.  LFCA will not be offering career courses in June.  They will not be offering candidates the opportunity to train in other LFAs either.  Per the LFCA commander's town hall in Ottawa eariler this week, there will be positions for many reservists available to augment and assist in the G8/G20 summits.

National courses (Infantry School or Tactics schools in Gagetown are those that would apply here) are the only ones that will be exempt from this.  But Meaford will not be conducting training in June.  Petawawa will not be conducting training in June.  Units will not be conducting training within their lines in June.

It's a question of personnel and of equipment.

National courses are those that are run nationally, since either there is insufficient demand regionally, or there are significant equipment or personnel requirements that can best be met by centralized training.  These are generally DP1 officer courses or DP3+ officer or NCM courses.

The courses an infantry pte/cpl would be taking would not be national courses (barring exceptional situations).

While other LFAs may be running courses in the June time frame, LFCA (to my understanding) will not be sending people on those courses until all the tasks related to G8/G20 are filled.  Those are no-fail.  Getting a DP2A infantry support weapons course in July instead of June is a lower impact issue, believe it or not.

Thank you very much,
I will wait for the CoC to ask for self identification for G8/G20
and apply for the volunteer job at Geneva which will take from 4 to 9 weeks from the end of April

For taskings, see the 32 CBG site: http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/32brigade/hq/Home_News.htm
Follow the "employment" link. Again, it's DIN only, so get yourself an account or get someone to log in for you.

Geneva sounds like the better option anyway.

i gotta say it'll be pretty ironic to go to Geneva for the Co-op
since it'll funded by the G8 research.
I'll be working for the same political group either way.

I definately don't have DIN account since I can't even access the employment link on the website.

Thank you everybody.

I've changed my mind about the co-op offer from my University.
I spent some time with people who were in it last year and it definately sounds like
something I want to miss espicially when it is a very low pay/volunteer; I pretty much
get what I need to survive while I'm in Geneva.

I am wondering how people can get on the Class B as enemy force or GD in bases.
I asked a friend of mine who was on it she basically told me she went to her BOR
and told them "I need this for this summer for this long." and it was taken care of she said.

I need a summer job from April till September, I wish to have a long contract with the CF so
I can gain more experience and have a break from the other side of my career and I also need to
pay for the tuition. As mentioned by Rheostatic, I tried looking at the website, but also as he mentioned I don''t have DIN and my friends and lower ranks in NCM have no clue what I'm talking about. I already asked my COC about this.

What shall be my next move?
Thanks again
-Edited for a few mistakes;sleep dept

multihobbist said:
Is there a way I can ask or apply to take the National Courses?

You go through your chain of command, to apply (or at least show interests) for courses.  They in turn will decide to nominate you or not.

Back