• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best "Guy" Movies of All Time

Danjanou

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
This thread idea comes out of a conversation elsewhere on this site. In these times of emasculating political correctness many of us elder types yearn back to simpler times and are forced down to our man caves to watch classic movies of simpler times where bad guys got their butts kicked, things "blowed up real good" and all that was wrong with the world is righted within 90-120 minutes.

Therefore we will commence with the official Army.ca "Greatest Guy Movies of all Times.

All entries will be treated with the utmost respect, meaning you better be able to justify it on the basis of great dialogue, but kicking, car chases, and/or what gets blowed up.  8)

I'll add my own nominations in a bit.

The Terminator

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Goldfinger

Predator

Real classic from the B&W era: The Four Feathers

Of course "Patton" provides the ultimate manly man kicking Axis butt and taking names across the African and European theaters

dapaterson said:
The Terminator

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

Goldfinger

Predator

All these plus "The 300" for the message it conveys
The Green Berets - John Wayne
True Grit - Fill yer hands ya sons a bitches!!
A Bridge Too Far - great music and the Sptifire that did the recce over Holland - it sounds great on surround sound!!
Blackhawk Down - I met the real Captain Steele.....now Colonel Steele and yes he is one big white dude
The Godfather Movies

I can think of more I'm sure!!

Rheostatic said:

Highest Rated Feature Films With Title Matching "guy"

You're not even trying. 8)

For sheer classics ZULU has to be in the list. Yes it's full of historical inaccuracies, the Regiment weren't Welsh then and didn't sing. The Subalterns were over aged over the hill and one was deaf and that's why they were left at Rorkes Drift. The Colour Sgt was not a seasoned vet but newly promoted and the youngest in the British Army and PteHook was a tea total. You can also see the digital watches the Zulu extras received as part of their pay in some scenes.

All that aside it still ranks there as a classic guy movie.

By the way, movie title with "guy" in it doesn't necessarily = "guy flick"

Thucydides said:
Real classic from the B&W era: The Four Feathers
I've seen this and the 2002 remake, and the new one isn't bad, either (a lot more lush in scenery and production values, so it might be considered a touch less manly by some).

Danjanou said:
For sheer classics ZULU has to be in the list .... it still ranks there as a classic gut movie.
Agreed - shame Zulu Dawn didn't live up to the original.

How about this portrayal of a manly group of independent problem solvers?
MV5BMTg5NzMwODQ2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzIxNDkxMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR7,0,214,317_.jpg

Zulu, The Four Feathers, Kelly's Heros... yep.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Patton
Cross of Iron

to name a few

Tora Tora Tora is a fave! No obligitory chick flick moments like the awful remake I couldn't finish, I think it was called Pearl Harbor.

Add in the Tuskagee Airmen as great as well.

milnews.ca said:
How about this portrayal of a manly group of independent problem solvers?
MV5BMTg5NzMwODQ2MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzIxNDkxMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR7,0,214,317_.jpg

Always with the negative waves Moriarty, always with the negative waves. ;D

Gladiator (2000)

Spartacus ( 1960)

Ben Hur (1959)

A must have trio for fans of all things gladiatorial, and ancient rome. Plus you can have a mediocre car chase, but a chariot race...that's just awesome!

YES  to all the above!!

My compliments to you gents!

Oh and Swamp People (TV series) is quite manly as well.

Catching alligators - not for the faint of heart or any "star" in "The Hangover"

French Connection:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoqQN94ibDc
That's a 1971 Pontiac Le Mans in the subway chase. They started in Brooklyn and ran through 26 blocks under the tracks hitting 90 MPH. They side swiped a city bus so hard the doors would not open. That scene hitting the guy going to work and spinning into a pillar was not in the script. He really was just a guy trying to get to work.

His partner, Roy Scheider in "The 7-ups":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vACWV5sRcY&feature=related
That's Bill Hickman behind the wheel of a 1972 Pontiac Grand Ville. Scheider's Ventura does a "Jayne Mansfield" into the back of an eighteen-wheeler.
Location shooting was done in upper Manhattan, on the George Washington Bridge, and on the Palisades and Taconic parkways.

No special effects. It was the real thing.

Saving Private Ryan - Awesome combat scene
A Few Good Men - "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!"
Red Dawn - just an amazing concept and picturesque moment when Russian paratroopers drop at the start.
Band of Brothers and The Pacific - Not movies, but still warrent a mention IMO.

Now for my obligatory contribution:

Cross of Iron.  Nothing says "I'm a man, dammit!" more than watching Germans and Soviets battle each other across the Kerch Peninsula!

Back