• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best anti virus for the money?

Good2Golf said:
+1    What Rice and Mithras said!

When I'm not flying around, I'm usually sniffing around staying current on my comp eng and elec eng background, especially ITSec issues...Avast is without equals when you're not limited by corporate incetives/marketing hyperbole from the biggies.

'Tis a good thing they're not letting Pilots manage DND IT networks  ;D

For some independent reviews by leading industry rags:
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid14_gci1160328,00.html
http://www.itpro.co.uk/applications/labs/1/enterprise-anti-virus-software/conclusion.html

As I mentioned before, I used AVG and Avast on my own PC at home for some time, and I think they're great for what you pay for them.  That said, I've had viruses slip through both of them inexplicably.  I've yet to have one slip through Symantec AV, and I've yet to hear of anyone else I know who uses it being bitten.

My $0.02...and I promise to never attempt to tell you how to fly your aircraft  ;)

Okay, maybe I'm in for a nickel now  :)

No harm, no foul, 284...like I said, stuff I do in my down time...  ;)

I suppose you can find reviews for or against anything.  I find a lot of things that Avast catches that both Symantec and McAfee miss (although I think DND made a mistake going from McAfee to Symantec)

G2G

Good2Golf said:
(although I think DND made a mistake going from McAfee to Symantec)

DND??  Make a mistake??  ::)  (then again, you also said that you think, so I guess the unexpected DOES happen sometimes. ;D)

I'm currently running three computers with three different anti virus programs - Norton/Symantic, Panda/Titanium, and McAffee.  IMHO Norton takes over too much of the system and Panda requires you to disable it before running some internet apps, so it's all or nothing.  This leaves McAffee as the most stable one for me.

Worn Out Grunt said:
I'm currently running three computers with three different anti virus programs - Norton/Symantic, Panda/Titanium, and McAffee. 

So which is it, Norton AV or Symantec AV Corporate? ???

Norton AV - should have been more specific.  There are other features to Norton that are good such as the defrag and windows protection features, but sometimes I don't think it's worth the hastle.

As was stated before - Norton does not equal Symantec.

I wouldn't protect a calculator with Norton...

tlg said:
AVG is da bomb. Works better than any paid for "systemworks" bundle and uses a fraction of the resources. Plus its free and it has updates almost daily (because there are new version of viri and trojans kicking about every hour),

I also use AVG its awesome.

In the case of Avast! and AVG they have commercial versions which they charge for.  The home versions are free.

Mithras said:
In the case of Avast! and AVG they have commercial versions which they charge for.  The home versions are free.
+1
And the home versions do pretty much the same thing, they just lack some corporate features that you don't really need in a smal office/home office environment.
What's that? My antivirus is talking to me. What did you just say, Avast? You just updated yourself automatically? Most excellent. I love you too :)

Rice0031 said:
What's that? My antivirus is talking to me. What did you just say, Avast? You just updated yourself automatically? Most excellent. I love you too :)

:eek:

Rice...  I think you've spent too much time with your computer.

I used to be like that with my computer. Now I act like that with my kit. I think it's the paranoia kicking in now. The Section Commanders are extremely efficient in letting us "cock" ourselves.

Back