• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best anti virus for the money?

Been using Avast! for a while, updates occur every couple days and I haven't had any problems with it.

As for Symantec Corporate AV, I realize it is not the same as Norton.  I have used it, seen it in action and I wasn't to impressed by it but I tend to be a nitpicker about software.

BTW I have done network support for an organization and know first hand the experiences of poor, non-uniform AV software implementation so I am all for anything that works, and Symantec does work.

Norton now marketing packages of 3 licences - good for the whole family +/-

I personally have bought AVG Pro and I swear by it, excellent coverage, doesn't eat up all your system resources.

Mine was Norton Symantec. I had the sufersidekick virus. Norton would not erase it
period. YES, it put it in qurantine until I so-called said "erase" "delete" from the
quarantine. But the virus would not go away. It was very well buried. I took it to
a repair shop, he added norton. I told him it is still there. ALl he did was put it in
quarantine and that was it. I took it to my friend who was a Tech and he totally
got rid of it and threw Norton out the window and gave me e-trust. Norton was
sending out spam packets with the virus..lol was sort of funny when I first seen it happen
when he was getting rid of it. Took 4 hours to totally get rid of the virus.
SO, if you want a KEY to Noron, I hane one  ::)

I'm not the smartest one with computers here but I'm the smartest at home.
I use Windows Defender, I found it to be ALOT better than Norton Anti-Virus 2006
Plus it Deletes stuff.

The story on why I found Windows Defender to be better.

I was on my parents computer because it was on and didn't feel like turning my computer on, so I go on msn, I get a message with a link and i click on it. Then it opens a message window to everyone Online and sends it to them. It was a virus. So I disconnect from internet, and immediately run Norton Anti-Virus(Full System Scan). It says 3 Files were detected. None of them were the virus I had just got(I was getting a window saying to you want to run iexplore.exe) So I decided to take action, deletes one and quarantines the other 2. So i was thinking, Uh oh. Then i see something in the bottom right where the little icons are and I see Windows Defender, So I run a Full System Scan......

36 Files Detected!!!!!!

And it let me Delete them!

Does anyone know any problems with Windows Defender because I think I'm going to keep it.

Good link

Found this from that link...  the top 10

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,125857-page,1/article.html

Antivir

Free, had it on my PC and picked up a virus that was present on my home network that my wife's fully paid up Norton didn't.  Updates range from daily to around every three days at the most. 

http://www.free-av.com/

No spyware, bloatware, one pop up when updating that you can just close.  Works well with Firefox and IE.

D

As a professional in the IT field (or rather, professional in training), I 100% highly recommend Avast Antivirus, it is excellent, free, and works great! I've never had any issues with it. AVG Free Is also another excellent option. I don't recommend Norton because it eats up a ton of resources, and there are equivalent options that cost nothing.

I really liked Panda when I had it.  It automatically updates itself every day, you don't have to lift a finger.  It caught a few "insurgents" and never let any slip by while I had it.  Now I use AVG, free is my favorite price.  I only had Panda because I managed to find a free 1 year licence. 

Planes

Eats up system resources? You must be talking about the home version....

I_Drive_Planes said:
I really liked Panda when I had it.  It automatically updates itself every day, you don't have to lift a finger.  It caught a few "insurgents" and never let any slip by while I had it.  Now I use AVG, free is my favorite price.  I only had Panda because I managed to find a free 1 year licence. 

Planes
I've had nothing but bad experience with Panda... I never really liked it. I found it always slogged down my computer. Why use that when you can use free alternatives that work just as well, if not better?

Rocketryan said:
I'm not the smartest one with computers here but I'm the smartest at home.
I use Windows Defender, I found it to be ALOT better than Norton Anti-Virus 2006
Plus it Deletes stuff.

That's because Windows Defender isn't an anti-virus program.  It's anti-spyware.  It won't do a thing to protect you from viruses.

Does anyone know any problems with Windows Defender because I think I'm going to keep it.

Nobody should be using one single anti-spyware program.  All of them miss some stuff, however if you run Windows Defender, Spybot Search & Destroy, and Lavasoft AdAware, you've just protected yourself from nearly 100% of the spyware out there.

I'd look into getting an anti-virus product if I were you  ;D

There seem to be a lot of misconceptions about Norton and Symantec.

Symantec is the parent company.

Symantec bought out a company called Norton years ago, and now makes Norton Anti-virus (as well as umpteen other "Norton" software products), that are all targeted to the home PC market.  It's bloatware - all of it.  No self-respecting computer nerd would let anything branded with "Norton" near their PC.

Symantec also makes Symantec Anti-virus Corporate Edition, which is a completely independent product from the Norton suite of software - note there's no "Norton" in the name.  If you're using a DND computer, look down in the system tray for the little yellow shield icon.  That's Symantec AV Corporate Edition at work.  It's not bloatware - it's actually one of the most streamlined AV products out there.  It's also available for free to DND personnel who use their home PC for work purposes - even if it's just to draft a memo once a year using Office 2003 (which is also available for free to DND personnel under a home use agreement).  See your local IT support people for the home use policy.

284_226 said:
........  It's not bloatware - it's actually one of the most streamlined AV products out there. 

Shirley!

You Joke!

Are you serious?  I have at times spent a whole morning not being able to get anything done due to the UPDATES being installed and numerous REBOOTS that have to take place.  (I think the record was 4)  Don't tell me it is one of the most streamlined AV products out there.  That is crap.

And yes, I did call you Shirley.   ;D

George Wallace said:
Are you serious?  I have at times spent a whole morning not being able to get anything done due to the UPDATES being installed and numerous REBOOTS that have to take place.  (I think the record was 4)  Don't tell me it is one of the most streamlined AV products out there.  That is crap.

Antivirus signature updates to Symantec are pushed down to client PCs on the DWAN through Baseline.  Signature updates alone don't cause reboots.  Occasionally, a scan engine update is pushed down, but that's only on the order of every couple of months or so.  I'm not even certain that scan engine updates cause reboots on a Baseline machine - I know they don't on my home PC.

I think you'll find that all of the reboots you're undergoing are attributed to Baseline pushing down Windows patches, Office patches, IE patches, Entrust patches, and any of the umpteen other Baseline-controlled applications.

284_226 said:
That's because Windows Defender isn't an anti-virus program.  It's anti-spyware.

Uh oh....

I think I'm going to download the all the free stuff now....

284_226 said:
That's because Windows Defender isn't an anti-virus program.  It's anti-spyware.  It won't do a thing to protect you from viruses

Correct.  Windows Live is their anti virus program. 

lol...  using defender only..  ::)

I know 284  it's not you... it was who you were quoting.

Rice0031 said:
As a professional in the IT field (or rather, professional in training), I 100% highly recommend Avast Antivirus, it is excellent, free, and works great! I've never had any issues with it. AVG Free Is also another excellent option. I don't recommend Norton because it eats up a ton of resources, and there are equivalent options that cost nothing.

+1    What Rice and Mithras said!

Avast  -  http://www.avast-2007.com/index.asp

When I'm not flying around, I'm usually sniffing around staying current on my comp eng and elec eng background, especially ITSec issues...Avast is without equals when you're not limited by corporate incetives/marketing hyperbole from the biggies.

G2G

Back