• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Berets and How to Form Them

Originally posted by The_Falcon:
[qb] Do what your friend said. Wear it in the shower (or soak it in hot water). The hot water helps loosen the fabric. Form it then allow it to dry. Sometimes the liner (the black fabric inside) happens to "fall out". With that liner out it is easier to form. [/qb]
Do what the falcon says, lose the liner, get it wet,and form it on your head. Then wait for it to dry. Drink while you wait, you‘ll be amazed at how the time goes by, lostgrenadier

Oh well! It‘s hardly functional headdress anyway.
Tell that to the Royal Marines dismounting at Basra wearing their green berets....

Don‘t bother forming your beret at all. I want to see someone wearing an unformed beret that looks like a chef hat, it would be good for a chuckle.

u may want to take a look at me then. I‘ve formed my beret 3 times, once in the shower and twice in a mixing bowl of hot water. The flap STILL sticks straight out the side and looks like a wing.

Hot water, then stick on your head and form the way you want it, leave it on your head to dry.

When it is almost dry spray with hair spray.

I hate the way the liners just fall out as well.

You want a REAL solution. Just spend the 20 bucks and order a Belgian-style beret off the internet (PPCLI kitshop has ‘em).

Not only is the material better (and all the same colour), but the band is cloth, rather than leather, so it does not crack and peel. The issue beret looks like dog s**t.

Originally posted by Infanteer:
[qb] You want a REAL solution. Just spend the 20 bucks and order a Belgian-style beret off the internet (PPCLI kitshop has ‘em).

Not only is the material better (and all the same colour), but the band is cloth, rather than leather, so it does not crack and peel. The issue beret looks like dog s**t. [/qb]
Will instructors or superior‘s care if you‘re using the Belgian style of Beret?

i found the easy way was:

1. get the liner out (pos)

2. get it very wet two or three times to remove any thing in the wool

3. once you have it formed just right

place it on the floor with a piece of wood over the fold and place some bricks on it for at least a week when you remove the weight it should be perfect.

at least thats the way i used to do it

After you cut the liner out soak it in hot water form it let it dry. Then take a razor and shave all the fuzzy bits off. Martha Stewart calls it "Antiquing" That way it will not attract as many stole away dust bunnies.

Originally posted by R.C.R.:
[qb]
Originally posted by Infanteer:
[qb] You want a REAL solution. Just spend the 20 bucks and order a Belgian-style beret off the internet (PPCLI kitshop has ‘em).

Not only is the material better (and all the same colour), but the band is cloth, rather than leather, so it does not crack and peel. The issue beret looks like dog s**t. [/qb]
Will instructors or superior‘s care if you‘re using the Belgian style of Beret? [/qb]
when you go on your BMQ, stick with the issued beret, but after you can wear the belgian beret, which is better like infanteer said

and you might not want to cut out the liner until after BMQ, SQ..

on my QL-2 Crse the instructors did a check, and anyone who had a liner cut out, got a red chit, and had to pay for a replacement Beret.

"I got my beret issued to me without a liner. They are suppose to have a liner?" Is the correct response if they check to see if you cut it out.

A beret is 8 bucks.. buy too, leave the liner out of one, leave it in on the other, have both on BMQ. mention you got one without a liner, but being a proactive person, you bought the new one just in case you were required to use it. a second beret comes in handy as well if you are an idiot and lose the first one. doesnt do well to explain to your SGT that you lost your beret.

1. How do I put the badge on?

2. Can I take the big tag in the center off?

3. Does anyone have a good high res picture of a beret, shaped well?

You will be taught all these things on basic training. Don't worry about it yet... that being said...

1. You need to make a tiny cut in front of the stiffener. Somone will show you how to do this.

2. No need to. For now, you can mark your name there so you know it's your beret. In the future, you will rip the entire liner out. Not yet though.

3. The beret is worn two fingers above the eyes (Eyes, not eyebrows), and two fingers above the ears. The excess fabric is pulled over the right ear. Don't worry about forming your beret until your basic training course, you will screw it up (Not intended as an insult, but a simple statement. You'll also screw it up the first time you form it, and it will likely look more or less like crap for the duration of your basic training anyway. Most new recruits have to form their beret three or four times to get it right.)

Hey man, hows it going? I've been working on my beret too. ok to put your badge on it you'll see a little section at the front thats outlined with stitching and has a round part stitched inside as well, take a razor or something and cut a little slit at the top of the rounded part and just slide the badge in. im not sure what tag you're talking about, but dont take it out, also some people say to cutout the liner, dont does this before we got to BMQ man, they kick our asses for it my MCprl told me to wait till after the summer before I do that, also when forming it, wear it in the shower and keep smoothing it down, badge above the left eye, and make sure the flap doesnt go too far past your ear, if you can try and avoid that at all.

Just tie it in a double knotted bow, and tuck the loops and ends under your beret.

Technically, if you rip your liner out, you're modifying equipment belonging to the crown, which you're not allowed to do.

On the other hand, as a rule of thumb, when you turn in your kit, you keep your beret. Because no one wants your beat up used beret. So no one cares.

I had my liner ripped out before I started basic, only one instructor ever said anything to me about it... my beret looked particularly good... so he told me to remove it... noted the fact that I didn't have a liner... asked me where it was... "It must have fallen out, I'll pass in a lost kit form this afternoon master-corpral."

Of course, this particular instructor, while a prick, also had a very sarcastic sense of humor, so he just glared at me for a second and told me to put my beret back on...

Just leave your liner in, and don't worry about shaping it until basic training. They'll teach you everything there.

Is the badge suppose to go all the way to the bottom of the beret, or is it a few cm up from the leather?

Back