• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Benefits Cut...

I'll mention politicians... Isn't it nice how they are leading from the front with all of the cuts to their own benefits? And the way they equalized their pension?

I think I managed to get an entire month's worth of sarcasm out in just two sentences.

This was mentioned on another forum:

While we're at it, let's cut the Family Care Assistance too.  Talk about personal choices.... 

Adam said:
I'm trying to help a friend of mine who is caught in a tough situation.  My friend and I worked together for the last year, he was injured on BMQ and was attached to my unit while he recovered.  He recently left his wife and 3 young children to attend BMQ.  Today, the staff told him he would be required to pay Rations & Quarters and would loose all his separation benefits due to the new policy.  He can not afford to attend BMQ/QL 3.  How on earth does Ottawa expect all these Privates with families to survive.

This guy was one of the best hard working troops I have ever worked.  And I would hate to see his family evicted from the Q's because he has to pay for $600 for the five star accommodations in St Jean.  I think he has grounds for a grievance but I need advice on what steps I should take to help.

I posted my understanding of the CF griev system/how it would apply/work WRT this situation here followed by what is, IMO, a good point of view from Occam.

If COs and DGCFGA are flooded with grievances by people on prohibited status, etc, perhaps this would be deemed a 'systemic' issue that would see involvement from other org's outside the CF, such as CF Grievance Board, Office of the Ombudsmen, etc.

My overall point on the grievance submission is, even if the CDS as FA agreed with the griev, he cannot 'grant redress'.  Therefore, submitting a grievance in itself would not result in a change of anything in the short term.

I am still hopeful there will be an amendment to follow that will result in the reversal of the "rations NOT at public expense for those prohibited with D, HG and E at their place of enrolment", and to MSCs on prohibited as well (sorry, forgot about you folks until reading Verns posts).  Those are the actual "prohibited" folks, IMO.

I don't think there is a hope in hell for any amendment other than this one, and it is the one, IMO, that should be made without question.

MedCorps said:
Do you know how much easier my life would have been as a Pl Comd / OC / CO if all of my Privates (and Subalterns for that matter) were single and did not have dependents?  My productivity would have gone up 200% from the lack of admin BS in dealing with all of these problems that families in Privates cause.

Oh... it would be like a fantasy leadership and management world.... sigh... now back to reality.

MC
Wow that is some fantastic support for your subordinates. Glad I wont be one of yours 
Apologies did not read the full comment. Yes it would be nice but it is the reality we live with.
Thanks George

Teeps74 said:
I'll mention politicians... Isn't it nice how they are leading from the front with all of the cuts to their own benefits? And the way they equalized their pension?

I think I managed to get an entire month's worth of sarcasm out in just two sentences.

:salute:

PMedMoe said:
I agree.  I heard CBSA is getting some of these cuts as well.  I'd love to know to what extent, since they used to get more than we did.  And don't even mention politicians....  ::)

Border Services employees are represented by PSAC, which follows the NJC Relocation Directive as part of their collective agreement.  No change there....yet.

Occam said:
Border Services employees are represented by PSAC, which follows the NJC Relocation Directive as part of their collective agreement.  No change there....yet.

Of course not.

wesleyd said:
Wow that is some fantastic support for your subordinates. Glad I wont be one of yours.

Guess that that all passed right over your head.  Give it some time to sink in.

Teeps74 said:

:salute:

It's not just a job it's a calling; do it for your country ish comments are a slippery slope.
What about discussing canceling foreign service pay? Serving Canada overseas is an honour and deploying overseas is a part of the job- maybe members shouldn't get monetary bonus's for doing so.

Or after members take so many trips to the MIR they start getting docked pay for the amount of time they miss work. Because we all know people that spend what seems to be most of their career in and out of there- how much money is being wasted THAT way.

"My partner's career shouldn't suffer because of mine" isn't a valid excuse. Moving from a big city with a big city job to a base is obviously going to suck for someone with a career that's not easily picked up again on a base/small town.  That's a decision a couple has to make.  If the military member does not want their spouses career to suffer because of them then they should consider leaving the military. I'm not saying if you don't like it, quit. But getting posted to different places IS a part of the job.

I'm not THAT heart broken over a single dude with 1 year in getting posted somewhere because someone else in line for the position has a spouse, kids, house- but that can easily be abused.I think what they do to married service couples is shit however.

ObedientiaZelum said:
"My partner's career shouldn't suffer because of mine" isn't a valid excuse. Moving from a big city with a big city job to a base is obviously going to suck for someone with a career that's not easily picked up again on a base/small town.  That's a decision a couple has to make.  If the military member does not want their spouses career to suffer because of them then they should consider leaving the military. I'm not saying if you don't like it, quit. But getting posted to different places IS a part of the job.

I think it is valid, and thats why I said that there should be an option other than IR. If the CF wants to hold on to the people it values, then it needs to offer up some flexibility.

In my situation, if push comes to shove, I will pay OUT OF POCKET to go on an unacommpanied posting.

Had a nice chat with a higher up last night. If it does any good, they are not pleased with this either.

Jim Seggie said:
Had a nice chat with a higher up last night. If it does any good, they are not pleased with this either.

I've heard this a few times. While it is nice to hear, I want to hear that they are doing something about it. I would be happy with a message about recognizing the financial burden on members and that they are exploring ways to mirage it. Instead we get, "the cf offers great compensation, etc".

Tony Manifold said:
I've heard this a few times.
Yes, we've all heard no end of repetition here.

I want to hear that they are doing something about it.
And are you doing anything about it?
You know, "seek out and accept responsibility" -- looking at various courses of action just in case the government doesn't start off next week with a message saying, "Ha! No one expected an April Fools' prank in August!"

Or, as it appears, you and several others are spending your days here, endlessly repeating "woe is me; the government sucks; I'm going to quit.....right after I'm forced to drown my cats."

Yes it sucks; no one is arguing that point. 
Now show familiarity with a professional military ethic and do something about it!

This isn't aimed specifically at TM, but rather at the "collective" who have managed to spend 24 pages (with no end in sight) with precious little useful advice for the way ahead.

So the higher ups are not pleased. I have heard this a couple of times, but my question is this:
- did TB ask for something to be cut and DND gave them IR; or
- did TB do a scan and told DND "You will cut SE and Food from pers on IR and no, you cannot question this"

Wow! As a new recruit yet to even go to BMQ. I'm shocked as what I am reading. I currently live in one of the poorest provinces, I came from one of the richest provinces. The more money you make the more you spend. I have a spouse, two dogs a house and a car. I did it all on less then I will be paid in the forces. I shocked at the amount of new and current recruits that are complaining so much about budget cuts. All it takes is a smart money managing, living within your means.

We need to ask ourselves, why we joined. What do we get out of it? I know I get a free education in a job that the majority of the population will never experience. I will be payed competitively solely based upon my performance, and with that comes great benefits, and a great pension. I don't have to pay a gym to maintain good physical health. My wife and children will be looked after should something happen to me. All my tools for my trade will be payed for. I never need to look for another job, nor do I need to worry about losing one, unless by my own faults. There is numerous tax benefits provided to be, simply because I am serving my country, and that's just federal. There are numerous advantages from civilian store owners.

Now I don't know nearly as much as most of you, and I'm not claiming too. From where I am sitting it seems like I'll be getting a lot, and if that's what it take is to pay for my food and bed, to be part of such and exciting career, and have the chance to proudly stand for my country. I'd say I'm getting off easy. I didn't join for the money, i joined for the opportunity to do something worth while with my life, to have the opportunity to help others in need. To defend my rights of freedom, and above all to stand against those that oppose those rights where ever it may be. Not everthing in life will be a cake walk, sometimes you have to eat crow. When life hands you lemons, freeze them and turn them into weapons!  :p

dennmu said:
Wow! As a new recruit yet to even go to BMQ. I'm shocked as what I am reading. I currently live in one of the poorest provinces, I came from one of the richest provinces. The more money you make the more you spend. I have a spouse, two dogs a house and a car. I did it all on less then I will be paid in the forces. I shocked at the amount of new and current recruits that are complaining so much about budget cuts. All it takes is a smart money managing, living within your means.

We need to ask ourselves, why we joined. What do we get out of it? I know I get a free education in a job that the majority of the population will never experience. I will be payed competitively solely based upon my performance, and with that comes great benefits, and a great pension. I don't have to pay a gym to maintain good physical health. My wife and children will be looked after should something happen to me. All my tools for my trade will be payed for. I never need to look for another job, nor do I need to worry about losing one, unless by my own faults. There is numerous tax benefits provided to be, simply because I am serving my country, and that's just federal. There are numerous advantages from civilian store owners.

Now I don't know nearly as much as most of you, and I'm not claiming too. From where I am sitting it seems like I'll be getting a lot, and if that's what it take is to pay for my food and bed, to be part of such and exciting career, and have the chance to proudly stand for my country. I'd say I'm getting off easy. I didn't join for the money, i joined for the opportunity to do something worth while with my life, to have the opportunity to help others in need. To defend my rights of freedom, and above all to stand against those that oppose those rights where ever it may be. Not everthing in life will be a cake walk, sometimes you have to eat crow. When life hands you lemons, freeze them and turn them into weapons!  :p

Single guy eh? Without a wife and kids to feed I bet.

ArmyVern said:
I have a spouse, two dogs a house and a car. I did it all on less then I will be paid in the forces.
Single guy eh? Without a wife and kids to feed I bet.
Turn off the computer and go to TGIF.

Or have a Kitkat; you know how you can be when you're hungry.  ;D

Back