• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Becoming a Combat Engineer Thread - Merged

Craig M, I can't answer about the diploma aspect as I am a applicant myself.

I also applied for Engineer Officer, and I don't have a degree specifically in Engineering (Physics and Math related degrees).

There are 12 Officer positions this upcoming selection board, and a estimated 36 applicants. Since they prefer to have people with Engineering degrees, the odds look pretty steep to me. But there is not harm in trying is there? Make sure you pick a second choice and third choice that you are going to love.

Craig M said:
I was wondering if anyone knows how often people with diplomas are considered for Engineering officers?   Was/is this practice part of the CEOTP?

"The preferred degree is a Bachelor of Civil, Mechanical, or Electrical (Power) Engineering. A Bachelor degree in Science (Applied), Math, Physics, Chemical/Fuels and Materials, Fire Protection, Nuclear, Geomatics/Survey Engineering or Engineering Management may also be considered. Occasionally applicants with a three-year Community College Technology Diploma in Architectural Engineering, Water and Air Resources, Heating and Air Conditioning, Civil Engineering, Communication Engineering, or Mechanical Engineering are considered.   All applicants must meet Canadian Forces (CF) medical and physical fitness standards, and go through a selection process, which includes tests and interviews."
http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/engraph/army/jobs_e.aspx

No degree = not eligible to apply.

Pieman said:
I don't have a degree specifically in Engineering (Physics and Math related degrees).

I got Sig O with my physics degree... I don't think your phys-math degree will be frowned upon, that's an excellent one with plenty of relevance IMHO.

I was working with someone (who is now on phase trg for 46 airfield engineer) who just has a diploma, but is working towards a degree part-time.  I am also a currently a 46 with a BSc in Forestry.  You can always try to make a case for yourself.....

I got Sig O with my physics degree... I don't think your phys-math degree will be frowned upon, that's an excellent one with plenty of relevance IMHO

There may be hope for me yet! Nice to hear.

Craig M, what kind of diploma do you have?

It's a Mechanical Engineering Technology diploma.  I know that I can take 2 more years of schooling and get the Eng. degree but it's just not feasible right now to commit to fulltime schooling.

It's a Mechanical Engineering Technology diploma.   I know that I can take 2 more years of schooling and get the Eng. degree but it's just not feasible right now to commit to fulltime schooling.

If going Officer is not possible, then have you considered joining as a NCM? With that background you would make a exceptional Sapper I would imagine.

If you plan on making the Army a long term career, then you can upgrade your education with CF support and get the Engineering degree later on. Going Officer after that is also possible. Something to consider.

Anyway, Talk to a recruiter about the exact impact your diploma would have on your career.

I was just wondering if the six different engineering positions in the various elements are profesionally licensed engineers.
The reason i'm asking is because i'm being considered for an engineering position but am not a licensed engineer.  If you enter as a DEO do they further educate/train you to become a full fledged engineer?

Before you can become a professionally licenced engineer (PEng), you need a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited university, plus several years of relevant work experience under a professional engineer. The amount of time depends which province you practice in (it's 4 years in Alberta, under our regulating body, APEGGA)

Some officer trades in the forces will get you there, but I don't have any specific details.

A friend of mine did ROTP for the Aerospace Engineer trade at a civilian university (we went to the same uni, but I'm reserves and not doing anything engineering related in the CF). I'll ask him about how it'll work for him for getting his P.Eng next time I talk to him, but that may be a while as he's off doing trades training and I'm on predeployment. Hopefully someone else will be able to pop in and answer your question in more detail than I have.

<Edit: spelling>

Not entirely accurate. I am a physicist, and was a PEng for years (It was a requirement). If you go to http://www.peo.on.ca/, you'll see the requirements. You can do it with another "hard science" degree.

To expand a bit on what others have said, some of the CF trades with "engineer" in their names are engineering jobs as you would think of engineers on civvy street, with the appropriate degree, but others aren't.   Without looking at the recruiting literature, I would say that generally officers in engineering MOCs will have an engineering degree, and may be in a position to work towards professional certification as engieers, while NCMs will not.   There are always exceptions, of course.

Those who become professional engineers with another degree typically have to take some additional courses in engineering ethics, law, and perhaps other areas.  This is determined by the provincial or territorial association to which the indiovidual is applying.

I believe the four-year experience figure mentionned above is now standard in all provinces and territories.

My provincial association (New Brunswick) has made a point of building a relationship with the CF School of Military Engineering (located at CFB Gagetown) in the hopes of having more military members.

rnkelly said:
I was just wondering if the six different engineering positions in the various elements are professionally licensed engineers.
They can be licenced, but it is not required.  It would be up to the member to pursue this if the licence was desired, and fees would be paid for by the member.

Thanks for the input guys.
I was just wondering because I am being considered for the EME position and my degree is in physics.  My view is that it wouldn't be worth it if I didn't come out being a professional engineer.

rnkelly said:
...My view is that it wouldn't be worth it if I didn't come out being a professional engineer.

That is a fantastic reason to join!   ::)   I'm sure you started your enrollment process prior to this "PEng" idea popping into your head so you must have other reasons for wanting to enroll.   If not, well, you will likely find it much easier to attain that PEng designation in the civvy world.

Some NCM's do in fact hold a civilian licence.  My hubby is an Engineer.......He is an AME. In the military he is a Flight Engineer.  In fact there are quite a few technicians that have their Professional License.  With the military experience the board lets them challenge the exams.  Once they pass the exams they have to get hours on a civilian aircraft.  So that means allot of hard work and dedication.

rnkelly said:
Thanks for the input guys.
I was just wondering because I am being considered for the EME position and my degree is in physics.  My view is that it wouldn't be worth it if I didn't come out being a professional engineer.

Well I would pull my application now, I don't think the troops you would lead as Maint Pl Comd would appreciate the fact that their leader is only there to get 4 letters after his name..  Here is a list of programs that you need a degree to be considered for the first step in becoming a P Eng
http://www.ccpe.ca/e/acc_programs_2.cfm
Unless you're talking Engineering Physics, your degree isn't on there.

I just meant that if the engineering job doesn't require you to be a profesionnal engineer it probably isn't a true engineering job.  Anyways, for those of us that are thinking about joining the military without much military experience have to find out as much info as possible and see if we'll fit well with the military.
(for the sake of the forces and ourselves)

rnkelly said:
I just meant that if the engineering job doesn't require you to be a profesionnal engineer it probably isn't a true engineering job.  

After 11 years in the canadian military ENGINEERS i can say this : your comment reflect your lack of knowledge about the CF and are also very insulting.  Get some life experience before you go around saying shit like that.

whoa,
  It's different in the military but in civvy world especially nowadays if the job doens't require Peng, chances are you're not an engineer. Now that i look back at what i wrote i suppose it could be interpreted as being arrogant/ignorant.  Sorry to offend anyone.  I shouldn't have said that it wouldn't be worth it if you aren't a Peng but I am just trying to get a feel for what the job entails because if the job isn't what i think a engineering job is then i would be wasting a lot time, not just mine.

So i suppose that designing bridges, roads and buildings, running quarries, calculation weigth capacity for existing bridges, building roads, calculating explosive requirements, designing rope bridges, etc, etc...are not what you consider engineering work hey ?

Back