• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic training

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exodia

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just to introduce myself to the group, my name is Will Johnson. Several months ago I was fortunate to be offered a job in the CF as a medical technician, which after some surprised silence I accepted eagerly. I get sworn in Aug.24, and then basic starts on Sept.11 (not sure what that says...but meh).

One thing that I am concerned about is the express test....the reason I am concerned about it is that I failed it a couple of times when I tried to get in roughly 8 years ago, that was when fitness was tested before you actually got to go to basic. Well now as you all know, the express test is given after you get to basic.

I have been working really hard to get into shape for this, but I am still a little concerned that it will be not enough....I am 37 years old, my weight has dropped a LOT. I used to weigh over 300lbs. Im down to below 275 now....Im a big strong powerful guy. Situps and pushups and the grip test are soo easy...but its my heart rate im concerned about. When I handed in all my paperwork, I had echo cardiograms, stress tests on my heart, all are completely normal.

I ride a bike thirty kilomters eery day and get on the eliptical machine for 36 minutes a day as well, and my heart rate is staying fairly high. What gives with that? I have been working really hard, but I fear it may not be enough. I should also tell you all that I have been doing this for almost a year...

How tall are you?

Anyway, I don't know what the best advice is, but if you can do everything else pretty easily, and then give the express test everything you've got.  If you fail, they -- as far as I know -- put you into a fitness level program for a bit (I don't know all the details exactly but I had a buddy do it and it's mentioned in the Phsyical Fitness booklet they gave me at the recruiting center).  So long as you're pretty close to the standard, you should be able to take advantage of this program to get you over the hump.

Just another thing, the best time to measure your resting heart rate accurately is in the morning, just after you've awakened, while your still in bed.

Any other time of day, you won't get a good count.

Good luck.

I would think that 65-70 is fairly normal.

As a male over 35 if you do not meet the CF Expres standard you will be posted to the Warrior Preparation Company (WPC) for 30 days (with pay) and will be given the opportunity to try the test again.  After 3 tries (90 days) of WPC if you still do not meet the fitness standard you will be released.

For those reading who are under 35, you must pass the threshold fitness test to go to WPC if you fail the Expres test.  Your recruiting centre has the exact details.

Yeah, thats the part that scares me a little, getting posted to WPC and not making any inroads at all. Oh well, all I can do is try my best and not give up.

A textbook heartrate is 72 bpm for a healthy male in any stage of life. Typically the lower your heart rate gets the better shape you are in. Your heart does not need to beat as fast to supply your body with oxygenated blood. Gordie Howe was in the 50 bpm range when he was playing hockey.

Well the countdown is on now, I just am going to keep on the bike and keep doing the eliptical. It is for the better no matter what happens anyway..exercise is good for you no matter the reason.  :nod:

Tons of info already posted pertaining to this stuff. Do a search or look around.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back