• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic and trade at the same time?

Vladimer

Inactive
Reaction score
hey guys, well just a question for you all, i have my recruitment booklet and all ready to be filled out, but there was a stand at my school, one of those tables to hand out info and all, and i went to ask him when the latest i could hand in my forms to be able to go to soldier qualification in january so i would be able to take basic this upcomming summer and he ended up telling me that if i handed it in quick, they have some new program were you spend i think it was 6 weeks (not 100% sure on that, think it was 6) at the base and you do your basic traning and also your trades training right after or at the same time or whatever it was, i've personally never heard of this and the recruiter i went to get my forms never told me about this either, but i personally would take it if it ment i took 6 weeks in the summer and could do both things in that time,

does anyone have any info about this? i was planning to go into artillery, im in calgary alberta, and the recruiter said i would probably do basic here, in edmonton, or a 3rd one which i dont remember the name of, but on my recruitment form under the trades, it said the only place they teach the artillery trade is in red deer, so if that whole basic+trades thing did work, how would i manage to do basic and the trade at the same time since there at diffrent bases,

hope i made myself clear and thanks for any advice/help with this

You can't do Soldier Qualification before your Basic Military Qualification, you do BMQ(your basic training) first, than you move on to SQ and trades training.

I've never heard of anyone being able to do BMQ and their QL3 at the same time, maybe he ment that during the summer you can get both courses done, like July you do your BMQ an in Augest you do your QL3 Artillery training.

Vladimer said:
i was planning to go into artillery, im in calgary alberta, and the recruiter said i would probably do basic here, in edmonton, or a 3rd one which i dont remember the name of, but on my recruitment form under the trades, it said the only place they teach the artillery trade is in red deer, so if that whole basic+trades thing did work, how would i manage to do basic and the trade at the same time since there at diffrent bases,

I don't think they run the Artillery QL3 in Red Deer, probably the closest it would be is in Wainwright.  The closest reserve artillery unit is in Red Deer, which would mean that you would have commute Weds nights and the parade weekend.  It isn't easy, but it can be done.  I know of 2 people who did that, but both have gotten out.

ah ok, sorry about that, i thought soldier qualification was like your physical and all, one of the infantry instructers said that i'd do my sq around january and then basic in the summer, guess he ment your physical and aplitude test, if you dont mind me asking what is solder qualification? since you did your basic training isint that like your qualification?

and ya, thats what i thought too, not sure what he was talking about since it sounded pretty good, and he said that in the summer you would be able to make about $6-7k which is way more then like the $2-3k i expected, and do you get paid for doing basic? like the 1 month or so you spend doing basic, do you get paid for that?

edit: and for the latest post, wainwright was the 3rd base she said i could be doing basic in (calgary, edmonton, or wainwright) but i found my forms (plan to go to the reserves, not reg forces) and under the "army reserve" trades, it says "artillery (avilable only in red deer) for transportation wise, i'd probably have to find my own way of getting there right? since they probably dont offer and transportation for you correct?

The info for BMQ an SQ is all over these forums, but I'm in a good mood, so

You get paid for all your time put into the military, every parade night, weekend FTX, basic training, etc.

Basic Military Qualification(Basic Training) - You will learn the basics of how to be a soldier, how to wear a uniform, foot an rifle drill, rank, NBC, qualify on the C7 rifle, military law, naviigation, etc, etc

Soldier Qualification - you will do dismounted patrollls, offensiive an defensive ops, some recce, shoot different weapons, live in a trench, etc.

As for transport, to get to a parade/training night, that would be up to you, but for going away on course your unit may provide that. When I did my basic training, everyone from my unit going on the course met up at the armoury, than we got driven to the base where we would do our basic training, after that we lived on the base.

Back