• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ballistic Glasses do a great job

Bintheredunthat

Inactive
Reaction score
Did a search and could not find this already.  And I'm aware this one could easily be moved.

Saw this today - DWAN access required of course - http://kingston.mil.ca/notices/2007/10/ballistic_glasses.asp  (NOT FOR THE LIGHT OF STOMACH TYPE)

For those with no DWAN access:

<<Sgt Murgais, from 5 RGC, has given his permission to use the photos for whatever the CF wishes. Yes please do use them to demonstrate the importance of the ballistic eyewear.

One of the Leos with mine rollers was clearing a route through a known Russian minefield. It was backing out of part of the cleared area and turned slightly. As it turned one of the rollers left the cleared area by a few inches and went over an anti-tank mine. The majority of the mine was not under the rollers and contained about 6kg of explosive.

Sgt Murgais was standing dismounted, at what was believed to be the edge of the minefield, observing the tank. The roller was about 5m away from him when the mine went off.

The majority of the damage to his face was done by the sand and small rocks propelled by the blast. If you look closely at the BEWs you can see several deep marks from small rocks that would have injured his eyes if not blinded him.>>

Capt Bruce Gilchrist
OL Tech
QG FOI-Afg Roto 4

<end text>

Perhaps someone else can add the photo.

Bin

Lumadue said:
link doesn't work

The link works. You, however, are trying to view it on a computer that does not have access to the Defence network. That's what Bin meant by
DWAN access required of course

Put a two inch gash in mine on my last night nav. I like them now.

Amongst the troops I support, we have had a case of an eye injury where the person has had a decrease in his vision for 6 months caused by a foriegn body projectile from an explosion, and 3 cases of eyewear preventing eye injuries from anything ranging from blast, mg cook off, etc.

No one questions the need for protective eyewear, and compliance with wearing them is close to 100%

I personaly am a huge fan of protective eye wear...just not the issue kind  ;)

I'm with HitorMiss

I doubt anyone will disagree over the usefulness of ballastic eye wear.  The CF issue eye wear however has been known to give soldiers headaches and nausea and the arms scratch the hell out of the inside of the lenses making them very difficult to see out of and requiring replacement.

Flawed Design said:
I'm with HitorMiss

I doubt anyone will disagree over the usefulness of ballistic eye wear.  The CF issue eye wear however has been known to give soldiers headaches and nausea and the arms scratch the hell out of the inside of the lenses making them very difficult to see out of and requiring replacement.

I haven't heard about the headaches and what not and I wear mine all the time not just in the field, the arms scratching the lenses however I ran into but when I exchanged them they issued me a different cover that covers the lenses only and it works great

not to mention the so called 'anti-fog' spray? well it don't work!  :rage: multiple cleanings with that thing and it STILLLLLL fogs up like no tomorrow! I could barely shoot with mine on all I saw was white mist and then Fig.11 *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang* *bang*  then more haze! UGH! I hate mine :(

Hmmmm I did not intend for my post to turn this into BEW bashing tread..... I was more making a joke about my Oakley's but I digress

I don't think you will meet a member who has any real world experience that would not agree that some form of Ballistic eye wear is not needed. It's a 100% necessary piece of kit regardless of who makes them.

HitorMiss what do you think of the idea of the CF taking 3 or 4 different styles or brands of BEW and offering it to the soldiers.

Or, since that would be a huge issue and supply headache, offer the regular BEW as issued eye wear however allow soldiers to, at cost to themselves, buy approved  brands of eye wear such as Oakley M frames or wiley X's or something.

Flawed Design said:
HitorMiss what do you think of the idea of the CF taking 3 or 4 different styles or brands of BEW and offering it to the soldiers.

Or, since that would be a huge issue and supply headache, offer the regular BEW as issued eye wear however allow soldiers to, at cost to themselves, buy approved  brands of eye wear such as Oakley M frames or wiley X's or something.

That'll work out, I'm sure...just think of boots.......

Well as much as I don't like wearing them (I don't like wearing anything strapped to my head) I would still never go without them given my absolute fear of being blind and all.  I already have on a helmet and in most cases a vehicle headset so it makes very little comfort difference adding the BEW so you might as well use them and you just might save your eyesight!

The problem with issuing one piece of kit and authorising private purchase and wear of something else is .... what happens when the personal kit fails and your injury claim shows up.  Veteran affairs & CF HR Mil may feel that if the CFs kit had been worn, your injury wouldn't have happened and reject or reduce your claim ....

Alternatives aren't worth it.

Flawed Design said:
The CF issue eye wear however has been known to give soldiers headaches and nausea 
That is only the perscription inserts, which IMHO are shit...if you think one layer of plastic fogs, try 2 with an open space between them, allowing sweat to flow between lenses.

and the arms scratch the hell out of the inside of the lenses making them very difficult to see out of and requiring replacement.
Only if not carefully put away, but as they need to be on your face most times...

As for the fogging problem, even high speed Oakleys, ESS, Wileys etc fog when you are doing up-he sees-me-down over and over again.

I  think we need issued ballistic goggles as well as glasses, there are times when goggles are better.

IMG_3337-1.jpg

Oakleys's and Bolle T800 Goggles...  Dont leave home w/o them.

IIRC the CF was issuing the T800 - I was issued a set when in the CF, and as well they had sets at the Sims house in Edmonton for those not issued when not doing force on force with the helmet...

I will agree with SMTT - Anything will fog when its 10x the heat of the sun and your sweating like a pig...

+1 on always wearing ballistic eyewear. Like everything the CF does, they need to reinvent the wheel so instead of buying proven designs like Oakley or Wiley (hate them) they get some el cheapo glasses with distortion.

I wear m-frames or t800s. Before a mission I wipe down the lenses with Op Drops, seems to reduce fogging.

Our glasses are a civilian design, Revision Sawfly. Revision makes a goggle too.

I also forgot to mention the CF glasses have extremely low LCF.  If you're going out to kill might as well look good while you do it.

Big Red said:
I wear m-frames or t800s. Before a mission I wipe down the lenses with Op Drops, seems to reduce fogging.

Thanks Kevin!!

But the rest of this thread is:

TTWWOP.gif

Back