• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ballistic eyewear

charlee

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I've been searching for information on the Canadian Forces ballistic eyewear.

I found a link describing it: http://www.forces.gc.ca/aete/ballisticeyewear-lunettesdeprotectionbalistique-eng.asp

On the page, it mentions "A corrective lens carrier for most prescriptions. NOTE: Prescriptions that cannot be accommodated are covered under CF Medical Policy MSI CF1000-213"

I've been searching for this CF Medical Policy MSI CF1000-213 but cannot find it.  All the links I've found are broken.

Does the CF still issue these glasses out?  If yes, I just want to see if my prescription is compatible.  It would be wonderful if someone were to help me locate this file.

charlee said:
Hi, I've been searching for information on the Canadian Forces ballistic eyewear.

I found a link describing it: http://www.forces.gc.ca/aete/ballisticeyewear-lunettesdeprotectionbalistique-eng.asp

On the page, it mentions "A corrective lens carrier for most prescriptions. NOTE: Prescriptions that cannot be accommodated are covered under CF Medical Policy MSI CF1000-213"

I've been searching for this CF Medical Policy MSI CF1000-213 but cannot find it.  All the links I've found are broken.

Does the CF still issue these glasses out?  If yes, I just want to see if my prescription is compatible.  It would be wonderful if someone were to help me locate this file.

Yes, BEWs are still used. In my case, I brought my prescription to the base hospital, where it was sent to an optician's shop and a blank set of of inserts were machined to spec. The inserts are mounted inwards of the ballistic lens.

Why would you suspect that your prescription wouldn't be compatible?

Thank you for the information Brasidas.  I want to know which prescription level would not be compatible with the BEWs because I believe my glasses prescription is at -8 (that's all the information I know off hand), and it required to, I can still see fine at a lesser prescription level.

Unless you are already in the CF I wouldn't worry about it, but I'm assuming you aren't.  Might be other things to be thinking about rather than the BEW and BEW inserts.

Well, I already have my CFAT, medical, and interview done.  Just last week they called me and I had to fill out a security clearance form.  Not much else to do.  I've been reading the forums a lot and just thinking ahead, good no?

There are inserts available for the C-4 Gas mask, and the standard issue BEW. You won't get either of these until you get to your unit, or until you get on a QL3 course that requires the use of them. I'd hold off worrying about them until you start your 3's.

I was issued with a pair similar to those you've mentioned and linked too (although they could have been different, since I was with the Australians, after all). They took a fair while to be made to my prescription and I managed to lose them somewhere in the North Pacific ocean. Getting my replacements took about two months, and by then I had already went out and bought a pair of Wiley X frames with prescription lenses. Not only did I get them faster, but they were much more secure (coming with both arms and an elastic strap), aesthetically pleasing and remarkably comfortable. They can be a little pricey, but for the use you get out of them, I personally think it's worth it - but do shop around, you can often find second-hand/wholesale frames and just pay retail for the lenses.

I'd wait to see what they can provide you with, you may like them, but keep in mind there are other options out there if you need/desire them. My brother, who is CF, switched to Wiley X as well - and never went back.

If only a decent set of aviators came with ballistic lenses... One can always dream...

You might need to wait until bases actually start restocking their ballistics, seems they're out of stock everywhere anyway

charlee said:
Thank you for the information Brasidas.  I want to know which prescription level would not be compatible with the BEWs because I believe my glasses prescription is at -8 (that's all the information I know off hand), and it required to, I can still see fine at a lesser prescription level.

-8?  Don't worry about glasses.  They can issue you bino's or a spotting scope instead  ;D

Back