• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bachelor of Technology in Construction Management

pfinlayson

Inactive
Reaction score
I am planning to apply to one of the two local reserve Engineer units (Vancouver area, 6 FES or 192 Flight), and am looking at my options.

I am currently enrolled in BCIT's Bachelor of Technology in Construction Management program, and am wondering if anyone has any experience with this meeting the requirements for the Engineering Officer.  On the CFRC website there seems to be some consideration for this type of training.

It is a fairly new program--less than 10 years old--so there might not be a precedent for it.  Ultimately, it would be the unit's and the CFRC's call if they have a need or use for someone with these qualifications, but I am chomping at the bit waiting for the unit to re-open after summer training.

Any comments or help appreciated.

pfinlayson said:
I am planning to apply to one of the two local reserve Engineer units (Vancouver area, 6 FES or 192 Flight), and am looking at my options.
I have known of PRes Engr to get enrolled based on a construction management diploma from a major community college.  Given that, your degree program would very likely be given good consideration - but you will need to call the recruiting centre to be sure.

You would likely find your degree more directly applicable in 192 CEF, but my understanding is that the RCAF does not recruit into PRes Const Engr (ie. if you ever meet a PRes Const Engr, his is retired Reg F).  Again, you will need to talk to the recruiting centre, but you may find that this unit is only open to you if you are ready to take a construction trade as an NCM.

pfinlayson said:

I am currently enrolled in BCIT's Bachelor of Technology in Construction Management program, and am wondering if anyone has any experience with this meeting the requirements for the Engineering Officer.  On the CFRC website there seems to be some consideration for this type of training.

It is a fairly new program--less than 10 years old--so there might not be a precedent for it.  Ultimately, it would be the unit's and the CFRC's call if they have a need or use for someone with these qualifications, but I am chomping at the bit waiting for the unit to re-open after summer training.

Any comments or help appreciated.

I've completed the B.Tech program from McMaster University and also a 2 year and 3 year Mechanical Engineering Diploma programs from George Brown College (Technician and Technologist). I dropped off my new application in January 2011 and I am still waiting on my education approval waver results. The same rules apply for all trades that require a B.Eng/BASc regardless of RegF and PRes. You’re in for a long wait but I think it's worth it. I will be missing this year’s selections so I am hoping for 2012. My new application is for RegF Construction Engineering Officer. My original application was for EME Officer PRes.

I'm starting a M.Eng in Mechanical Engineering at Ryerson University as a plan B. I am working towards my P.Eng licence; I have my CET, LEED AP and have three years of mechanical engineering experience under a P.Eng in the construction industry.

Remember to work hard and don’t get discouraged. Some times it’s hard to keep your head up but make sure you do everything you can to stand out. I was told that you are already starting at a lower merit because the degree is not on the approved list. If I receive any new information regarding my waiver I will let you know. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

MCG said:
you may find that this unit is only open to you if you are ready to take a construction trade as an NCM.

Entering as a Construction Tech is a strong plan B for me.  I am a ticketed Carpenter with a wide range of experience--including five plus years as a foreman--and some night school (that's one of the paths which BCIT will accept applicants to this program). 

One of the big factors for me is developing my leadership and management skill, so I would have an eye on becoming a Construction Engineering Supt or Officer, however long that may take.

DanKnee said:
I'm starting a M.Eng in Mechanical Engineering at Ryerson University as a plan B.

Were able to get into this program solely based off your B.Tech, or is your CET a big factor?

You may want to look into whether a B.Tech meets the requirements as an engineering degree for licensing with your Provincial Association. If it does not, then more than likely it won't meet the requirements for any of the Engineering Officer trades either.

From what I can tell from the McMaster Web site I don't think it meets those requirements. Especially where it is a separate program from Engineering.

I have been in to speak with the recruiting officer at 6 FES in North Vancouver.  He believes that the the B.Tech in Construction Management that I'm in will meet the requirements under the Engineering Management mentioned on forces.ca.  We are moving forward on those grounds and I expect to find out around the start of the next fiscal year.

Fair enough, but doesn't hurt to double check with your Provincial Association and get their take as well, or talk with an Engineering Officer in the CF.

As for registering for a P.Eng. I'd definitely talk with the Provincial Association.

Back