• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aviation Systems Technician ( AVN Tech )

kwright15 said:
Is there any chance of getting posted in Trenton?

Just as good a chance as going to Cold lake, Greenwood, Shearwater, Comox, Bagottville, Winnipeg..........

In a word, yes. Just like there is a chance of going to Comox, Cold Lake, Shearwater, Moose Jaw, Winnipeg. See where I am going with this? And from my experience nine times out of ten people from Ontario (especially Toronto) will put Trenton as a first preference. Bottom line, you go where the CF requires you to go at that particular moment. As a courtesy, they ASK you your preferences, but there is no guarantee you will go there. And don't let the whole story about the person with top marks always getting first pick. I know people on courses where the top student did not get any of their three preferences. It is always good to research with your spouse the places that they have a possibility of getting posted to. I am amazed at how many people join up and it is not until after starting their courses that they discover the "existence" of places such as Cold Lake.

We lived in PMQs in Borden until last June, and they were far from full.  About 1/3 to 1/2 were empty, based on the unshovelled driveways, and emergency lights that were hanging in the front windows.  A friend was told that they had no more two-bedrooms, only three BRs, and all she was entitled to was a 2, so she was out of luck.  I personally could see about 7 empty 3 BRs from my kitchen window.

If you're a married/CL person, you should be able to get a 3 BR.  My friend was single, hence only entitled to a 2.

But yeah, the PAT situation is a tough slog.  From what I heard,  most of the married folks managed to eventually get their families to Borden if they wanted.  Seemed like every second person I met in the Qs was the spouse of a student at CFSATE! 

I took me 2 months to get my Q when I arrived in Borden Jan '06 and I heard thats pretty standard if not better than to get all the paperwork sorted out.

I am currently in Borden on my QL3 course for AVN as a no hook private, and graduate mid June. I am being posted to CFB Moose Jaw, 431Sqd. I'm curious to know what it's like starting out at the sqd, just coming out of QL3's (like work environment)...Also, curious to know what the life in Moose Jaw is like (what's there to do), never been there before, but have heard good things so far, and what are the single quarters like?  :cdn:

Moose Jaw living is what you make out of it.  The town itself is a good size - with Regina under an hour away to the East.

When I was there, they were allowing NCMs to stay in the NFTC shacks - I heard that this has stopped.  If that is the case, there are no SQs.  The PMQ patch has been decimated, but there are still some nice row houses that you can get into - I would consider calling CFHA sooner than later.

Zoomie said:
Moose Jaw living is what you make out of it.  The town itself is a good size - with Regina under an hour away to the East.

When I was there, they were allowing NCMs to stay in the NFTC shacks - I heard that this has stopped.  If that is the case, there are no SQs.  The PMQ patch has been decimated, but there are still some nice row houses that you can get into - I would consider calling CFHA sooner than later.

There are still plenty of Qs available to live in!

Max

So there is no single quarters? I wasn't look'n to get a Q! I wanted to remain in sq's for atleast a year to build up some cash an buy a house.

wilsonland said:
So there is no single quarters? I wasn't look'n to get a Q! I wanted to remain in sq's for atleast a year to build up some cash an buy a house.

I know a few NCMs that are in the Shacks here but they are TD or Attached Posted.  It doesn't cost anything to give it a try.

Max

Had a buddy who got posted there after his 5's. Says he loves it there, housing is cheap, etc.

NINJA said:
Had a buddy who got posted there after his 5's. Says he loves it there, housing is cheap, etc.

Not so much anymore if you want to buy.

Max

Ok so I will be signing up for the air force by January in the hopes of becoming an AVN-Tech. I've been looking up as much info as possible as far as what to expect. I am excited and anxious to get under-way, however I have some questions regarding family life. I'm aware that I will be away from my wife and young son for 3 months while undergoing basic training, but when that is over, do I report to CFB Borden right away for job training? Will me wife and son be able to join me in Borden? Is military housing hard to obtain? Is it garbage? After the 54 week course is over, how much should I expect to be away from the family? Any help is greatly appreciated :salute:

Ok so i've read up on most of the posts in the link u provided, ty very much, however there are still some questions that I have unanswered. Usually how long after basic training would i go off to CFB Borden? During the 54 week period that Im attending will my wife and son be able to join me? I thought that would be the case but I saw one post that eluded to the contrary....... Any help would be immensely appreciated

once you are done Basic and you head up to Borden you will be able to bring you family with you. It is hard to say the availability of the PMQ's in Borden things are always changing . After you are done in Borden and get posted to a Sqn it is hard to say how much you will deploy some places are busier then others.

Hey cool thanks alot. One more thing though people...I'm not sure if I will continue with a military career after my 3 years are up (it all depends on how military life affects my family) so I'm kind of curious, are companies generally happy to hire former military AVN-Tech's? Will I need any other training or classes to get my skills up to par? Does a military education give you a CAMA licence or whatever the Canadian board thing is called lol

When i joined the AVN VIE(variable inital engagement) was a 5 year contract. FYI  :salute:

Ouch. Heres hoping thats not the case lol
Im heading down to the local recruitment center later this week so I'll be sure to ask about that.

Back