• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AVGP Cougar now out

GINge!

Reaction score
Picked up the Trumpeter Cougar from the local shop last week. Looks pretty good! Looks to be the first upgrade version; still has skinny tires and turret box instead of basket, but marine drive covers are installed and the dual shocks are there, so figure its accurate for a 1987-1994 +/- vehicle.

Decals are included for Canada 3-tone cammo and UNPROFOR, but I think it would also build into a Somalia version out-of-the-box. Paint scheme for the Canada one was based on a gate guard Cougar, so better to use the paint plans on armoured acorn for the camouflaged one. Engine grill looks to 'high' but the raised lip around the perimeter can be filed down without damaging the grill slats.

Goes for $32-$43. Not as complex as their LAV-TUA or LAV-III kits. Should be a good weekend build, and bodes well for the Grizzly and Husky kits that are pending release.

Pic found on-line:
10135076a.jpg

More pics:
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10135076

I just finished the kit and it was a pleasure to build.  The moldings are crisp and the details bring back a lot of memories.

Cheers.

Any pics of a completed model? I'm never very good at visualizing what a light grey model will look like when complete.

First time this kit have been available in production-run plastic. It's labelled as an early, but has some 'late' details on it such as TCCCS box. Easy enough to leave off and/or fill in the gap. Looks like it has the later sight ring for the fifty as well.

Parts and instructions here:  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10147618t2/60/2

10147618a2.jpg

Had a little accident with my Cougar. I melted a tie rod and a strut, so the front wheel got some huge negative camber and toe in.

Doh:

6744589321_e55c125e27_b.jpg

Solution...shave down the wheel hub and make it look like there was accident The rim+tire get taken off, and I will see about building a Husky to tow the Cougar with the crane and A-frame.

7014649171_dc9474b3f2_b.jpg

GINge! said:
Solution...shave down the wheel hub and make it look like there was accident The rim+tire get taken off, and I will see about building a Husky to tow the Cougar with the crane and A-frame.

Wouldn't think that was possible with a Husky. I believe the HIAB wouldn't have the lift capacity for it. I know it was even a stretch for a 5-ton to a-frame one because it took too much weight off the front wheels and made it a real bitch to steer.

Always saw an unserviceable looking 6 wheeled vehicle sitting in a parking lot on base in Kingston. Now I know what it is ;D

cupper said:
Wouldn't think that was possible with a Husky. I believe the HIAB wouldn't have the lift capacity for it. I know it was even a stretch for a 5-ton to a-frame one because it took too much weight off the front wheels and made it a real ***** to steer.

Cupper - thanks for the insight. I had heard that it was definitely not SOP to use the Husky, but, the person said he had heard of it being done. What did we use in UNPROFOR for AVGP recovery? HL Wrecker? Coalition forces recovery from Div?

You could put some guys around who look like they're working on it.

Most cases I know of they were flat bedded back to base.

My only experience with the AVGP variants was pulling a couple out of the mud in the training areas of Gagetown during MilCon.

And watching the RegF guys snap winch cables from a 113 fitter while trying to bring one back onto the pavement in freezing rain. :facepalm:

Mind you it was one of our guys that put the Husky off the road in the first place. ;D

ModlrMike said:

You'll need at least half a dozen guys, all in coveralls, holding Timmies cups. Pose at least half of them leaning against the vehicle, with hands in pockets. :nod:

Also one person in combats with a sad look on his face. ;D

ModlrMike said:

Hey Mike! How are you? Well, my figures always end up looking like extras from The Walking Dead...so I try to avoid them when possible.

This photo was my starting point:

6876211866_71b0f1474d_z.jpg

You get any riding in during the crazy warm week we had? I put almost 300km on the Ninja! Never imagined I would have it on the road before May.

GINge! said:
Cupper - thanks for the insight. I had heard that it was definitely not SOP to use the Husky, but, the person said he had heard of it being done. What did we use in UNPROFOR for AVGP recovery? HL Wrecker? Coalition forces recovery from Div?

HLVW Wrecker

GINge! said:
Hey Mike! How are you? Well, my figures always end up looking like extras from The Walking Dead...so I try to avoid them when possible.

This photo was my starting point:

6876211866_71b0f1474d_z.jpg

You get any riding in during the crazy warm week we had? I put almost 300km on the Ninja! Never imagined I would have it on the road before May.

Yeah, I'm equally figure challenged. I usually just use stock figures now and cut/glue/sculpt to suit my needs. There are some good generic sets out there that can be repurposed.

I put about 500km on these past two weeks. It's cold again now, so no riding for at least another week. I've got a couple of long trips planned this year 2 x 1400km and one 3000km.

Back