• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Autobiography Thread (merged)

• Thread starter Fogpatrol 1.0
  • Start date
TCBF said:
When I was a Platoon Commander in St. Jean, I would ask nicely if any one had wisely decided to save me valuable time by pre-writing their biography.  Some would smile and say "Yes, Warrant!"  I would then collect them and make them all do it again by hand.  Why?

1.  Pressure - you learn a lot about someone when they write under pressure.

2. No time to edit.  Amazing.  I told another instructor that if we could take a 60 man platoons  of autobiographies and show the people of Canada what some of their youth went through - the reality of life - we would have a bestseller.  You know the first half hour of "Full Metal Jacket"? That is NOTHING compared to what some kids have gone through in their home lives before joining the Army. 

3. Penmanship, Grammer, general Literacy.  Indicators of future coping problems due to FAS/ADD/ADHD/sociopathic issues, etc.  The recruits of today are tomorrows RSMs.  We are already a semi-literate Army, we can't afford to get worse. At some point, It's just bad economics to throw good money after bad.  We have to cut our losses.  Sorry.

4. I would stay that night until ALL the bios were written, then I would take them home and read them.  I would re-read about a fifth, then re-reread about one or two more.  I would get to sleep about three or four, but, it had to be done. 

Tom

I got my autobiography all written and completed. I wrote two copies just in case but that probably won't matter from the other posts I've read it looks like I will be writing yet agian another copy of my ohhh sooo extravagent life. :) (yeah right) Well good luck to all you other guys/gals that are procrastoning and waiting until the day before!! :D Plus its only 500 word not too bad!

:cheers: 

Has a recruit ever tested the theroy that the instructors don't read them?

luciano said:
Has a recruit ever tested the theroy that the instructors don't read them?

Don't you mean:

".... and lived?"

Yes, the staff read them.  And the Pl WO and Pl Comd will probably read all of them, so don't copy your buddy's from another section either.

I typed up my autobiography on computer and then transcribed it by hand.  I heard that they sometimes like to collect the papers and then make everyone redo them so I kept the typed version in my pocket. (and hoped that they wouldn't think to ask for that one) They asked for the autobiography, I handed it to them I only saw it one other time during the "getting to know you meeting" with my section leader.

With that said,  there were people who had to rewrite their autobiography 5+ times. Sometimes for sloppy handwriting, othertimes for missing key information. The rest, putting in things that don't belong.  "Well that is everything about me but I read that I need 500 words so I guess I will continue to talk about the paper oh wait, there, 500" <-- unacceptable

I was given a few tips  (okay I badgered anyone who'd ever gone to boot camp until I knew every little detail I could) including info on writing the autobiography.

Grey is good,  save outstanding for later in the course.  I was told not to ever tell them more than they requested, for example the languages I speak - and even then play it down.  (Writing in the autobiography "I speak more languages than the UN and I'm going to outrank you in a year" is a bad idea.)  I know it sounds strange not to be advised to "impress". My experience was that they were far to busy with the guys who were giving them grief to hand out cookies to the keener's. I've found it easy to simply not be noticed,  without a reason most of the staff will simply slide on by you with only passing intrest.

My autobiography is 550 words of pure pablum.  Everything they asked for, exactly as they asked for it written in a way that gives away nothing else.  I'm thinking they have to read at least 10 of these,  if mine is uninteresting - raising no red flags, it is one less thing to deal with when I'm rushing around.

Just the advice I've been given with my personal observations.  I've said it before,  I'll say it here - enjoy it, this is the fun part.

Notice to Recruit Instructors:

"Insert Quote
I typed up my autobiography on computer and then transcribed it by hand.  I heard that they sometimes like to collect the papers and then make everyone redo them so I kept the typed version in my pocket. (and hoped that they wouldn't think to ask for that one) They asked for the autobiography, I handed it to them I only saw it one other time during the "getting to know you meeting" with my section leader."

Ref the above: Don't Be Lazy!  Do NOT accept typed autobiographies!  Give out 'special' paper so previously written autobiographies cannot be handed in!

;)

Tom

I just don't understand why the panic with written vs computer written Bio.

I have a really bad hand writting...and I don't think re-writing my bio 5x times will make me a batter soldier.

Should we just get the paper computer typed...as a requisite when we arrived on our course....

Advantage...less lost of time....much more readable for the instructor.

We are in 2006 not in the 60's were computer were not available...

I type more on my computer then I write with a pen.

(It is  my op onion) :-\

mysteriousmind said:
I just don't understand why the panic with written vs computer written Bio.
I have a really bad hand writting...and I don't think re-writing my bio 5x times will make me a batter soldier.
Should we just get the paper computer typed...as a requisite when we arrived on our course....
Advantage...less lost of time....much more readable for the instructor.
We are in 2006 not in the 60's were computer were not available...
I type more on my computer then I write with a pen.
(It is  my op onion) :-\

Quite a few points on what you just wrote.

First.  Your opinion doesn't count.

Second.  When you don't have a calculator or a computer, for a multitude of reasons, you will have what soldiers over 1000 years have used with great success, their brains, a pencil and paper.

Third.  How long is the extension cord that you are willing to carry to provide power to your computer, if you have one?

There are a lot more points, but I'll let you digest these ones first.

Thou shall not start an autobiography with:

"I was born in Montreal, after escaping multiple scheduled abortions..."

Staff will NOT share the humor, or even appreciate the honesty.  ;)

I understand.

But...I dont agree....and since Im not have started yet my BMQ...I can say it :)

If they tell me to write it...il do it.

"I was born in Montreal, after escaping multiple scheduled abortions..."

- Interesting point. Say, how many future recruits does Canada lose by aborting 100,000 babies a year?

There is a very high chance you will have to re-write your autobiography. I just finished my fourth one haha

TCBF said:
Ref the above: Don't Be Lazy!  Do NOT accept typed autobiographies!  Give out 'special' paper so previously written autobiographies cannot be handed in!

Okay,  I'll admit it,  that vexed me.  I think I was just called lazy.  In truth I am a bad speller.  I wanted to have a good autobiography so I prepaired it before hand.  It wasn't about doing it the easy way,  it wasn't about somehow cheating the system it was about prepairing in advance so that I could do the best job I could. I had heard that they collect the papers before hand and then make people rewrite them or give out special paper to write on so I kept a good copy folded up in my pocket in case I had to write it over.  I saw about a third of the students had to redo them because of poor handwriting and other issues.  Mine looked nice, had exactly the information they requested (and nothing more) and was 527 words, not including my name. They accepted it and while other people were getting flack for not doing it right I was on break enjoying my diet coke addiction in the fresh air with the other people who did it right the first time. (there were people who after three days and six submissions hadn't produced a proper autobiography.)

The autobiography's serve a purpose.  They let your instructors get to know you, so they can make better decisions in your training.  There are many other opportunities for them to test and challenge your metal, I think this shows them who can get the job done if the person knows exactly what is expected of them and they have more than enough time to do it.

I'm on a new course this weekend.  I still have the biography on my computer, I'm going to use the exact same one,  the only section that has changed is previous experience. I'll print it out, transcribe by hand and keep the print out version in my pocket in case I have to redo it, as a reference for spelling. 

mysteriousmind said:
I understand.

But...I dont agree....and since Im not have started yet my BMQ...I can say it :)

If they tell me to write it...il do it.

If that is the attitude you are starting with, I cant wait for you to show up. In reference to autobiographies, everything that has been said on this site is generally correct. All this banter in reference to specific details, dont sweat it until you get here and see what kind of staff you have.

"Okay,  I'll admit it,  that vexed me.  I think I was just called lazy. "

- Read it more and it will vex you less: I was encouraging the instructors not to be lazy by accepting pre-typed autobiographies.  The reasons why are HERE:

Quote from: TCBF on February 20, 2005, 01:04:26
When I was a Platoon Commander in St. Jean, I would ask nicely if any one had wisely decided to save me valuable time by pre-writing their biography.  Some would smile and say "Yes, Warrant!"  I would then collect them and make them all do it again by hand.  Why?

1.  Pressure - you learn a lot about someone when they write under pressure.

2. No time to edit.  Amazing.  I told another instructor that if we could take a 60 man platoons  of autobiographies and show the people of Canada what some of their youth went through - the reality of life - we would have a bestseller.  You know the first half hour of "Full Metal Jacket"? That is NOTHING compared to what some kids have gone through in their home lives before joining the Army. 

3. Penmanship, Grammer, general Literacy.  Indicators of future coping problems due to FAS/ADD/ADHD/sociopathic issues, etc.  The recruits of today are tomorrows RSMs.  We are already a semi-literate Army, we can't afford to get worse. At some point, It's just bad economics to throw good money after bad.  We have to cut our losses.  Sorry.

4. I would stay that night until ALL the bios were written, then I would take them home and read them.  I would re-read about a fifth, then re-reread about one or two more.  I would get to sleep about three or four, but, it had to be done. 

Tom

I'm sorry, but did I not make the four reasons above CLEAR ENOUGH?

TCBF said:
I'm sorry, but did I not make the four reasons above CLEAR ENOUGH?

TCBF, as a former CFSME instructor i have found student biographies to be an indicator o alot of things.  One year i had a student who worte his biography and it was incomprehensible.  The student in question could not even spell his own last name the correct way 4 times out of 5.

Yes instructors do read them, i know i read every single one and had some good laughs and like you , was horrified at some of the stories.  It gave me insight into the mind of my students and on more than a few occasion i could relate what i had read to the behaviour exibited y that same student.

Mysteriousmind........you as of yet do not know enough to question what is required of you. It is irrelevant wether you agree or not.  Not one in St-Jean is going to seek your opinion.

I understand that my opinions is worth as much as much as the dirth I have on my boots after working a day outside... wich is nothing. And ill live with it. 

I will continue to say what I always said.

What ever they will be telling to do ill do it. ill shut up and do it like if it was the best thing I ever did.

Auto-bios also lets the instructors see how closely the soldier can follow instructions. Also...just a side note, the 7-day BOQ is nothing like the BMQ you will experience, either at St-Jean or at your local units.

Back