• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Authority for Police Reports from outside agencies

rocksteady

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know what Act/Sec MP's get their authority to obtain police reports from outside agency?  I need to quote the specific act/section.

Thanks

It might have something to do with this section of the NDA:

Rules of Evidence

Regulations to establish rules
181. (1) Subject to this Act, the rules of evidence at trials by court martial shall be such as are established by regulations made by the Governor in Council.

Publication

(2) No regulation made under this section is effective until it has been published in the Canada Gazette and every such regulation shall be laid before Parliament within fifteen days after it is made or, if Parliament is not then in session, within fifteen days after the commencement of the next ensuing session.

R.S., c. N-4, s. 158.

Admission of documents and records
182. (1) Such classes of documents and records as are prescribed in regulations made by the Governor in Council may be admitted, as evidence of the facts therein stated, at trials by court martial or in any proceedings before civil courts arising out of those trials, and the conditions governing the admissibility of those classes of documents and records or copies thereof shall be as prescribed in those regulations.

I am naturally having trouble deciphering the laywer-speak.

No that has nothing to do with what I am talking about.  It's not evidence for trial or anything like that.  Just simple police reports from other agencies.

Do you mean like an Act which forces a civilian agency to give us a copy of their report?  If so, there is no such thing and, in fact, it is getting harder to get hard copies of non-court related reports and/or documents due to Provincial privacy legislation, especially if you do not have a pre-existing relationship with the agency in question.

Back