• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Australian Army Combat Badge

Well it looks that I have upset someone.  Like I said it is just my opinion so I will not apologise for you deciding to be disgusted.

Rather than get all hot and bothered and telling me to STFU (no mater how kindly and politely), how about making a case for the badges.  What is your argument in their favour?  Why have two badges (ICB and ACB)?  Is there a suggestion that one is better than the other?

Nothing I said makes light of any soldier, KIA, WIA or otherwise.  Nor does my view cheapen the awards to those who were given them.  My argument is that they are unnecessary and divisive. I think it can led to a have / have not view of soldiers where those who have are viewed as somehow better than those without.  Yet the best soldier may not have been in a shoot out and thus no badge, yet a significantly inferior soldier who has been shot at does get one and could be viewed as somehow better.

I am open to changing my view on this matter.  It is not something I loose sleep over you know. 

As for my profile, well I put on it as much as I want to.

Have fun from somewhere not in the tropics, but might as well be for the amount of rain the past few weeks.

TheNomad said:
Well it looks that I have upset someone.  Like I said it is just my opinion so I will not apologise for you deciding to be disgusted.

Rather than get all hot and bothered and telling me to STFU (no mater how kindly and politely), how about making a case for the badges.  What is your argument in their favour?  Why have two badges (ICB and ACB)?  Is there a suggestion that one is better than the other?

Nothing I said makes light of any soldier, KIA, WIA or otherwise.  Nor does my view cheapen the awards to those who were given them.  My argument is that they are unnecessary and divisive. I think it can led to a have / have not view of soldiers where those who have are viewed as somehow better than those without.  Yet the best soldier may not have been in a shoot out and thus no badge, yet a significantly inferior soldier who has been shot at does get one and could be viewed as somehow better.

I am open to changing my view on this matter.  It is not something I loose sleep over you know. 

As for my profile, well I put on it as much as I want to.

Have fun from somewhere not in the tropics, but might as well be for the amount of rain the past few weeks.

Dear Mr Nomad,

Why make a case for these badges when they have been adopted by my country.

ICB goes back to the 1960's, ACB was brought in for all other Corps shy of Infantry, allowing RAInf to keep some identity.

I am not going to question my country's award system. It suits us fine.

I would never insult your country's award system, why insult mine.

If you are not in favour of Canada adopting similar things, thats fair enough, you can express that opinion in another thread, for this thread is on the ICB/ACB of Australia.

Our award system is ours, to compare it to Boy Scouts, well thats an insult. Your post does cheapen the awards by how it is worded.

The ICB/ACB is one small badge, sitting 1cm above any medals.

Shy of my name tag, rank, Corps shoulder title, RAEME lanyard, and AIRN compliance, thats all thats on my dress uniform. Thats after a total of going on 34 yrs service in two armies.

Do have a good day.

OWDU

I have to agree with Wes.These badges have been authorized for wear by Australian service members who meet the requirements.If you look at what is worn on the chest by British,Canadian and Aussies there isnt alot of decorations.Now Nomad had you been discussing the US service member I would agree completely with your comments.

I agree with Wes as well. Nomad you're way out of line.

The joy of a discussion thread when people get upset about a perceived slight!

I am not out of line, but such accusations are one way to try and kill off dissenting opinion.  Not thinking they are worth anything does not make anyone "out of line".  It is called having ones own opinion and the ability to enter into discussion about it. 

For those who are interested I am a New Zealander who did his time in the British Army in both the infantry and the military police, not that this gives my opinion greater of lesser weight than anyone else's.  However, you can see I am anti-army, be-it Australian, British, Canadian, New Zealand, or US.

Tomahawk6, you are right about the number of badges worn by the US troops.  Hence I sometimes think that these sort of badges are the first step on the road to that sort of badge overkill - hence the Boy Scout look.  They are not a gallantry awards.  To me they appear more like an extra "gizit" on top of the campaign medals.

I am sure that my once again, failing to "toe the line" will lead to more accusations of insulting the awards system, belittleing the KIA , WIA etc.  Not that I am doing any of the above, just having a different view of some particular badges. My view of them does not cheapen them for those that like them, or feel they have earned them, or feel they would like to given one.

Still I expect to be told to STFU etc. again.

TheNomad said:
... However, you can see I am anti-army, be-it Australian, British, Canadian, New Zealand, or US.

Greetings Mr En Zedda,

Kind Sir, I think your quote sums it up here. If you are that way so inclined, why sniff around on a military site in the first place, creating controversy?

Anti army and what appears to be beginning to troll too. Have some manners!

Mate, and I use this term loosly, if you would read my posts completely, there are other ways to vent your concern,  by not being so rude. if you want to spar or have pissing contest, I am not interested in dealing with another blind face with an INet attitude. I am too old for that shyte, and its nearly 0300h here Sunday am.

I respect anyone's oipinion, its how it put forth with an attitude which has rubbed me (and others) the wrong way.

Your arrogance is shining thru. If more than one person agrees with how you have expressed your view, than it you that has the problem, not us. If you can't see what you have done, you are either stupid or in denial, or more likely looking to create problems.

Again, opinions I can respect, but how you go about it is another matter.

Have a good diddly day now.

Regards from the other side of the ditch,

OWDU

EDITed for clarity and the usual stupid spellling mistakes

Now I have embarrassed myself, for that should have read I am NOT anti-army  :-[

As for my view of such badges etc we shall have to agree to disagree.

I am no troll etc.  I just have my own views about them. This has never been a sparing or pissing contest for me.

Back