• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Australian Army Combat Badge

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
This is the Army's Combat Badge, and is what all other Corps than Infantry are awarded. Similar to the US CIB, our ACB is smaller, only 3cm accross, bronze, and worn only on the dress uniform 1cm above the ribbon bar, or medals. There is a miniture for Mess kit, about 12mm accross. There is no cloth version for field uniforms.

Our ACB's were awarded to us after 90 days in theatre (although not given out until our medal's parade), not everyone is elligable for this, as special criteria has to be met, again similar to other countries awarding criteria.

When Canada develops their version, I'd like to see that posted on here. I will endeavour to post the Infantry Combat Badge (IBC) version. I do have one somewhere as its part of a collection, just have to find it.

Regards,

Wes

Combat Infantry Badge and Combat Mission Badges are still in the works.
But entitlement is supposed to go back to 9 Sept 01.... whenever it does come out.

( Will hasle the area CWO to see where the project is sitting.... :) some CWOs know everything :) )

Combat Infantry Badge and Combat Mission Badges are still in the works.

The correct term is Combat Action Insignia and they will be awarded in Bronze (receiving enemy fire), silver (delivering fire against enemy), and gold (deliberate combat operations).

Uhh... ok, I took the term from a ppt presentation from Nov 06... guess the terms are progressing

We have an ongoing thread for the Canadian version.
Thanks

Gunner said:
The correct term is Combat Action Insignia and they will be awarded in Bronze (receiving enemy fire), silver (delivering fire against enemy), and gold (deliberate combat operations).

My understanding is that they've chopped it to two... RUMINT, but reliable considering my source. I'll have to track down the ongoing thread.

I would have thought that the Cdn version would have been grandfathered at least to those that went through Medak in Sept 93. Not bitter, but if you read the citation for the commendation it fits the bill.

Noneck

noneck said:
I would have thought that the Cdn version would have been grandfathered at least to those that went through Medak in Sept 93. Not bitter, but if you read the citation for the commendation it fits the bill.
Noneck
considering it's not out yet, anything is possible.  Why do you say that FRY & Medak will be excluded?
How about Somalia & even when the CAR was in Cyprus taking fire? 

" considering it's not out yet, anything is possible.  Why do you say that FRY & Medak will be excluded?
How about Somalia & even when the CAR was in Cyprus taking fire? "

GEO because a post above states that it will go back as far as 9 Sept 01, I was merely looking for clarification. There are obviously folks on this board who have current  and reliable Int on the subject...not that I am trying to exclude any missions or previous actions. All those actions you mentioned are worthy, that's why I believe this badge will open Pandoras box.!

Noneck

Sad that our allies have to follow our own bad example with this award. :)

I hear it's going to happen, but have not seen anything on paper yet. It will be well received by the men.

We earned ours, and many play it down, but know bloody well its a award well deserved.

I am proud of mine!

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley  Down Under said:
Our ACB's were awarded to us after 90 days in theatre (although not given out until our medal's parade), not everyone is elligable for this, as special criteria has to be met, again similar to other countries awarding criteria.

Wes
What criteria besides being there for 90 days does it require?

What I'm waiting to see is the awarding of this to units from 2001 up to now.Who get's it is going to be interesting.Who doesnt even more interesting.

tomahawk6 said:
Sad that our allies have to follow our own bad example with this award. :)

I don't think it will make a huge difference.The divide is there in our military units now IMHO.You were either on the last OP or you were not.

The Infantry Combat Badge or ICB, may only be awarded to a serving member of the Australian Army who has given, either continuous or aggregate, 90 days satisfactory service as an infantryman in operations.  Service as an infantryman means service as a member of the  Royal Australian Infantry Corps in an infantry posting in an Australian Infantry Battalion, Independent Rifle Company,
Commando Company, Special Air Service Regiment, or other such Australian unit as may be designated by the Chief of General Staff.
Operations is defined as service in a war or campaign in respect of which a campaign star or medal is awarded. 
Special circumstances exist where members of other Corps may be awarded the badge.  These are dealt with on a case by case basis by an Infantry Combat Badge Committee.

ARMY COMBAT BADGE
INTRODUCTION
1.The Army Combat Badge (ACB) is awarded to any member of the Australian Regular Army or Army Reserve on Continuous Full-time Service or other Reserve member in exceptional circumstances, for service in warlike operations or situations. This award does not replace the Infantry Combat Badge (ICB).
PURPOSE
2.The purpose of the ACB is to recognise any member of the Army who was force assigned to an infantry, armour, artillery, aviation or combat engineer based combat team/battle group, or similar unit/sub-unit, and who has served for a specified period of time on warlike operations. In exceptional circumstances, service on operations whilst serving in other than warlike activities, such as peacekeeping operations, or for units outside those designated above, may be recognised with the award of the ACB.

Elegibility:

Note the ICB is the same, but for Infantry Corps only.

Not everyone on Ops gets the badge.

11.Any Army member of any corps of the ARA, High Readiness or Active Reserve, except Royal Australian Infantry Corps, who were force assigned to a combat team or battle group. The member may be male or female, who has given either continuous or an aggregate of 90 days satisfactory service in warfighting operations for a single deployment or operation. The Chief of Army may alter the eligibility criteria depending on the operation or deployment. Qualification criteria include, but are not limited to the following:

a.the member or group was involved in direct combat with an adversary; and

b.the member or group were involved in actions that were intended to bring them into contact with an adversary, such as fighting patrols, ambushing or advance to contact, not including clearing patrols.

12.The ACB may also be awarded in the following special circumstances:
a.except as regards length of service, satisfies the requirement of paragraph 11. and who, in respect of service, has been decorated for gallantry, wounded in action, or evacuatedfrom the theatre of operations because of a disability (not self-inflicted) attributable to that service; or

b.been involved in direct combat with an adversary in an other than warlike operation(such as a peace keeping operation), or

c.serves in a conflict either with Australian forces or on exchange, but where that operation is less than 90 days, but in all other circumstances, the nature of the conflict would qualify for the ACB. Applications are to be recommended by the SAACC in theatre or the Head of Defence Staff of the country with which the member was deployed.

13.The award of the ACB is not retrospective. Members who are on operations at the time when this instruction is signed will be eligible to apply for the ACB. The ACB can only be awarded once

I just saw this thread and thought I'd weigh in on the topic. In my opinion, a combat badge ist a good thing and in the US Army, it was way overdue. When we got home from Desert Storm, there was talk about implementing a Combat Armor/Cavalry Badge in the US Army. I saw some examples in the Army Times, but the Infantry Branch shot it down. At the time, I was a 19D Cavalry Scout on a Bradley Fighting Vehicle and we could not understand the whole badge thing. BFV Infantrymen (the old 11M MOS) and mortarmen (11C) received the CIB for Desert Storm, but the tankers and scouts that they fought beside had no badges. Our medics received the Combat Medical Badge, but the Armor Soldiers they treated and fought beside didn't have any badges to earn by serving in combat.

The infantry badge thing was especially puzzling since the 19D MOS once upon a time was 11D (Infantry scout) and was reclassifed in the 70s into the Armor Branch. We crewed the same vehicles as our infantrymen, shot the same gunnery tables, and in most instances, were out in front of them during the war. This isn't sour grapes since I'm retired and wouldn't be wearing any badge nowadays.

The Combat Action Badge is a way of showing that the wearer has served in extrraordinary conditions. That, plus the campaign/service medals tells a story of devotion to duty under fire. my hat's off to anyone who rates these badges. In the US Army, the CAB only is authorized for Soldiers who serve in combat post-9/11. I guess the Army brass figured they would've been snowed under with award requests from old Soldiers from previous wars.

cheers, Mark

PS - I remembered an old saying we had - "Badges, we don't need no stinking badges. We let our guns do our talking, and gun smoke smells better than horse shit."

I hear ya Red.... I would imagine the Combat Engineers would have felt the same way about it in the US.  Considering they do occasionaly spend some time at the pointy end of the stick, am positive that some would wonder what all the fuss was about..... why give the infantry anything, Eh ???

Too many badges in my opinion.  If you want to see what a combat infantry badge looks like look at an infantry cap badge.  If it is an infantry cap badge then combat infantry is what you are.  If you want to look at an armoured combat badge look at your cap badge and see if you are armoured corps then guess what?

I think these particular badges are divisive.  I am glad the British Army does not have them (yet).  Do not think that this is sour grapes from an MP.  I started my career in the infantry and would have qualified for a combat infantry badge in my own right as an infantryman in my time.

I think people should reflect what the role of the infantry is.  They are all combat trained infantrymen. So who needs an extra special badge.  Does having been on a two way range make you more of an infantryman?  On current operations most of the contacts are initiated by the enemy, so it is down to pot luck if you end up fighting rather than a matter of being more macho and warry than the next guy.  Being shot at does not by definition mean you are a better soldier than someone who does not have a badge.  It could have been that your tactics on the ground were so poor that you invited the enemy to attack, so why a badge as some sort of award?  On the other hand you could be the best infantry soldier the world has ever seen, but still the same badge.  Hence I do not like this sort of badge.  It is really just a bit of extra bling.  Of  course I recognise that soldiers love bling.  They always have.  It was Napoleon who said, "Give me enough coloured ribband and I could conquer the world".

Everyone who signed up has already signalled that they have made the choice to willingly take part in combat so, again I ask why an extra badge.  Why not a combat cook's badge if they end up in shoot out etc?  Where does one draw the line?

Too many badges makes it look like a boy scout collection.  If you really deserve something then gallentry awards are available.  If you want recognition for doing your job in theatre, campaign medals are available, if you want reward for just doing your job - well that's what the monthly pay is for.

Just my view. I am sure that there are plenty who disagree.

TheNomad said:
Too many badges in my opinion. Why not a combat cook's badge if they end up in shoot out etc? 

Too many badges makes it look like a boy scout collection. 

Dear Mr Nomad,

Kind Sir, firstly, even cooks who engage the enemy get the ACB.

The ICB has been around since Viet Nam, thats over 40 yrs ago now. Yes, we sent over 50,000 troops to that war with over 500 KIA.

The ACB was put forward for all other Corps than Infantry, as prior to this, all Corps got the ICB.

Your comments touched a nerve with me.

I earned my ACB.

Don't cheapen my (and others who have been WIA and KIA) award by such degrading comments.

Unless you know, and understand the customs and traditions of my country's Army, then kindly and politely STFU.

As much as I respect your opinion, well thats one thing, but to cheapen an award which is right and just in my Army's award system, is in very VERY bad taste.

One can express his displeasure with an award by using the appropiate language.

For the record, you comment did not offend me, it disgusted me.

Do have a most enjoyable day wherever and whoever you are. Your profile is empty.

Kind regards from the tropics,

OWDU

Back